Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Cal (18-8, 8-5) beat UW (15-11, 7-7) last night in Seattle. Could Lorenzo Romar's seat be getting a bit hotter?

As the late Joe Strauss would say, Developing? ... (Question mark added here.)

Of all the names bandied about, LoRo (Zo) would be my #1 choice for SLU, even ahead of his former fellow assistant at UCLA, Steve Lavin.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal (18-8, 8-5) beat UW (15-11, 7-7) last night in Seattle. Could Lorenzo Romar's seat be getting a bit hotter?

As the late Joe Strauss would say, Developing? ... (Question mark added here.)

Of all the names bandied about, LoRo (Zo) would be my #1 choice for SLU, even ahead of his former fellow assistant at UCLA, Steve Lavin.

No, that boat has already sailed once.

No, that boat has already sailed once.

I'm more than ready for Lorenzo to cruise down the Left Coast, through the Panama Canal, and back up the Mississippi, either that or take the shorter Lewis & Clark route down the Coast to the Columbia and Snake Rivers, with some portage over the Montana Rockies and then down the Missouri River ...

SLU could not do any better than Lorenzo Romar IMHO, that is assuming he becomes available. He is an excellent recruiter, a serviceable bench coach, good with the media, with good experience in all 3 areas, and a good guy.

I'm more than ready for Lorenzo to cruise down the Left Coast, through the Panama Canal, and back up the Mississippi, either that or take the shorter Lewis & Clark route down the Coast to the Columbia and Snake Rivers, with some portage over the Montana Rockies and then down the Missouri River ...

SLU could not do any better than Lorenzo Romar IMHO, that is assuming he becomes available. He is an excellent recruiter, a serviceable bench coach, good with the media, with good experience in all 3 areas, and a good guy.

-someone posted on here that UW has a great recruiting class signed for the fall so the expectation is Romar is fine for now

-BAB, I too would welcome his return to our sideline

-someone posted on here that UW has a great recruiting class signed for the fall so the expectation is Romar is fine for now

Thank God if that is true...we don't need a retread!

Here is an interesting read on hiring a new coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/alabama-s-surprise-hire-of-avery-johnson-is-paying-off--other-sec-hires--not-so-much-234157328-ncaab.html

I do think it is a bit premature to anoint Johnson as the hire of the decade and degrade coaches like Howland. How many times have we seen a new coach have a fantastic 1st or 2nd season then flame out? Or have a terrible 1st or 2nd season, then start a dynasty.

While not many are campaigning for Groce, this article was interesting regarding his position at Illinois. Also talks a bit about his record at Ohio, which I didn't realize is not as impressive as I originally thought. I wouldn't be a huge fan of him coming here, but an interesting read nonetheless.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/19/gruens-big-ten-glance-john-groce-failing-to-live-up-to-own-promises-at-illinois/

Outside of their best player (who is a senior guard), essentially all of their production comes from first year players (freshmen and a JUCO transfer). Losing Andrews after the season is a big loss, but he is their only senior and they add a 5 star and top 10 recruit in guard Markelle Fultz. With that freshmen class and Fultz, the future looks bright on paper. Plus Romar has a number of years remaining on his contract.

Minnesota, UNLV, Rutgers, and Memphis jump to mind almost immediately with openings. Illinois as well. I wouldn't say it is for sure, but Wisconsin could choose to pursue Tony Bennett. Factor in an unexpected retirement or two and there could be some higher openings. Though if SLU is open, it would appear to be more attractive than other seasons. It doesn't look like there will be as many Power 5/6 openings this offseason, at least not compared to last year when Florida, Texas, Arizona State, Alabama, Miss State, and a couple others. That being said, I could be completely off here. But looking at the 5 that look pretty solid to be open, SLU would not be that different from them. Except Illinois which is a school that should be top 20 every season, but has been managed poorly since that final 4.

