Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

It was just a matter of getting exposure for him.  Last two summers he bounced around different AAU teams.  More offers to come

I wish the kid well but it seems between him blowing up, SLU’s current roster construction, and the available scholarships, it’s extremely unlikely he’ll ever be a Billiken.

love that STL keeps putting out top grade players 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I wish the kid well but it seems between him blowing up, SLU’s current roster construction, and the available scholarships, it’s extremely unlikely he’ll ever be a Billiken.

love that STL keeps putting out top grade players 

True

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Perkins is a more natural fit at the 3 or the 2.  But we have a ton of guards and are thin up front so he has to play the 4.  Goodwin, Jimerson, Thatch, Jacobs and Strickland is pretty strong going at the 2/3 going into next year.  I believe Coach Ford will bring in a freshman big in the spring.  But in reality that guy will be spending most of his time watching Perkins/Hargrove combine for 20 points a game.

Nick Kern is a lanky, crafty wing player in the Perkins mold.  It's so clear that I'm sure it's a part of Coach Ford's pitch.  

Thank you.  I defer to you, 314, Pistol and others on the recruiting in that I usually do NOT go see the kids play.

IMO, though, I would rather get another sharpshooter like Jimerson than I would another athletic wing.   And I would rather get another freshman Has than another athletic wing.

Assuming Jimerson makes a full recovery, that he regains his freshman year with a medical redshirt, and that Perkins can shoot it well in in practice (though not yet in games), then it might be best to go with Jimerson and our current players, use next year's remaining scholarship on a big and get another sharpshooter the following year to stagger the classes.   Now, if we want to clear some room on the roster and land Nick Kern AND a French replacement, then I am fine with that. 

Ain't too many shooters as good as he. Coach described him as top 5 shooters in country when he signed him so that's 50 players a decade that are that good. Being athletic wing and top 50 shooters a decade of incoming freshmen doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. In his short career he seems to be an athletic wing to me or at least knows what that means and strives to be it.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Your first sentence is a lot more surprising than the second. He’s blowing up!

Not really.  How many players have transferred from Georgetown in the past few weeks? 3 or 4.  They also lost a commit from a 4 star player this morning.  Georgetown is making a ton of offers right now.

28 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thank you.  I defer to you, 314, Pistol and others on the recruiting in that I usually do NOT go see the kids play.

IMO, though, I would rather get another sharpshooter like Jimerson than I would another athletic wing.   And I would rather get another freshman Has than another athletic wing.

Assuming Jimerson makes a full recovery, that he regains his freshman year with a medical redshirt, and that Perkins can shoot it well in in practice (though not yet in games), then it might be best to go with Jimerson and our current players, use next year's remaining scholarship on a big and get another sharpshooter the following year to stagger the classes.   Now, if we want to clear some room on the roster and land Nick Kern AND a French replacement, then I am fine with that. 

It's not an either/or proposition.  We have at least three scholarships to offer in 2021 - Goodwin, French and Perkins all graduate.  That's enough for Kern, one of the De Smet bigs and a sharpshooter, for example.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Not really.  How many players have transferred from Georgetown in the past few weeks? 3 or 4.  They also lost a commit from a 4 star player this morning.  Georgetown is making a ton of offers right now.

Georgetown is still Georgetown, and they're in the Big East. Even if it's just to keep tabs on him, it's something.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's not an either/or proposition.  We have at least three scholarships to offer in 2021 - Goodwin, French and Perkins all graduate.  That's enough for Kern, one of the De Smet bigs and a sharpshooter, for example.

My mistake.  I thought Nick Kern was Class of 2020 - I see that he is 2021. 

Just wanted to remind people that I'm still updating the Recruiting Lists every few weeks, even if there hasn't been much in the way of SLU recruiting news here.

As a general 2020 note, we have one scholarship to give on paper now and it appears destined for a big man. This comes with the caveat that a lot can happen - transfers, long-term injuries, etc.

