Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

5 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

The KSTATE situation needs to end. Kids from Mehlville and Chaminade should not be passing on us to go to the little apple and play for a middling big 12 team

i thought this in particular was the biggest win from our game with them. "why go to Kstate? We beat them"

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last scholarship must go to a true 4 position player.  That type of player would not start but would get playing time coming in for French or Bell.  The question is will a recruit be willing to do that for a good team next season?

There are 3 players on the 2020 list of offers that fit the 4 position need and hopefully a top 4 finish in the A10 or another big dance post season play will draw any of the 3 to a on campus visit.

Donte Houston is the recruit I would like to see on campus so keep winning and the kids will visit.

29 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The last scholarship must go to a true 4 position player.  That type of player would not start but would get playing time coming in for French or Bell.  The question is will a recruit be willing to do that for a good team next season?

There are 3 players on the 2020 list of offers that fit the 4 position need and hopefully a top 4 finish in the A10 or another big dance post season play will draw any of the 3 to a on campus visit.

Donte Houston is the recruit I would like to see on campus so keep winning and the kids will visit.

that GT 4 that we didnt get this year would look real nice on next years roster. Our team might look very attractive for that type of guy who wants to go out a winner. A freshman big ready to play is hard to find. I would take one of course. maybe diarra heals and developes and we already have that guy

18 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

that GT 4 that we didnt get this year would look real nice on next years roster. Our team might look very attractive for that type of guy who wants to go out a winner. A freshman big ready to play is hard to find. I would take one of course. maybe diarra heals and developes and we already have that guy

High end GT bigs don’t go to SLU

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

There's no reason SLU can't attract a Barret Benson type GT big. Not a superstar, but averaging 10 ppg and 5 rpg, while shooting nearly 60% for Methdale. A player like that next year would like good.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

There's no reason SLU can't attract a Barret Benson type GT big. Not a superstar, but averaging 10 ppg and 5 rpg, while shooting nearly 60% for Methdale. A player like that next year would like good.

currently a 10 ppg and 5 rpg guy would be in the running to be our third best player.   i'd take that in a heart beat!

10 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

High end GT will go where ever the right fit is.  You need 2 things, minutes available for that position, and all the supporting pieces for a tourney run. We may just have both of those. 

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

The GT big is the next good option and I think a good team like ours would have good potential of getting one regardless of past history.

This seasons team is good and next season’s team will be better and have a chance to play in the second week of the NCAA tournament and a GT 4 would get us there.

Having a replacement sophomore 4 ready to play and take over for French is the best scenario.

8 hours ago, dennis_w said:

What does Diarra need to heal. I don’t recall hearing about an injury.

22 hours ago, dennis_w said:

he had a bad knee injury last year, some doubt that he has fully recovered. i likely am speculating a bit

I am speculating here too, but I think going into the season, Diarra's knee was not 100%, and that, obviously, kinda put him a ways behind everyone else rotation wise. 

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I am speculating here too, but I think going into the season, Diarra's knee was not 100%, and that, obviously, kinda put him a ways behind everyone else rotation wise. 

But he has played a few minutes, I can’t see any coach Who would put in a player in a blowout who has a bad knee or isn’t 100%

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

But he has played a few minutes, I can’t see any coach Who would put in a player in a blowout who has a bad knee or isn’t 100%

True. I don't think his knee was "bad" per se, just that the strength/conditioning/confidence wasn't there. And of he was behind in early pratices, kinda hard to make it up with other players getting into a rotation.

wgstl, dennis_w and SLU_Lax like this

Good power forwards (4's) are so tough to find that who would turn away a good wer forward?  No me.

With that said, I would prefer a freshman power forward as we will need replace French - not supplement French.   I am good with supplementing French next year with a freshman power forward along with an improved Bell and the likes of  Perkins, Hargrove, Thatch, Goodwin, Jacobs and now Strickland while we mix the same in with Yuri and the return of Gibson.  Diarra and Hankton might even be in the mix. The following year is when we may need the GT forward - when French is gone.  

