Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

So...does this mean Douglas, Gray and Bonner were just luck for Grawer, too?

When one considers the state of SLU facilities and the incoming level of program success during these tenures, there’s no debate as to who holds the title of worst recruiter in SLU history.

I am not sure why you brought up Grawer - he was never a part of this thread and my response was only specific to Crews and Brad as the question was asked.  By the way Grawer was not a bad recruiter- his problem was he was not supported enough by Biondi, Biondi also placed unrealistic expectations on him given the situation that existed, and he had trouble relating to  players that need special approaches.  All that being said, Grawer was a winner for SLU.

VeniceMenace likes this

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

You don't remember that?  IIRC, it was Suggs' hair photoshopped on Brad's head.

No, don't remember that. I remember hearing that Soderberg either blew off a recruiting visit to go to the Masters, or scheduled a recruiting visit for when he knew he was going to be out of town. I think that may have been Lance Stemler, the kid from Waterloo that ended up playing at Indiana.

22 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

We have to at least make the tournament so he can feel comfortable coming to SLU.

If we finish 5th in the A10, there will be too much pressure to go the blue blood route.  Sort of like Tatum - looking back, I was delusional to even buy in for a second that he would want to play for Crews.

Spot on, Nick. Just remember Flounder was a legacy at Delta house and barely got in. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank said Yuri is going to take his official visit to SLU soon. He said SLU will roll out the rep carpet and thinks Yuri will commit then.

We will see.  I think Yuri might be getting some pressure not to announce a commitment for a couple of months.  I think the people wanting him to hold off are fine with him going to SLU they just want him to not announce it, yet.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We will see.  I think Yuri might be getting some pressure not to announce a commitment for a couple of months.  I think the people wanting him to hold off are fine with him going to SLU they just want him to not announce it, yet.

Why is that? To see if he can get "better" offers? 

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I hope not. Need yuri as a full ambassador for the eagles 

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

9 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Why is that? To see if he can get "better" offers? 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I hope not. Need yuri as a full ambassador for the eagles 

AAU coaches don't like to see commitments until the season is over, or nearly over. More uncommitted players = more coaches watching them. More coaches watching = more offers for their players. More (and better) offers = higher-level commitments. Then they can sell the program based on those commitments.

More cynical observers would also point to the money that seems to find its way to these programs when they have higher-level players going to higher-level schools and when their programs are playing and winning more events.

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

AAU coaches don't like to see commitments until the season is over, or nearly over. More uncommitted players = more coaches watching them. More coaches watching = more offers for their players. More (and better) offers = higher-level commitments. Then they can sell the program based on those commitments.

More cynical observers would also point to the money that seems to find its way to these programs when they have higher-level players going to higher-level schools and when their programs are playing and winning more events.

Thanks for the explanation. I hope Yuri follows the lead of Gordon and Thatch and commits whenever he wants to.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I think that all plays a part of it for AAU coaches, but I think there is sometimes a more altruistic motive involved.  The high level coaches are going to follow the Beagles no matter what, because of the other starters around Collins.  With people thinking Collins is still in play, the MO St.'s  of the basketball world have a reason to follow the Beagles. 

Maybe a program on that level likes what they see from Josh Wallace or Keyyaun Batchman while following Collins and they decide to start recruiting them.  I think helping kid's like that plays a big part in it for a program like the Beagles.

Pistol likes this

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think that all plays a part of it for AAU coaches, but I think there is sometimes a more altruistic motive involved.  The high level coaches are going to follow the Bagles no matter what, because of the other starters around Collins.  With people thinking Collins is still in play, the MO St.'s  of the basketball world have a reason to follow the Beagles. 

Maybe a program on that level likes what they see from Josh Wallace or Keyyaun Batchman while following Collins and they decide to start recruiting them.  I think helping kid's like that plays a big part in it for a program like the Beagles.

Absolutely.

And I think this is more of it than the indirect benefits of having a more high-profile AAU program. I do think, regardless of how they operate, that the coaches want what's best for the players. This doesn't always mean they're not looking out for themselves, but they know guys like Wallace and Batchman are going to benefit from the amount of coaches going to see other guys.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if only yuri would insist of a joint commit with liddell........i guy can dream cant he?

He can insist all he wants, I fear EJ is gonna end up at a UNC or KU before it’s all said and done. 

I would love to be wrong. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

He can insist all he wants, I fear EJ is gonna end up at a UNC or KU before it’s all said and done. 

I would love to be wrong. 

I want him to end up at SLU but if not here, then anywhere but Mizzou.  If he ends up at Illinois then we have a shot at having him transfer here after his first year with how things are trending there.