Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Shades of Elliot Welmer and Floyd Mcclain .....

You could add Femi John to that list.

Going even further back, I remember Rashid Malik, who played one season after juco but then learned he had a heart condition, which ended his career.  I'm hoping Fred Thatch's condition doesn't resemble that arc.

(Sorry for making another post that doesn't pertain to recruiting.)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/1/2020 at 5:27 PM, thetorch said:

Not really.  How many players have transferred from Georgetown in the past few weeks? 3 or 4.  They also lost a commit from a 4 star player this morning.  Georgetown is making a ton of offers right now.

Georgetown has three players told to stay away from a student surrounding a theft that the police closed without charges being filed. 

21 hours ago, almaman said:

So we still in play for him after CoSI?

We won't know until he's actually playing again. He's already on the radar so I don't see why they wouldn't at least check in on him next season. Not a priority at the moment, though.

Pistol, sorry if you already addressed this, but is Dominiq Penn a Class of 2020 or 2021 recruit? 

Verbal Commits and Rivals have him as 2021. But ESPN and 247Sports have him as 2020, along with some news media like Cleveland.com (article). It was reported back in August 2019 that he'd be transferring to a prep school for his senior year. Wouldn't that make him a 2020 recruit? 

Also, just FYI, in your write up you mention that his dad is the Director of Player Development at Ohio State. It sounds from this article (https://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/20190815/boys-basketball-dominiq-penn-transferring-from-dublin-coffman) like he left that position to take one with the Memphis Grizzlies. Maybe could have some implications for where Dominiq is likely to wind up. 

9 hours ago, Compton said:

Pistol, sorry if you already addressed this, but is Dominiq Penn a Class of 2020 or 2021 recruit? 

Verbal Commits and Rivals have him as 2021. But ESPN and 247Sports have him as 2020, along with some news media like Cleveland.com (article). It was reported back in August 2019 that he'd be transferring to a prep school for his senior year. Wouldn't that make him a 2020 recruit? 

Also, just FYI, in your write up you mention that his dad is the Director of Player Development at Ohio State. It sounds from this article (https://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/20190815/boys-basketball-dominiq-penn-transferring-from-dublin-coffman) like he left that position to take one with the Memphis Grizzlies. Maybe could have some implications for where Dominiq is likely to wind up. 

He's 2021. He was originally 2020 but reclassified and transferred from Dublin Coffman outside Columbus to Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, a prep school in Tennessee. His dad is Scoonie Penn, former OSU star who recently left his job at the school for the Grizzlies job, as you said. Penn was thought to be a sure thing for OSU for a while but he's a notch down from the level of recruit they've been getting, so the extra year is more developmental than anything. Not sure if he'll still be a surefire Buckeye with his dad gone, though.

Compton likes this

Just a couple other 2020 notes:

-Graham Ike partially tore his MCL and LCL in a game on 12/5 and is likely out for the rest of his senior season.

-Jace Howard is down to Michigan, Princeton, and Brown. He's basically deciding whether to play for his dad or go get an Ivy League degree.

-Abou Ousmane received offers from Texas A&M, Ohio, and North Texas in December. His stock has risen since SLU offered.

-Antoine Bloxton is lighting it up for Bogan but his recruitment remains a total mystery to me.

-Eric Gaines, who attended Billiken Madness, is also tearing it up this season down at Lithonia. Lots of new interest and Washington State just offered. He's a small but explosive guard drawing comparisons to Rafer Alston and Ja Morant.

Not much other news on 2020 offers or interest lists. I'm sure there are plenty of other "interest" players that we just don't know about.

Compton and CBFan like this

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Just a couple other 2020 notes:

-Graham Ike partially tore his MCL and LCL in a game on 12/5 and is likely out for the rest of his senior season.

-Jace Howard is down to Michigan, Princeton, and Brown. He's basically deciding whether to play for his dad or go get an Ivy League degree.

-Abou Ousmane received offers from Texas A&M, Ohio, and North Texas in December. His stock has risen since SLU offered.

-Antoine Bloxton is lighting it up for Bogan but his recruitment remains a total mystery to me.

