Welcome Gibson Jimerson

billikentim

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Here's what EW told me directly:  he plans to play 2 years, and he feels great and his feet are 100%.  He has an option to apply for a medical hardship and play a 3rd year, but presently does not plan to do that and in any case, there is no guarantee he would be able to do that.  He's been running well, looking very good, and a full participant in all practices as far as I know...  & if you line up everyone against a wall, he is the tallest guy,  FWIW.

Thanks Doc for the update

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Here's what EW told me directly:  he plans to play 2 years, and he feels great and his feet are 100%.  He has an option to apply for a medical hardship and play a 3rd year, but presently does not plan to do that and in any case, there is no guarantee he would be able to do that.  He's been running well, looking very good, and a full participant in all practices as far as I know...  & if you line up everyone against a wall, he is the tallest guy,  FWIW.

-thanks DocB, good info, I hope EW stays healthy and has a great season as we could use him

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Could be an interesting situation 2 years down the road if Welmer stays healthy & is really productive.  We'd obviously want him for an extra year in that scenario, but it would be understandable for him to want to move on.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Could be an interesting situation 2 years down the road if Welmer stays healthy & is really productive.  We'd obviously want him for an extra year in that scenario, but it would be understandable for him to want to move on.

Welmer graduated in 3 years back in May with a marketing degree. Is he currently in the MBA program? I would have to imagine he will have that wrapped up over the next two seasons (I assume he already has a summer under his belt), well done young(?) man! 

On 9/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, gobillsgo said:

According to 247, our 2019 recruiting class is now ranked #41 in the nation and #1 in the A10.  With scholarships remaining.

Oh my gosh.  Look at who 247 says our third highest ranked recruit is since 2000.  And our 6th highest ranked recruit.  Yikes.  This site has a problem with it's rankings.

https://247sports.com/college/saint-louis/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

They have Reggie Bryant sandwiched between Anthony Mitchell and Paul Ecklerle near the bottom of the list.

QUAILMAN likes this

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Oh my gosh.  Look at who 247 says our third highest ranked recruit is since 2000.  And our 6th highest ranked recruit.  Yikes.  This site has a problem with it's rankings.

They have Reggie Bryant sandwiched between Anthony Mitchell and Paul Ecklerle near the bottom of the list.

This was a fun list to review years later. 

Suffice to say - rankings aren’t completely determinative 

Back to Gibson, I watched the video, linked on page 1 of this thread and was impressed, but after watching the 8 min video linked in the A10 Talk article on this commitment, I am blown away!  This guy has range out to 30 feet and shows the ability to shoot while moving to either his right or left along with the ability to step back to get open.  That video even shows some defense on his part.

If you haven't watched that video, it's worth a look for any Billiken fan.

Schasz likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This list was actually quite humorous. Some major failures on there. 

•  
59 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Soderberg JUCO PG recruit.  Was never eligible.  Ended up having a nice career at Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Played at Iowa Western, after Kenny Brown.  Grew up close to Nick Van Exel and dreamed of playing in CUSA like him.  He missed getting a C in a class by a percentage point so SLU said he couldn't play the week before school started.  He had 3 years of eligibility left and offered to sit out a year or go back to JUCO and come back but Soderberg pulled the scholarship.  He was 2nd team all horizon player his jr year, and then was hurt his sr year but put up similar numbers.  In retrospect a huge loss for Soderberg.  Morris moves Drejaj and Polk to bench for 2 years.  The 03-04 team might have been in line for a NCAA tournament berth with Fischer, Bryant, and Morris anchoring the backcourt.  Then the 9-21 year probably never happens with Morris able to play even with all the other injuries.  Soderberg was always just a player away and this one was one of them.

23 minutes ago, thetorch said:
  •  

Played at Iowa Western, after Kenny Brown.  Grew up close to Nick Van Exel and dreamed of playing in CUSA like him.  He missed getting a C in a class by a percentage point so SLU said he couldn't play the week before school started.  He had 3 years of eligibility left and offered to sit out a year or go back to JUCO and come back but Soderberg pulled the scholarship.  He was 2nd team all horizon player his jr year, and then was hurt his sr year but put up similar numbers.  In retrospect a huge loss for Soderberg.  Morris moves Drejaj and Polk to bench for 2 years.  The 03-04 team might have been in line for a NCAA tournament berth with Fischer, Bryant, and Morris anchoring the backcourt.  Then the 9-21 year probably never happens with Morris able to play even with all the other injuries.  Soderberg was always just a player away and this one was one of them.

No doubt a real PG would have helped. Soderberg was never able to get a really good one. To say he was always just a player away is a bit of a stretch. He also struggled to land decent 4's, that's why Luke Meyer spent so much time there, and the rosters lacked depth.