Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-basketball-recruiting/2015/3/28/8304725/steve-lavin-recruiting-scrambles-let-go

I have no idea why you are all enamored with Lavin. His recruiting style at St. Johns seems perilously close to what Crews has been doing.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-basketball-recruiting/2015/3/28/8304725/steve-lavin-recruiting-scrambles-let-go

I have no idea why you are all enamored with Lavin. His recruiting style at St. Johns seems perilously close to what Crews has been doing.

I agree. The potential crop of candidates, that being head coaches at lower level schools, high major assistants, and coaches without college jobs at the moment, is not very "splashy". Lavin is the most well known name of the bunch, so I guess that's why people want him.

The thing with Lavin is that if any other school hired him, I'd say "_________ hired Steve Lavin. Big deal." Simply put, I wouldn't be impressed. I wasn't when St. John's hired him either. I've just never seen Lavin as a great coach. If SLU decides they want to throw some money around for a coach, I'd rather they use it for someone other than Steve Lavin.

I agree. The potential crop of candidates, that being head coaches at lower level schools, high major assistants, and coaches without college jobs at the moment, is not very "splashy". Lavin is the most well known name of the bunch, so I guess that's why people want him.

The thing with Lavin is that if any other school hired him, I'd say "_________ hired Steve Lavin. Big deal." Simply put, I wouldn't be impressed. I wasn't when St. John's hired him either. I've just never seen Lavin as a great coach. If SLU decides they want to throw some money around for a coach, I'd rather they use it for someone other than Steve Lavin.

There isn't a real slam dunk right now. Maybe after the tournament some low major cinderella will emerge with a hot name coach, see UNF a few years ago. That's why Diener is really making sense. Guy is from SLU, coaching family, won as HC, and did work at a couple big programs. Yeah he was with Dave Leaito but let's not hold that against him. Plus we can probably afford him. I think he'll work hard to win at SLU. He's well spoken. Think about it and ask why not?

Diener Express Toot toot

There isn't a real slam dunk right now. Maybe after the tournament some low major cinderella will emerge with a hot name coach, see UNF a few years ago. That's why Diener is really making sense. Guy is from SLU, coaching family, won as HC, and did work at a couple big programs. Yeah he was with Dave Leaito but let's not hold that against him. Plus we can probably afford him. I think he'll work hard to win at SLU. He's well spoken. Think about it and ask why not?

Diener Express Toot toot

I think coaching at the D3 level and coaching at the D1 level are two different animals. That's the why not. I am not saying he can't, but that is the main risk.

Noticed this on ESPN today. Maybe we can be competitive next year once we finally get rid of Crews, Yarbrough, Roby, Reynolds, Jolly

Chris Beard, Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans
I've got to give some love to the little guys. Beard took over last March and signed 10 new players. Ten! Beard's team is 24-3 overall and has road wins against San Diego State and Tulsa on its résumé.

Diener Express Toot toot

If you really want to think long-term, ideally we would combine Diener and Lavin DNA and genetically engineer a supercoach. If Rachel Diener were willing, this could be achieved naturally. If not, I'm sure SLU's research labs could find a way to make it happen.

If you really want to think long-term, ideally we would combine Diener and Lavin DNA and genetically engineer a supercoach. If Rachel Diener were willing, this could be achieved naturally. If not, I'm sure SLU's research labs could find a way to make it happen.

I like the way you think Box. This could be like when Cobra's Dr. Mindbender genetically engineered Serpentor to be a supreme mastermind leader replacing the largely ineffective Cobra Commander.

I like the way you think Box. This could be like when Cobra's Dr. Mindbender genetically engineered Serpentor to be a supreme mastermind leader replacing the largely ineffective Cobra Commander.

Are you saying that Jim Crews is actually a cartoon villain?

Tommy Lloyd - Gonzaga - Tommy is the guy who recruits Gonzaga's international players. Like a rich man's Chris Harriman. Heir to the Zags throne if Few ever decides to leave.

What about the actual Chris Harriman?

Like it but does he want to uproot his family with his sons medical issues

Agreed.

I like Harriman a lot, but his son has Leukemia so not sure if he'd be as focused as somebody without that adversity. He's a strong recruiter, but I'm not 100% sold that there aren't better X's and O's guys out there. He's been an assistant coach for more than 10 years. I think some guys are ultimately better assistants than head coaches and I think he falls into that category. Heck of a guy as well though.

I believe we will have a new HC next year and I will be shocked if that coach (whoever it is) doesn't have previous head coaching experience and tournament experience. The next hire is critical for SLU but also for Chris May whether his future is at SLU or elsewhere. One man's opinion.

I have said it before, but I think we should give Rick Stansbury a serious look. In 14 seasons at Mississippi State he had 10 seasons where he won 20+ games. Now he is an assistant at Texas A&M and they are ranked 21st in the country. I like seeing guys have success at schools where football is king. I think coaches that have success at those schools could thrive even more at a school where basketball is the top of the food chain. He's from Kentucky and coached in Mississippi and Texas, so it's not like he's from one of the coasts and would completely have to restart his recruiting ties in this area.

I believe we will have a new HC next year and I will be shocked if that coach (whoever it is) doesn't have previous head coaching experience and tournament experience. The next hire is critical for SLU but also for Chris May whether his future is at SLU or elsewhere. One man's opinion.

It's easy to say that, but give us the name of a guy who has previous head coaching and tournament experience that you would want that will be available next year. Add that he would want to come here as opposed to somewhere else and that we could afford him.