Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And where is the $1.5 million coming from?

This school and its benefactors have the money and supposedly the will to spend it. If we're willing to give Crews $800K, why not spend $1.5 on someone like Drew?

The school has a real opportunity here to make a good, long-lasting hire, and greatly expand this program and its fan base with the loss of the Rams and the continued demise of Mizzou. It may require some serious $ though.

This school and its benefactors have the money and supposedly the will to spend it. If we're willing to give Crews $800K, why not spend $1.5 on someone like Drew?

The school has a real opportunity here to make a good, long-lasting hire, and greatly expand this program and its fan base with the loss of the Rams and the continued demise of Mizzou. It may require some serious $ though.

If it comes to that, I hope you're right about the money. I think some of the University's main supporters aren't quite as committed as some may think.

If it comes to that, I hope you're right about the money. I think some of the University's main supporters aren't quite as committed as some may think.

Sometimes it only takes one.....

Not hiring a coach that can stop the bleeding of season ticket sales is going to be more costly to the program long term than what Drew will cost them. The coach is the program in college basketball and Bryce Drew would be worth every penny.

I think Bill Coen would be a good hire but obviously he is an east coast guy. He was an assistant for some pretty good years at A10 Rhodey and BC (this was BC's glory years and left after sweet 16). He got Northeastern to the NCAA out of the very good Colonial (and looked well coached losing to Notre Dame) last year. This has not been a great year but there was some interest by bigger programs last year including some A-10 jobs.

I think John Calipari should be our top target. Still relatively young. Excellent recruiter. Spotless record. Questionable Xs and Os guy though...

But seriously, George Karl, assuming he gets fired by the Kings (?), would be an interesting proposition. He obviously wouldn't take this gig for the money...he would take it as an end of career challenge. If he took it seriously, he could be a fascinating option. Let me be clear, I'm not advocating for George Karl, but he may be worth a call.

I'm all about Double Ds

Drew Diener

or here's a new twist for ya'll

Darrin Horn

Think Shaka Smart style Offense and D. Former WKU HC, USC(e) HC, Marquette Asst and Current UT Asst. Good reputation for high academics. Fizzled at USC(e) but UT is doing really well this year in the toughest conference with key injuries. Archie Miller is on his coaching tree.

I'd like to see a change to an exciting style of play at SLU the grind it out "trip to the dentist" is getting to me

Probably can be had in our price range $600K just a guess

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/4/6/8356045/darrin-horn-texas-longhorns-shaka-smart-coaching-staff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrin_Horn

Sorry for the repeat of information from the other thread just wanted it on the record.

I would be more interested in Cason from Shaka's staff than Horn. Not super high on either. If we are going to hire an assistant coach at a school in Texas, I would start with Stansbury at the top of my list and probably have Jankovich second on the list.

Obviously, Kelsey makes too much sense. Young, winner, X roots, knows the A10, knows the midwest recruiting scene, could probably be had at a reasonable salary, Jebbie educated, will help market the program as he's done at Winthrop. Yeah, he just makes too much sense. George Karl wouldn't stay here for more than two years.

I think his salary is just under $300,000, but total compensation is probably closer to $500,000. Plus, he's signed through 2023.

The problem is he is just too tied to VALPO. Bryce Drew to SLU is a pipe dream.

I would be more interested in Cason from Shaka's staff than Horn. Not super high on either. If we are going to hire an assistant coach at a school in Texas, I would start with Stansbury at the top of my list and probably have Jankovich second on the list.

Jankovich is untouchable right now with the NCAA stuff.

I hate all things a&m so I don't want Stansbury. Plus what is his coaching style? Miss St. come on, he has no experience in the mid-west. Not sure if that really matters. He's older by about 14 years than Horn. Honestly, I wouldn't hate that hire dude had some real success.

Cason would be acceptable to me but he has no HC experience.

I'm thinking this way because Horn had success at a mid-major school, has ties to the mid-west, and I'd really like to see uptempo offense. I think it'll help in recruiting.

I hate all things a&m so I don't want Stansbury. Plus what is his coaching style? Miss St. come on, he has no experience in the mid-west. Not sure if that really matters. He's older by about 14 years than Horn. Honestly, I wouldn't hate that hire dude had some real success.

I'm thinking this way because Horn had success at a mid-major school, has ties to the mid-west, and I'd really like to see uptempo offense. I think it'll help in recruiting.

Horn sounds like a poor man's Diener.

Obviously, Kelsey makes too much sense. Young, winner, X roots, knows the A10, knows the midwest recruiting scene, could probably be had at a reasonable salary, Jebbie educated, will help market the program as he's done at Winthrop. Yeah, he just makes too much sense. George Karl wouldn't stay here for more than two years.

I don't think Kelsey is a terrible option. I like the fact that he is a Skip Prosser protege. The big thing against him is up to this point he has not coached a team into the NCAA or even the NIT. They probably wont make NIT this season because they don't qualify for an automatic bid because of the tie breaker. Winning the Big South tournament and getting that NCAA bid would really help Kelsey's case.

-at the risk of redundancy, I would really evaluate the flavor of the month coaches that lead non power 5 teams to the sweet 16 and get gushed about by the media and those that have success with only one super recruiting class or player, to me those folks need a thorough vetting to ensure long term results can be had

-they might have success at their next stops, might not

-at the risk of redundancy, I would really evaluate the flavor of the month coaches that lead non power 5 teams to the sweet 16 and get gushed about by the media and those that have success with only one super recruiting class or player, to me those folks need a thorough vetting to ensure long term results can be had

-they might have success at their next stops, might not

You are aware nobody on this board is making decisions on a coach right?

I do know Steve Pikiell (Stony Brook )has a sister who went to SLU. Pikiell has been SO close to getting Stony Brook into the NCAA`s , maybe this will be the year.

I've got one for you... Matt Driscoll at North Florida. He just wrapped up his second consecutive Atlantic Sun title at a school that could barely compete at the Division II level 15 years ago. His is the most enthusiastic coach I've seen since Bruce Pearl. He has completely turned the entire athletic program around with his excitement and personality. His team has led NCAA Division I in 3 point shooting all year with only two talented players on his roster. If you are looking for unbridled positive enthusiasm, he is your guy. He is the anti-Crews.

I had a chance to meet Driscoll a few years ago and was ready to run through a wall for the man after 5 minutes. He is ridiculously high energy and enthusiastic. Wouldn't be an expensive hire either.

Horn's problems at South Carolina were 1) he had no ties to the area. An example of a coach taking the first power 5 job offered while the iron was hot, and 2) he didn't cheat.