Our biggest need is a stretch big. When French, Bell and Goodwin are the floor at the same time, the middle gets so clogged up and the spacing is bad because opponents don't respect our outside shooting. Look at what Loe and Ellis did in regards to creating space for others. A decent stretch big would open up a lot of room for French and Goodwin. 

Pistol likes this

33 minutes ago, ACE said:

Our biggest need is a stretch big. When French, Bell and Goodwin are the floor at the same time, the middle gets so clogged up and the spacing is bad because opponents don't respect our outside shooting. Look at what Loe and Ellis did in regards to creating space for others. A decent stretch big would open up a lot of room for French and Goodwin. 

100% agree. I was hoping that guy could be Hankton but it appears I was very wrong about that. If this team had a Loe or Ellis, the offense would look dramatically better

Pistol likes this

You guys are spot on. Someone asked me the other day what my wish is for the last scholarship and my answer was Rob Loe. A player with his size who could guard the 4 or 5, get some rebounds, and stretch the offense would do wonders for us.

Dallas Howell from Enterprise, AL committed to the College of Southern Idaho. Had an offer from SLU. Didn't have many other offers - Samford, Troy, Jacksonville State - but had a lot of high-level interest. Lefty wing shooter with good size (6-5) and a well-rounded skill set. Jimerson is the closest comp on our roster.

He's going the JUCO route because he's not fully recovered after blowing out his knee this past summer and wants to slowly ease back into game speed. He's practicing but not playing yet this year, his senior HS season, after missing most of the AAU season in 2019. Academics are not a concern - he's got a 30 on the ACT and will be a full qualifier whether he decides he's ready for D-I after his freshman or his sophomore season at CSI. He'll be a solid D-I player when he shows up, too.

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Dallas Howell from Enterprise, AL committed to the College of Southern Idaho. Had an offer from SLU. Didn't have many other offers - Samford, Troy, Jacksonville State - but had a lot of high-level interest. Lefty wing shooter with good size (6-5) and a well-rounded skill set. Jimerson is the closest comp on our roster.

He's going the JUCO route because he's not fully recovered after blowing out his knee this past summer and wants to slowly ease back into game speed. He's practicing but not playing yet this year, his senior HS season, after missing most of the AAU season in 2019. Academics are not a concern - he's got a 30 on the ACT and will be a full qualifier whether he decides he's ready for D-I after his freshman or his sophomore season at CSI. He'll be a solid D-I player when he shows up, too.

-this is unacceptable, actual recruiting information in a recruiting thread, who'd ever guessed??

-Thank You Pistol!!

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

So we still in play for him after CoSI?

On 1/6/2020 at 11:44 AM, Pistol said:

You guys are spot on. Someone asked me the other day what my wish is for the last scholarship and my answer was Rob Loe. A player with his size who could guard the 4 or 5, get some rebounds, and stretch the offense would do wonders for us.

Loe created so much room for Evans to operate one on one in the paint. French needs a guy like that. He gets double and triple teamed constantly. That's one reason I always saw the value in Welmer if he had stayed healthy. Pretty decent shotblocker and rebounder defensively who shot 37% from 3. Even Jalen Johnson, although a different type of player, was a "big" who could help space the floor. In theory, Hankton could provide this, but has not earned the trust of Ford.

Pistol and Zink like this

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Loe created so much room for Evans to operate one on one in the paint. French needs a guy like that. He gets double and triple teamed constantly. That's one reason I always saw the value in Welmer if he had stayed healthy. Pretty decent shotblocker and rebounder defensively who shot 37% from 3. Even Jalen Johnson, although a different type of player, was a "big" who could help space the floor. In theory, Hankton could provide this, but has not earned the trust of Ford.

Ford said this week that KC has dealt with countless injuries, that's why he has been so limited. I think KC can still serve a purpose with us. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ford said this week that KC has dealt with countless injuries, that's why he has been so limited. I think KC can still serve a purpose with us. 

Hate to be a D!ck but he's been hurt since got here unfortunately. Hard to tell what he really can contribute.