Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Quality Is Job 1

Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

need some more deets on this one coach 

Still early in the story but there is someone who has a chance to graduate early (if he takes the right amount of hours this spring and summer) and become a Grad transfer next year.   He's considering his best course of action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hey Coach, Tulsa is giving major minutes to junior Darien Jackson, a 6'2 attacking combo guard.  He'd be gone by the time Mario is eligible.  Just a thought.  If Coach Ford is able to land a sweet shooting combo guard in the 2021 class, Mario would be in the same position here he just left.

I like Jackson.  He use to come down and play with some local AAU teams in his early years.  Tulsa would be good for Mario.  I think it depends on what happens with Fred and his health in regards to Mario coming to SLU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Still early in the story but there is someone who has a chance to graduate early (if he takes the right amount of hours this spring and summer) and become a Grad transfer next year.   He's considering his best course of action.

Hope it's Levi Stockard. He would be a nice fit in the A10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I like Jackson.  He use to come down and play with some local AAU teams in his early years.  Tulsa would be good for Mario.  I think it depends on what happens with Fred and his health in regards to Mario coming to SLU.

That’s an interesting thought. I’ll take a healthy and fully capable Fred over Mario but may not have that option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hope it's Levi Stockard. He would be a nice fit in the A10.

This would be incredible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Why the hell did you bad post me? I’m sure Ford already knows the story 

Because you didn’t reaD what you quoted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hope it's Levi Stockard. He would be a nice fit in the A10.

Would be a big time bench big to get 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

From what I have heard the suspension didn't come from a punch.  There had been other incidents before this last one and they had decided it was best to move on.  Yes,  Mario felt a little misled by what the Coaches told him before he committed but he said he was going to ride it out.  @CBFanMario is similar in style to Goodwin but at the Combo guard position.  Not a great shooter but can hit spot up 3s and has a knack for hitting big shots in big moments.  High level athlete.  Doesn't have the size to bang on the block like Goodwin but he plays all out.  And there is interest from SLU.  I share my concerns like others with the makeup of the team as is but if Rio had to sit out next yr I like the move.  Yuri + Hargrove +Rio on a fast break would be special.  But...there might also be a Grad Transfer big available next year as well 🤐

Do you know if Mario has interest in SLU? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mizzou was a bad choice for Mckinney style wise from the get go.  Out of his listed finalists, I thought VCU and Auburn made the most sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only want a grad transfer if they’re going to be a major contributor. I think we’d benefit more from an underclassmen transfer if the alternative is a grad transfer who would only play 10 minutes a night. (I’m speaking more generally, not about Stockard specifically)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Do you know if Mario has interest in SLU? 

 

31 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I'm going to say there is more than just smoke here. Who's with me?

 

 

I will say this.  I know his Dad prefers he stays close to home and that Rio has a good relationship with Yuri and Hargrove.   If he can accept his role (he came off the bench his 1st two years at Vashon)  I think he fits the type of player Ford is looking for.  He is a little feisty tho 😂.  And Roby isn't the only one telling him to come home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

 

I will say this.  I know his Dad prefers he stays close to home and that Rio has a good relationship with Yuri and Hargrove.   If he can accept his role (he came off the bench his 1st two years at Vashon)  I think he fits the type of player Ford is looking for.  He is a little feisty tho 😂.  And Roby isn't the only one telling him to come home.  

How is his dad? I don't remember reading anything about his dad being an "issue (for example I remember reading Zeke Moore's dad was cray cray). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hope it's Levi Stockard. He would be a nice fit in the A10.

Given Coach314’s connection to Vashon that would seem like the likely player. His stats are nothing to write home about (5 ppg and 3.3 rpg) but we definitely need depth on the frontcourt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no idea.  But even if it's true, I saw Kevin Lisch body slam Dustin Maguire during a practice.  Practice can get heated.

Pics or GTFO.  Would love to see Kevin Lisch fight anybody.

