Jon Rothstein Travis Ford Podcast

Love the part about Goodwin learning from Bess’ leadership. “JB is one of the best leaders I’ve ever been around, off the charts, and JG has really benefitted from that.” 

On CG, “For his size unbelievable agility, can really handle the ball, unselfish with the ball, what’s impressed me most has been his coachability and his competitiveness. Yes sir. No sir.”

On STL, “These guys love representing their city and take a lot of pride in that. Only school in the city.” 

On HF, “Put a lot of pressure on him right of the bat to produce last season. Trying to expand his game out from under the rim. Stretch his game and let him handle the ball, one of the better perimeter 1 on 1 players we have. Working on FTs and 3s. Capable of doing it we just weren’t able to showcase it a lot last year.”

Talked about trying to pick up on Majerus’ acute attention to detail. Pitino’s game-planning. How tough and time consuming scheduling is now. 

Message to team, “Be prepared to be picked to win the league, but you haven’t earned any of that.” 

Biggest key, “Chemistry, synergy, and be true to our identify — aggressive, tough, big, physical, play harder.” 

Rothstein thinks we can be the trendy, talented, buzzy national team heading into the tournament a la Nevada a season ago. 

Puts JG on A-10 preseason 1st Team.

This is not about the Rothstein podcast but I think it is worthwhile to check out. It is a primer on the new players at SLU with comments on the players and (for most players video clips). The link is here and also in the front page of billikens.com

https://www.a10talk.com/saint-louis-basketball-newcomer-primer/

I really liked the clips showing Gordon, Isabell and Jacobs. If this was posted in this board already I apologize.

slufanskip likes this

Good interview. Nothing in the way of details to add to what @majerus mojo said above. Ford seems to be striking a good balance of optimism and reminding his guys that nothing is given and it has to be earned. Not much in the way of new information, but some valuable perspective. It also helps to have an active national college basketball media presence like Rothstein hyping us.

I was also reminded of how much I dislike the format of sports radio (and podcasts, apparently), with the echoing voice and wall-to-wall musical interludes - i.e. "JON ROTHSTEIN'S TOP TRANSFERS!" - it just grates on me.

I also find Rothstein himself to be a bit of a goofball. Deadspin had a good piece on his Twitter feed in particular, one that I had stopped following after a few months because I found it so annoying.

It's a shame because he seems to work hard and know his stuff and is a decent on-mic and on-camera presence despite some tics and habits, like overuse of words like "obviously" and going so fast he messes up details and doesn't stop to correct himself (like referring to us as "St. Bonaventure" once or twice during the podcast). I like him enough to be interested in what he says and just wish he'd stop being a weirdo on Twitter and would ditch some of the old sports radio tropes to be a little better.

57 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Good interview. Nothing in the way of details to add to what @majerus mojo said above. Ford seems to be striking a good balance of optimism and reminding his guys that nothing is given and it has to be earned. Not much in the way of new information, but some valuable perspective. It also helps to have an active national college basketball media presence like Rothstein hyping us.

I was also reminded of how much I dislike the format of sports radio (and podcasts, apparently), with the echoing voice and wall-to-wall musical interludes - i.e. "JON ROTHSTEIN'S TOP TRANSFERS!" - it just grates on me.

I also find Rothstein himself to be a bit of a goofball. Deadspin had a good piece on his Twitter feed in particular, one that I had stopped following after a few months because I found it so annoying.

It's a shame because he seems to work hard and know his stuff and is a decent on-mic and on-camera presence despite some tics and habits, like overuse of words like "obviously" and going so fast he messes up details and doesn't stop to correct himself (like referring to us as "St. Bonaventure" once or twice during the podcast). I like him enough to be interested in what he says and just wish he'd stop being a weirdo on Twitter and would ditch some of the old sports radio tropes to be a little better.

I can see why people find him annoying. I kind of like how he tweets out the same positive message every morning (instead of scheduling them) and he obviously could not give a flying F about what people think of him on social media. That's pretty rare in a time when most people are concerned with racking up as many followers on social media as possible.  I think that's why I kind of like him....he's kind of a nerd. Now, none of that has anything to do with his abilities as a college basketball insider but give me a high energy, hard-working goofball with a positive message that accidentally calls us "St. Bonaventure" once or twice during a 20 min interview over an insecure loudmouth know-it-all that argues with his social media followers and is more concerned with public perception than their ability to do their job . But that's just me...

Billiken Rich likes this

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I can see why people find him annoying. I kind of like how he tweets out the same positive message every morning (instead of scheduling them) and he obviously could not give a flying F about what people think of him on social media. That's pretty rare in a time when most people are concerned with racking up as many followers on social media as possible.  I think that's why I kind of like him....he's kind of a nerd. Now, none of that has anything to do with his abilities as a college basketball insider but give me a high energy, hard-working goofball with a positive message that accidentally calls us "St. Bonaventure" once or twice during a 20 min interview over an insecure loudmouth know-it-all that argues with his social media followers and is more concerned with public perception than their ability to do their job . But that's just me...

