Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I get what you're saying. But if we make it back to the tourney, in back to back years with a ton of momentum, I think we can do much better. 

Frankly, Shaun is better than any local guard we're looking at in the 2021 class except for Jordan Nesbitt.  But I think it makes more sense to bring in a freshman to be your 8th man than an upperclassman.  The former has a chance to start one day and maintains continuity.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I get what you're saying. But if we make it back to the tourney, in back to back years with a ton of momentum, I think we can do much better. 

I'm not sure you get what @Franchise_08 is saying.  He's not suggesting that SLU should go after Williams or that SLU can't or won't be able to do better.  He's saying that K-State is one of our primary rivals in recruiting local St. Louis talent at the level we are recruiting (not 5 stars).  Therefore, if a St. Louis kid goes to K-State and "fails" by transferring / not succeeding, then it is good for us because it might make it more difficult for K-State to recruit St. Louis in the future.  Flip side is that a guy like Sneed going to K-State and succeeding isn't good for us.

Bringing it forward - K-State beat us out for Kasubke and Bradford.  I don't wish ill on any players, but I won't be unhappy if things don't pan out for those guys at K-State.

GBL_Bills and BilliesBy40 like this

18 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not sure you get what @Franchise_08 is saying.  He's not suggesting that SLU should go after Williams or that SLU can't or won't be able to do better.  He's saying that K-State is one of our primary rivals in recruiting local St. Louis talent at the level we are recruiting (not 5 stars).  Therefore, if a St. Louis kid goes to K-State and "fails" by transferring / not succeeding, then it is good for us because it might make it more difficult for K-State to recruit St. Louis in the future.  Flip side is that a guy like Sneed going to K-State and succeeding isn't good for us.

Bringing it forward - K-State beat us out for Kasubke and Bradford.  I don't wish ill on any players, but I won't be unhappy if things don't pan out for those guys at K-State.

Thats how I understood it. 

Even with that said, consistently winning helps battle kstate better with STL kids than getting kids who want to transfer out.  And getting kids who are better players will help keep the winning ways going.  Sure getting these kids who leave kstate also looks good, but ultimately if you're not winning, then who cares?

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thank you for elaborating my point. Maybe the grass isn’t greener in the Little Apple. K-State is poaching St Louis and is one of our main competitors for local talent. I honestly do not know anything about Williams, not sure why he wasn’t that highly thought of coming out of high school. Maybe cause we weren’t recruiting him, but I certainly do not condone him being a Priority. We need another big even if Diarra works out.

Isaac Haney can't dunk.  Looks a little slow.  Is fire from 3 and has good body control.  Likes to clap a lot and head-butted the wall after an and 1.

I like him.  Certainly at least worth a 13th scholarship.  This is based on one 3 minute video I just saw.

1 hour ago, jimbofive said:

Isaac Haney can't dunk.  Looks a little slow.  Is fire from 3 and has good body control.  Likes to clap a lot and head-butted the wall after an and 1.

I like him.  Certainly at least worth a 13th scholarship.  This is based on one 3 minute video I just saw.

I can't decide if I want to fistbump this kid or punch him in the jejunum.

3 hours ago, jimbofive said:

At the :22 mark in this video he gives a head fake, then dribbles under the defender, I've never seen that before.

53 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

At the :22 mark in this video he gives a head fake, then dribbles under the defender, I've never seen that before.

I want this kid.  I want his dad,  Mr. Haney, cheering the team on in the stands.  I want Mr. Haney selling genuine items from his truck out in front of Chaifetz every game.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I want this kid.  I want his dad,  Mr. Haney, cheering the team on in the stands.  I want Mr. Haney selling genuine items from his truck out in front of Chaifetz every game.

So do I. You can never have enough heady, coach on the floor, student of the game, gym rat types on your team.

Kobe Clark, Vashon, first two games of City of Palms Classic Holiday Tourney in Fort Myers FL:

18 points 14 rebounds 4 assists in 51-47 loss to Scotlandville Magnet, Baton Rouge. (Reece Beekman Virginia commit 10/5)

15 points 13 rebounds 3 assists in 63-60 win over Briarcrest, TN (defending Tennessee state champs, Kennedy Chandler 28, Marcellus Brigham South Carolina commit 14.)

They play Philadelphia Roman Catholic Saturday in consolation semifinals. 

Some big names and teams in this event, and a who’s who of college coaches. Many, many top 25 national teams in the event. 

wgstl likes this

23 minutes ago, courtside said:

Kobe Clark, Vashon, first two games of City of Palms Classic Holiday Tourney in Fort Myers FL:

18 points 14 rebounds 4 assists in 51-47 loss to Scotlandville Magnet, Baton Rouge. (Reece Beekman Virginia commit 10/5)

15 points 13 rebounds 3 assists in 63-60 win over Briarcrest, TN (defending Tennessee state champs, Kennedy Chandler 28, Marcellus Brigham South Carolina commit 14.)

Some big names and teams in this event, and a who’s who of college coaches. Many, many top 25 national teams in the event. 

He's going to have a great year

I've been wondering in a few different conversations in the past few months whether Clark would break out in a big way this year. It's certainly looking like that might be the case.

We offered him the same time as Fletcher a couple years ago. Fletcher obviously blew up and Clark went under the radar. With more opportunity at Vashon this year, he's going to get some more offers.

My question is how he slots into our roster. With Strickland already signed, plus Jimerson, Jacobs, Perkins, and Thatch on the roster, I just don't see the wing as a position of need for our last spot. I guess a lot can happen between now and the spring signing period, though, and we all know transfers happen.

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I've been wondering in a few different conversations in the past few months whether Clark would break out in a big way this year. It's certainly looking like that might be the case.

We offered him the same time as Fletcher a couple years ago. Fletcher obviously blew up and Clark went under the radar. With more opportunity at Vashon this year, he's going to get some more offers.

My question is how he slots into our roster. With Strickland already signed, plus Jimerson, Jacobs, Perkins, and Thatch on the roster, I just don't see the wing as a position of need for our last spot. I guess a lot can happen between now and the spring signing period, though, and we all know transfers happen.

Yeah.  I agree.  When Strickland signed I figured they weren't interested anymore in Kobe.  Right before Strickland signed Ford brought the whole coaching staff down to Vashon.  Seeing as Nick has been seen at a few games they were probably there for him.

Bills_06 and Pistol like this

On 12/19/2019 at 7:51 PM, courtside said:

Consolation semifinals:

Vashon 54 Philadelphia Roman Catholic 46. 

Clark 11 and 7, Kern 14 and 6, Fletcher 16 and 10. 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:14 PM, JohnnyJumpUp said:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4009-1362414876-4.g

100% guarantee this kid plays “slap the floor defense.” 
He just screams hated white kid from Duke.

Sign him up!

• 2 weeks later...