I don't care about high school stats, how guys played in a weekend tournament, how tall guys are, etc.  We were told Hargrove and Perkins can play the 4 - but not really.  I know that Hargrove played multi positions including the 4 in high school and that Hargrove, against BC, even played the 5 for us for a few minutes.  But my question is who can replace French?  Whose natural position is the 4?  Who plays best with his back to the basket as opposed to a stretch 4, a Euro big, etc.   Nick Kern?  If so, that is who we need next year with out last scholarship.

And if Diarra and Hankton aren't going to contribute, then we should have 2 more scholarships available. As Spoon would ask: time to fish or cut bait.

54 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Good power forwards (4's) are so tough to find that who would turn away a good wer forward?  No me.

With that said, I would prefer a freshman power forward as we will need replace French - not supplement French.   I am good with supplementing French next year with a freshman power forward along with an improved Bell and the likes of  Perkins, Hargrove, Thatch, Goodwin, Jacobs and now Strickland while we mix the same in with Yuri and the return of Gibson.  Diarra and Hankton might even be in the mix. The following year is when we may need the GT forward - when French is gone.  

I don't care about high school stats, how guys played in a weekend tournament, how tall guys are, etc.  We were told Hargrove and Perkins can play the 4 - but not really.  I know that Hargrove played multi positions including the 4 in high school and that Hargrove, against BC, even played the 5 for us for a few minutes.  But my question is who can replace French?  Whose natural position is the 4?  Who plays best with his back to the basket as opposed to a stretch 4, a Euro big, etc.   Nick Kern?  If so, that is who we need next year with out last scholarship.

And if Diarra and Hankton aren't going to contribute, then we should have 2 more scholarships available. As Spoon would ask: time to fish or cut bait.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for a spring signee who can displace Perkins/Hargrove from the 4 next year. The best chance we have of a French replacement is in the early signing period for 2021.  We'll have the minutes available and hopefully a higher recruiting profile after a second straight successful season. If the player truly is a French replacement, then he will be ready to play as a freshman just like French was.

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not holding my breath waiting for a spring signee who can displace Perkins/Hargrove from the 4 next year. The best chance we have of a French replacement is in the early signing period for 2021.  We'll have the minutes available and hopefully a higher recruiting profile after a second straight successful season. If the player truly is a French replacement, then he will be ready to play as a freshman just like French was.

I like this take. Also, Jimmy Bell is progressing very nicely. I can understand the need for another true PF, but it can wait a year, especially if we can get some contribution from Diara. I'd really like to see us add another sniper just in case Gibby's not all the way back. Unless Jacobs, Perkins, Collins, Thatch or Hargrove improve their consistency from beyond the arc,  another sharpshooter is needed. I'm not discounting JGood from beyond the arc, but so far he's not  planning on it being part of his regular game.  

Anyone know if Strickland's long game is anything special? Kasabuke would have been a good fit for this role, but, alas, that ship has sailed.  

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

But that's just it - we don't need the new recruit to displace anyone next year. A year to develop, grow, learn, get stronger and grow into the role. We have that luxury.  And BTW, did you say that Perkins could be our 2 guard next year?

How about Nick Kern?  What kind of player is he?  Where does he project at the college level?

3 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

But that's just it - we don't need the new recruit to displace anyone next year. A year to develop, grow, learn, get stronger and grow into the role. We have that luxury.  And BTW, did you say that Perkins could be our 2 guard next year?

How about Nick Kern?  What kind of player is he?  Where does he project at the college level?

Perkins is a more natural fit at the 3 or the 2.  But we have a ton of guards and are thin up front so he has to play the 4.  Goodwin, Jimerson, Thatch, Jacobs and Strickland is pretty strong going at the 2/3 going into next year.  I believe Coach Ford will bring in a freshman big in the spring.  But in reality that guy will be spending most of his time watching Perkins/Hargrove combine for 20 points a game.

Nick Kern is a lanky, crafty wing player in the Perkins mold.  It's so clear that I'm sure it's a part of Coach Ford's pitch.  

11 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Kobe Clark just picked up an offer from Georgetown....K State is trying to get in the mix as well.

Your first sentence is a lot more surprising than the second. He’s blowing up!