Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

11 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

We have to at least make the tournament so he can feel comfortable coming to SLU.

If we finish 5th in the A10, there will be too much pressure to go the blue blood route.  Sort of like Tatum - looking back, I was delusional to even buy in for a second that he would want to play for Crews.

Many of us were, I might add selfish & dishonest in our assessment of what was better for him.

NextYearBill likes this

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

We have to at least make the tournament so he can feel comfortable coming to SLU.

If we finish 5th in the A10, there will be too much pressure to go the blue blood route.  Sort of like Tatum - looking back, I was delusional to even buy in for a second that he would want to play for Crews.

He will almost certainly make his decision before school starts, hence no chance for us to make the tourney prior to his decision.

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I doubt that he’s going to wait until the end of next season to commit.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:01 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

i don't either, his shot looks like Polks.......

I remember how excited I was when Polk signed. I thought that was the beginning of big things for the Bills.

Wow! That excitement right there is why I'm not a talent evaluator. 

9 hours ago, dlarry said:

I remember how excited I was when Polk signed. I thought that was the beginning of big things for the Bills.

I remember going to Maryville University with my uncle to watch Polk play Meyer’s Borgia team.

10 hours ago, dlarry said:

LOL at the post and at myself I am a horrible talent evaluator I believe all Billiken recruits will be good players when they sign with one exception Gillman when Crews signed him.

I really appreciate the people on this site that can evaluate talent and post their knowledgeable opinions about recruits.

39 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

my son played against polk in aau ball and when he heard slu signed him his first reaction was why? he cant play

Polk was the Missouri Player of the year so to say he could not play is just crazy.  Now if you want to say he can not shoot then that is another matter entirely.

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Soberberg somehow got Lisch and Liddell.  That puts him light years ahead of Crews.

Crews got guys like Roby and Yarbrough, who are great college players in their own right. 

For every good player though, both coaches had guys like Jolly, Knollmeyer, Ikeakor, Gillmann, etc. 

Brad could not recruit against bigger schools and he waited too long to reach an evaluation of players which always put him well behind the pack thus reducing his chances for success.  Crews just could not evaluate talent and therefore he never bothered to get into the horse race for the good ones or just never got all in - almost like he had a fatalistic view on getting anybody good.  Both had their short comings and trying to pick one or the other is like trying to decide if you want to have your foot crushed by a car or a 2 ton rock - what is the difference you still end up with a crushed foot.  I think the Lisch and Liddell signings were just luck on Brad's part given his track record after that.

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i am just quoting my son, who did not believe he was d-1 player, i think he was correct

Well lots of people in the State disagreed with your son.  Polk scored in high school by driving and never really had to shoot much.  After he broke his ankle - I think - he was never the same player. 

dennis_w likes this

Just now, NextYearBill said:

Brad tried to recruit Scott Suggs by photo shopping an afro on his own head. I was never more embarrassed to be a Billiken fan when that was on the 5pm news

Brad's son was a friend of Suggs and he was banking on that pulling the kid in.  I did not see the picture you are referencing but I wonder if since he knew the kid as friend of his son was he just kidding.  Either way I agree if Brad did that it was at least insensitive.

5 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Brad tried to recruit Scott Suggs by photo shopping an afro on his own head. I was never more embarrassed to be a Billiken fan when that was on the 5pm news

Lol and we had talked ourselves into that 2008 class saving Soderberg

51 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Brad could not recruit against bigger schools and he waited too long to reach an evaluation of players which always put him well behind the pack thus reducing his chances for success.  Crews just could not evaluate talent and therefore he never bothered to get into the horse race for the good ones or just never got all in - almost like he had a fatalistic view on getting anybody good.  Both had their short comings and trying to pick one or the other is like trying to decide if you want to have your foot crushed by a car or a 2 ton rock - what is the difference you still end up with a crushed foot.  I think the Lisch and Liddell signings were just luck on Brad's part given his track record after that.

So...does this mean Douglas, Gray and Bonner were just luck for Grawer, too?

When one considers the state of SLU facilities and the incoming level of program success during these tenures, there’s no debate as to who holds the title of worst recruiter in SLU history.

AGB91 likes this