Honey badger.  Sister a total stone fox.  Pics or GTFO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coach314 said:

 

I will say this.  I know his Dad prefers he stays close to home and that Rio has a good relationship with Yuri and Hargrove.   If he can accept his role (he came off the bench his 1st two years at Vashon)  I think he fits the type of player Ford is looking for.  He is a little feisty tho 😂.  And Roby isn't the only one telling him to come home.  

Thanks for the insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coach314 said:

 

I will say this.  I know his Dad prefers he stays close to home and that Rio has a good relationship with Yuri and Hargrove.   If he can accept his role (he came off the bench his 1st two years at Vashon)  I think he fits the type of player Ford is looking for.  He is a little feisty tho 😂.  And Roby isn't the only one telling him to come home.  

I appreciate your insight coach thank you.

I really want a big for the last scholarship however having another home town young man from Vashon who gets along with Collins and Hargrove whose parents would be attending games like the Goodwin’s that I sit around 10 rows behind them, I say get it done coach Ford.  If Mario brings team harmony and toughness that will be a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's assume McKinney is a possibility, do we see him transferring before, during, after this semester?  Would we even have a scholarship to give? Either way, if he commits, then that would leave us (as of now) with no open schollies for 2020 and a log jam at the 2-3 spot.  Without knowing anything about the situation (or quite frankly, McKinney's ability) and with only have 1 spot open for 2020, gotta think we opt to go big. Lots of assumptions and things can/will change, but that's where I land right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anybody thought that McKinney might have been creating team chemistry problems because after the first game he sat out Mizzou scored season high 91 points against Florida, they can forget that.  They got smoked by Mississippi St. last night only scoring 45 in what Gabe Dearmond referred to as the worst performance in Martin's 3 seasons (impressive he was able to do worse than losing to Charleston Southern at home).

Going to coach's point on as long as he can accept his role coming off the bench, I wonder if part of reason he was so upset with it at Mizzou is because he felt misled on his playing time or if because Mizzou hasn't been a good offensive team all year so how could he not help.  If it is just he wants to get high minutes right away, then probably best to let him go somewhere else.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

If anybody thought that McKinney might have been creating team chemistry problems because after the first game he sat out Mizzou scored season high 91 points against Florida, they can forget that.  They got smoked by Mississippi St. last night only scoring 45 in what Gabe Dearmond referred to as the worst performance in Martin's 3 seasons (impressive he was able to do worse than losing to Charleston Southern at home).

Going to coach's point on as long as he can accept his role coming off the bench, I wonder if part of reason he was so upset with it at Mizzou is because he felt misled on his playing time or if because Mizzou hasn't been a good offensive team all year so how could he not help.  If it is just he wants to get high minutes right away, then probably best to let him go somewhere else.  

I’m always surprised when Gabe can put a coherent thought together 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Let's assume McKinney is a possibility, do we see him transferring before, during, after this semester?  Would we even have a scholarship to give? Either way, if he commits, then that would leave us (as of now) with no open schollies for 2020 and a log jam at the 2-3 spot.  Without knowing anything about the situation (or quite frankly, McKinney's ability) and with only have 1 spot open for 2020, gotta think we opt to go big. Lots of assumptions and things can/will change, but that's where I land right now. 

I would imagine it will be this week or next — if if he’s coming to SLU.  People are going to kill me but I can’t ever remember the rule, would he be eligible at semester then as a sophomore?
 

Based on the Internet chatter and local connections I’m putting it as “more likely than not” he’s got his eyes on SLU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I would imagine it will be this week or next — if if he’s coming to SLU.  People are going to kill me but I can’t ever remember the rule, would he be eligible at semester then as a sophomore?
 

Based on the Internet chatter and local connections I’m putting it as “more likely than not” he’s got his eyes on SLU. 

This makes sense, but curious to see how that will be accomplished with no open schollies. Maybe he transfers with some financial aid package/walk-on status and gets a schollie after the semester? If Ford is interested, I'm sure he has a way to make this work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...