Welcome Gibson Jimerson

billikentim

2 hours ago, ACE said:

No doubt a real PG would have helped. Soderberg was never able to get a really good one. To say he was always just a player away is a bit of a stretch. He also struggled to land decent 4's, that's why Luke Meyer spent so much time there, and the rosters lacked depth.

Agree that Soderberg was never just a player away....Lisch, Liddell and Voyukas were the top recruits, the rest were average players at best. 

Grawer/Winfield=top recruiters in West Pine Gym era, likely just a player away (Upchurch) from Big Dance. Spoon a close 2nd, with lucky breaks in getting Hughes, Waldman.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no recollection of Brandon Morris.  Any clue?  He was our 20th rated recruit this century.  

He mght have been the fouker from Minnesota. Not sure. The ones I got a kick out of were Obi, Knollmeyer, and Thompson listed at like number 3. 

15 hours ago, thetorch said:
  • The 03-04 team might have been in line for a NCAA tournament berth with Fischer, Bryant, and Morris anchoring the backcourt.  Then the 9-21 year probably never happens with Morris able to play even with all the other injuries.  Soderberg was always just a player away and this one was one of them.

Could've had Ahearn as a freshman that year instead of Clarke too.

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Oh my gosh.  Look at who 247 says our third highest ranked recruit is since 2000.  And our 6th highest ranked recruit.  Yikes.  This site has a problem with it's rankings.

https://247sports.com/college/saint-louis/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

They have Reggie Bryant sandwiched between Anthony Mitchell and Paul Ecklerle near the bottom of the list.

To be fair, those are rankings of how highly regarded the players were as recruits. It was early in my fandom, but I remember Thompson having some pretty good offers and being a fringe Top 100 type player. We hadn’t gotten a lot of those type recruits in the Before Ford Era. 

40 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

To be fair, those are rankings of how highly regarded the players were as recruits. It was early in my fandom, but I remember Thompson having some pretty good offers and being a fringe Top 100 type player. We hadn’t gotten a lot of those type recruits in the Before Ford Era. 

offers from Bama, cinci, IU, Iowa state, ND, etc

Here’s an extended highlight video (didn’t see it posted in the thread).  Man, there is a lot to like about this kid’s shooting ability and ability to finish at the rim.  With a little work in our strength and conditioning program, he could really turn into a special offensive weapon (while being serviceable, at worst, defensively).  

8 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Here’s an extended highlight video (didn’t see it posted in the thread).  Man, there is a lot to like about this kid’s shooting ability and ability to finish at the rim.  With a little work in our strength and conditioning program, he could really turn into a special offensive weapon (while being serviceable, at worst, defensively).  

My only thing I can find to criticize is his slow release and that’s reaching.

11 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Fair point.  I like how he offsets this with his ability to create a little space for his shot. 

I don't watch a ton of highschool ball but his release doesn't look "Luke Meyer slow."   In any case we need someone to catch and shoot for Goodwin to get that quadruple double.  

thought i was watching the audition for jimmy chitwood for the sequel to hoosiers.   this guy is gonna be fun to watch.   and as said by rich, the recipient of a lot of drive and dish assists by goodwin.  

HenryB likes this

as to the slow release observation, first, his step back is fantastic and even if someone is playing lisch belly button defense on him, i think jimerson showed the ablity to then go to the basket and use his size (6'5" should translate well to the college ranks) to get a mid range jumper which he makes as well.   

second, the guy appears to have no range limits.   some of those shots were 5 feet behind the line or more!   if he is making those, talk about screwing with the defense!

my biggest question will be his ability to guard.   will he be a step slow.   brings back memories of spoon telling highmark, if you cant guard someone, you better be able to out score your defender if you want to play.  foryou youngsters that never saw him play,  highmark played a lot 

15 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Just about anyone can make a highlight video to show just their good moments; what impresses me about Gibson Jimerson's is that his is 8 minutes long.  That's from one high school season.

The kid simply doesn't miss.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as to the slow release observation, first, his step back is fantastic and even if someone is playing lisch belly button defense on him, i think jimerson showed the ablity to then go to the basket and use his size (6'5" should translate well to the college ranks) to get a mid range jumper which he makes as well.   

second, the guy appears to have no range limits.   some of those shots were 5 feet behind the line or more!   if he is making those, talk about screwing with the defense!

my biggest question will be his ability to guard.   will he be a step slow.   brings back memories of spoon telling highmark, if you cant guard someone, you better be able to out score your defender if you want to play.  foryou youngsters that never saw him play,  highmark played a lot 

Great stuff, Roy. His defensive ability is my biggest question mark too. However, I’m encouraged by (1) his decent athleticism when he has the ball and (2) the results our new strength and conditioning team is getting with our current players.  Ultimately, with the necessary work, I think Jimerson will be just fine on D.  I think Ford got one helluva player.