Minnesota, UNLV, Rutgers, and Memphis jump to mind almost immediately with openings. Illinois as well. I wouldn't say it is for sure, but Wisconsin could choose to pursue Tony Bennett. Factor in an unexpected retirement or two and there could be some higher openings. Though if SLU is open, it would appear to be more attractive than other seasons. It doesn't look like there will be as many Power 5/6 openings this offseason, at least not compared to last year when Florida, Texas, Arizona State, Alabama, Miss State, and a couple others. That being said, I could be completely off here. But looking at the 5 that look pretty solid to be open, SLU would not be that different from them. Except Illinois which is a school that should be top 20 every season, but has been managed poorly since that final 4.

Minnesota may not open up yet. It's only little Ricky's 3rd year and the AD situation is unsettled. The Bennett to Wisconsin ship sailed years ago.

Of the Power 5 not mentioned, Clemson may come open, Oklahoma State is possible since Ford has been on the hot seat for years, any others would be rather unexpected. Good time for SLU to be actively hiring.

Minnesota may not open up yet. It's only little Ricky's 3rd year and the AD situation is unsettled. The Bennett to Wisconsin ship sailed years ago.

Of the Power 5 not mentioned, Clemson may come open, Oklahoma State is possible since Ford has been on the hot seat for years, any others would be rather unexpected. Good time for SLU to be actively hiring.

Agree to disagree on the Minnesota and Wisconsin points. At this point I think Gard keeps his job, but don't put it past Alvarez to think he has a shot at Bennett. As for Pitino, Minnesota has 1 win in the big 10 this year. I know there are circumstances that may lead to him retaining his job, but they have underachieved under his watch in a major conference.

If Crews is retained, these guys may be the same next year losing Yacoubo. Best hope is by the time they are seniors they are a .500 team. Maybe a few games over and then we start rebuilding again. Even if we win out the season and a game in the tournament he still has to be fired. The only way he saves his job is winning the tournament. Then we have the novelty of being a sub .500 tournament team. If he did that, he should quit and finish on a high note.

Agree to disagree on the Minnesota and Wisconsin points. At this point I think Gard keeps his job, but don't put it past Alvarez to think he has a shot at Bennett. As for Pitino, Minnesota has 1 win in the big 10 this year. I know there are circumstances that may lead to him retaining his job, but they have underachieved under his watch in a major conference.

Alverez may reach out to Bennett but that will be it. They won't pay what Tony will want. Alverez won't even pay football coaches. Plus, there's bad blood between the Bennetts and Barry and Bo Ryan. I hope Gard gets the job, he's earned it.

If the Minnesota administration weren't in such disarray (beyond athletics) I'd think little Ricky would be gone but it's a complete dumpster fire at The U right now. Who knows, maybe daddy comes to his rescue....

SLU will be the top non Power 5 job opening save Georgetown and maybe Memphis opening up.

I, too, hope Gard keeps his job. The work he has done with this group is pretty remarkable considering the talent they lost after last year's run. As for Georgetown, that could be a very interesting opening based solely on the history of the program. Would Memphis be a better spot necessarily? I'm not so sure. Pastner has been able to recruit there but it feels like some of the Coach Cal luster, or perhaps slime, has worn off. Similar to when he left UMASS, I'm just not sure Memphis is as good of an environment as it appeared in the days directly following coach Cal. Not that it isn't an attractive job, I just don't know the relative appeal of Memphis to a candidate against the appeal of SLU.

I, too, hope Gard keeps his job. The work he has done with this group is pretty remarkable considering the talent they lost after last year's run. As for Georgetown, that could be a very interesting opening based solely on the history of the program. Would Memphis be a better spot necessarily? I'm not so sure. Pastner has been able to recruit there but it feels like some of the Coach Cal luster, or perhaps slime, has worn off. Similar to when he left UMASS, I'm just not sure Memphis is as good of an environment as it appeared in the days directly following coach Cal. Not that it isn't an attractive job, I just don't know the relative appeal of Memphis to a candidate against the appeal of SLU.

I give Memphis an advantage since the academic standards to get in and remain conduct of having a pulse.

I have mentioned Majerle several times. He has a top 100 team and Grandy Glaze is one of his two best players.

Not surprised GG is doing well. I think he got a bad rap by some on the board. Looks like he is healthy and ending his career on a strong note.