2018-19 Schedule

ACE

On 6/13/2018 at 1:42 PM, Box and Won said:

Depending on the date of the game and my frequent flier mile balance, I may try to make it down there as well.

MoyToy and I will probably go depending on the date. You and Leon fly to Austin we get some breakfast tacos and road trip.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saint Louis is looking to fill two guarantee games. We are considering the following dates: Nov. 26/27, Dec. 19 and Dec. 29/30. Please textst.2018-2019, Guarantee - Offered2018-06-20 19:19:33

That is from the scheduling board. Nothing too exciting. But gives you some potential dates of cupcakes. 

And the Pitt deal is still a bad deal. Yuck. 

35 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Saint Louis is looking to fill two guarantee games. We are considering the following dates: Nov. 26/27, Dec. 19 and Dec. 29/30. Please textst.2018-2019, Guarantee - Offered2018-06-20 19:19:33

That is from the scheduling board. Nothing too exciting. But gives you some potential dates of cupcakes. 

Sorry, but IMO playing any ACC team is a big positive and can be looked at as a good win. 

I'm not happy that only one of the buy games we are looking to schedule is in Nov and even then it is in late Nov.  I think we need as many buy games as we can get as early in the season as possible to help this team of 9 "newcomers" come together as a unit-remember only Goodwin, French, Foreman and Bess have ever played together.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

Sorry, but IMO playing any ACC team is a big positive and can be looked at as a good win. 

I'm not happy that only one of the buy games we are looking to schedule is in Nov and even then it is in late Nov.  I think we need as many buy games as we can get as early in the season as possible to help this team of 9 "newcomers" come together as a unit-remember only Goodwin, French, Foreman and Bess have ever played together.

Perhaps some of the games the Bills are more likely on paper to win have already been scheduled but not announced.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

That is a no-win game. Win and its a mediocre win at best - quadrant 3 at best and maybe even 4. Lose and it is probably looked at as a bad loss come March. 

If this is one of those neutral court games that was part of the A10 giving up Barclays for the ACC, the ACC made a bad deal. The A10 needs to make good deals. 

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

That is a no-win game. Win and its a mediocre win at best - quadrant 3 at best and maybe even 4. Lose and it is probably looked at as a bad loss come March. 

If this is one of those neutral court games that was part of the A10 giving up Barclays for the ACC, the ACC made a bad deal. The A10 needs to make good deals. 

According to Blogging the Bracket it is going to be a a multi team event according to some email from Matt Doherty.  That would mean more teams will be added and maybe another game in NYC.  It would probably at least add a couple of those early November buy level games @baumanis looking for.

The whole thing is strange at this point.  The game against Pitt is supposed to on the Nov. 21 at the Barclays.  That is the same day as the semifinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off at the Barclays.  Maybe ESPN is looking to cut some cost by having a couple of full days of basketball broadcast from the same location.  

In drilling down on our 18-19 schedule and what dates are open for unannounced games and games still to be gotten-2 buy games- I started out with the assumption that we normally have 16 home games and that the season ticket price reflects that # of games.  (Recall out discussion from earlier this month about our willingness to give up one of our 16 home games for a quality road game.)

Since I didn't know if the annual exhibition game counted as one of the 16, I pulled out my season ticket package from last year and guess what I discovered!  We had 19 home games last year, counting the exhibition and of course Rockhurst.  So I don't know how we just accepted the fact that season ticket prices are based on 16 games.  If that had been the case then we got a real per-game ticket price bargain last year.

So here is what I think we know about our home schedule this year.  Nine A-10 games, Butler and Oregon State making eleven, an Exhibition game making 12, probably Rockhurst, making 13, two outstanding requests for buy games getting us to 15 if we can fill those openings, meaning we have somewhere between 1 and 4 games probably scheduled but not announced.  I know 2 of the home games last year (Seattle and Detroit) were part of a tournament but they were still home games that were included in our season ticket price.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

38 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

-scheduling is not easy, getting to play an ACC team, any ACC team, is not easy, go play the game and win the game

-are there a lot of teams I would like to see us play? no doubt, but it takes two to tango, I remember CMajerus trying to answer the question of which was harder - recruiting or scheduling - and he couldn't, we will never have the perfect schedule

bauman likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Remember, this isn’t only about “playing an ACC team”.  This is about getting the team comfortable and experienced with Barclay’s, the same venue which will host the A10 Championship come Spring.

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

According to Blogging the Bracket it is going to be a a multi team event according to some email from Matt Doherty.  That would mean more teams will be added and maybe another game in NYC.  It would probably at least add a couple of those early November buy level games @baumanis looking for.

The whole thing is strange at this point.  The game against Pitt is supposed to on the Nov. 21 at the Barclays.  That is the same day as the semifinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off at the Barclays.  Maybe ESPN is looking to cut some cost by having a couple of full days of basketball broadcast from the same location.  

I think there is a cost component to it as the court will already be laid out for the NIT that night and we are going to be playing a day game at Barclays. Friends and family will be in the stands. I highly doubt ESPN will be televising it.

13 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Remember, this isn’t only about “playing an ACC team”.  This is about getting the team comfortable and experienced with Barclay’s, the same venue which will host the A10 Championship come Spring.

towel

RiseAndGrind likes this

14 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Slu is close to confirming a matchup with another, heavier ACC opponent.

I would think for those conferences trying to bump up their RPI we would be an attractive opponent.  Barring anything way out of the expectations we should easily be a 75 or lower.  In fact if you were in the Mt W, WCC and the AAC you should want to schedule all your OOC games you can against the A10 top half.  Between these 4 conferences they could easily fill out their OOC.  This would help everybody and you can always keep trying to get the top teams from lower conferences if you want as well as any P5 school you can entice.  If what you report happens then an ACC opponent is even better.

14 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Please be UVA.  Ive always wondered if having UB on the staff discourages SLU and UVA from playing each other...

Why?  Soderberg isn't the head coach there, and no one at SLU — president, AD, or coach or team — from Soderberg's tenure remains at SLU.  The fact that he coached at SLU over a decade ago isn't logical as a reason for the schools not to play.

13 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Why?  Soderberg isn't the head coach there, and no one at SLU — president, AD, or coach or team — from Soderberg's tenure remains at SLU.  The fact that he coached at SLU over a decade ago isn't logical as a reason for the schools not to play.

I wonder what Asst AD Janet Oberle’s relationship is with Soderberg 

4 hours ago, TheOne said:

Slu is close to confirming a matchup with another, heavier ACC opponent.

I’m thinking we are going down the route of being a buy opponent for someone.

This one time I think it could make sense