-Eric Gaines, who attended Billiken Madness, is also tearing it up this season down at Lithonia. Lots of new interest and Washington State just offered. He's a small but explosive guard drawing comparisons to Rafer Alston and Ja Morant.

Not much other news on 2020 offers or interest lists. I'm sure there are plenty of other "interest" players that we just don't know about.

Is it just me, or does it feel like we're not chasing anyone from this class particularly hard right now? Feels like we might be waiting until the spring for transfer season to keep our options open.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I mean, a Michigan degree is up there

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

He's 2021. He was originally 2020 but reclassified and transferred from Dublin Coffman outside Columbus to Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, a prep school in Tennessee. His dad is Scoonie Penn, former OSU star who recently left his job at the school for the Grizzlies job, as you said. Penn was thought to be a sure thing for OSU for a while but he's a notch down from the level of recruit they've been getting, so the extra year is more developmental than anything. Not sure if he'll still be a surefire Buckeye with his dad gone, though.

Time flies. I played pickup with Scoonie once in Boston in college. Can't believe his kid is a prospect.

2 hours ago, NH said:

Is it just me, or does it feel like we're not chasing anyone from this class particularly hard right now? Feels like we might be waiting until the spring for transfer season to keep our options open.

I don't think you're off base. I only know what I can find publicly so there very well might be a shortlist that the coaches are working really hard. But my read is that they're looking in all directions for the right piece, the right big man most likely, for that last scholarship that is currently the only open one on paper. HS, prep, JUCO, Canada, International - we'll start seeing some names pop up as we get into spring and the recruiting turnaround will be a relatively short time. I would be surprised if anyone on my current Offers/Interest lists gets that spot.

2 hours ago, NH said:

or maybe there are specific juniors we'd rather have than the now current available seniors.    if a grad transfer falls in our laps we would actually be in the same place.  

3 hours ago, NH said:

Pretty typical for recruiting in season.  Make your offers in the fall, check up on recruits periodically during the season, check up on recruits during the playoffs and make new offers as needed, go hard after the guys you want after the season.

almaman likes this

21 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

or maybe there are specific juniors we'd rather have than the now current available seniors.    if a grad transfer falls in our laps we would actually be in the same place.  

OR grab another JUCO to fill the gap and help deflect all the defenses swarming French.

And/or a grad transfer if another scholarship opens.

Plenty of underclassmen and the future is NOW!. 

CBFan, David King and kmbilliken like this

30 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

OR grab another JUCO to fill the gap and help deflect all the defenses swarming French.

And/or a grad transfer if another scholarship opens.

Plenty of underclassmen and the future is NOW!. 

I agree the future is now our team imo would have had a chance to win the A10 had it not lost Thatch and Jimerson so the Juco at Moberly or a grad transfer big puts our team in a position to win the A10 next season.

I still would rather have a freshman big like Donte Houston that could contribute then take over for French and until he commits we still have a chance.

A big that can contribute will be landed by Ford, our program has so much going for it that a big wanting to play and win will come.

Just now, wgstl said:

not sure where to put this but Mario McKinney is transferring out of mizzou.  Undisclosed reasons behind his team suspension, but a local kid. 

Take the Mizzou part out..... I think I’d like him to be on SLU? I don’t know. Suspension scares me. Someone will probably talk me out of it but it is intriguing. 

If he isnt good enough for mediocre mi$$ouri, why would the billikens want him.   Umsl probably would take him

SLU_Nick and HenryB like this

9 minutes ago, NH said:

He’s talented enough to play at SLU but unless we had to a really good reason to believe that the suspension wasn’t a real issue, I’d rather use the scholarship elsewhere.

this is where I am.  I watched a lot of his games his senior year and I was upset we weren't getting him. he was electric.

He would have to sit out next year, so jgood would be gone 😪 and thatch as of now would be a senior along with jacobs, and Yuri a junior.  Whats Strickland, a wing?

Exceptions to every rule -- but at some point, we need to establish a reality -- SLU will not always be there if your out of town adventure does not work out for you.  If guy are good students, good teammates and good players, usually they don't transfer...