I like him cus he loves SLU

15 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I acknowledge my quibbles are relatively minor. I just have a hard time taking guys seriously when I have to read through their morning affirmations before getting a piece of worthwhile information.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

If you want a great sports podcast American Fiasco is unbelievable 

FromDaEastSide likes this

Why are we looking a gift horse in the mouth? We're always whining about never getting any respect or pub. Well, Rothstein's giving it to us in spades. The guy's probably as "expert" as one can get when it comes to college hoops, and I'm thinking he really thinks the Bills can be one of the bigger surprises of the upcoming season. As Ford says, though, no team's gonna give a hoot how much Rothstein builds us up in July, December, or March we have to earn it. Still, on paper we're looking pretty pretty good, as Larry David would say.

National pub is the bottom line.  As much as I hate Dickie V., Seth Greenberg, or Jerry Palm, national pub is national pub.  The typical fan is never happy. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Ford, "I think in the next few years people will be talking about the Atlantic 10 in the same terms (as the Big East)."

This may seem like a bit of a stretch today, but I can see where he's coming from. It all depends upon the coaches in each league. If Travis stays at SLU, I can see him building us into a Zaga maybe even a Nova. As for the rest of the two leagues, it's not like the A10 is competing against the SEC or B10. The schools in the league are very similar in size, mission, endowments, facilities, and locations. What the Beast has going for it, besides a red hot Nova program right now, is the big TV contract and a tradition of great hoops. However, a lot of the teams that made the Beast great are gone.

I'd maintain that some of the hot Beast programs in the recent past may be facing tougher futures. Will X be able to continue w/ their next man up coaching tradition? If not they could stumble and take time to recover. If Butler has a few mediocre seasons or continued coaching turnover will they be able to maintain their high level of recruiting? Seton Hall is a relative newcomer to relevance. MU is struggling since Williams left. St. John's is a gem in the rough but can't seem to be mined, much like our own Fordham. GU is going thru a rough transition from the Thompson family. Creighton's hanging in there. They can be compared to Dayton.

My point is there is no reason given all the factors that are pretty much equal and discounting the A10 for the strong Beast tradition that the A10, if it makes the right moves, could be on an equal basis w/ the Beast. Get Loyola of Chicago and drop LaSalle. Or if UMass leaves for the AAC replace them w/ Loyola. Keep Fordham for the NYC market. Just get them to hire a good coach. Dayton and VCU won't struggle for long. They'll make the necessary changes to stay relevant just like we have. Bring in Belmont if they continue to stay strong. Nashville would be a good market.

The schools are not all that different. It's the perception and that could change in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

In addition to the above, who wouldn't like to see us on an equal basis and have an Annual A10 v Beast shootout every December?

I don't want to see that because I want to see us in the Beast. Simple as that. 

3 hours ago, prebilliken said:

I don't want to see that because I want to see us in the Beast. Simple as that. 

I hear you, but it's out of our hands unless they expand. Right now there's no indication they're planning on it. Then there's no guarantee they want SLU, although it makes a lot of sense for geographical purposes. So, in the real world we want to see the A10 be the best it can be. 

The fact that Ford is saying this gives me hope that he plans on staying at SLU.  Why would he care to start talking up the long term possibilities of the A-10 unless: 1) he plans on trying to entrench himself at SLU and making it a Gonzaga, Xavier, and/or Nova type program, and 2) he believes that SLU will be staying the the A-10 for a while even if we have success?  The first part would be good news.  The second part would be bad news (or just reality, depending on how you look at it), unless he's correct that the A-10 can catch up to the Big East.

-I would love for the A10 to surpass or at least equal the BEast, but as Taj says, it is about sustainability, we (SLU) have struggled with it and so has every other program in our league, so for 6-8 members to find this sustainability for 10-15 seasons, which is what I think it would take to surpass or equal,  would be nothing short of a miracle, but miracles do happen

On 7/18/2018 at 8:56 AM, Pistol said:

It is an interesting spot for a college coach at a place like SLU.  You don't want to make the players overly confident or complacent.  At the same time, you have to talk the program up for recruiting.  Lou Holtz at Notre Dame could act like his program was going to have a hard time winning a game every season.  A guy like Ford at SLU can't do that,

50 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The fact that Ford is saying this gives me hope that he plans on staying at SLU.  Why would he care to start talking up the long term possibilities of the A-10 unless: 1) he plans on trying to entrench himself at SLU and making it a Gonzaga, Xavier, and/or Nova type program, and 2) he believes that SLU will be staying the the A-10 for a while even if we have success?  The first part would be good news.  The second part would be bad news (or just reality, depending on how you look at it), unless he's correct that the A-10 can catch up to the Big East.

I'm sure he plans on staying at SLU. The problem becomes what does he do when a Power 5 team comes after him with bigger dollars than we will pay. Hopefully you are right but most coaches go after the brighter lights. 

32 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm sure he plans on staying at SLU. The problem becomes what does he do when a Power 5 team comes after him with bigger dollars than we will pay. Hopefully you are right but most coaches go after the brighter lights. 

Just do what WSU did w/ Marshall. Pay the man.