Coaching Candidates

JMM28

I like the way you think Box. This could be like when Cobra's Dr. Mindbender genetically engineered Serpentor to be a supreme mastermind leader replacing the largely ineffective Cobra Commander.

I like the thought, but frankly theres not a Mindbender to be found in the SLU AD. There is not even a guy who is man enough to rock such a fantastic moustache. Don't even get me started on the lack of monocles worn by SLU administration.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed this on ESPN today. Maybe we can be competitive next year once we finally get rid of Crews, Yarbrough, Roby, Reynolds, Jolly

Chris Beard, Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans
I've got to give some love to the little guys. Beard took over last March and signed 10 new players. Ten! Beard's team is 24-3 overall and has road wins against San Diego State and Tulsa on its résumé.

Why should we get rid of Reynolds?

It's easy to say that, but give us the name of a guy who has previous head coaching and tournament experience that you would want that will be available next year. Add that he would want to come here as opposed to somewhere else and that we could afford him.

You don't know if they will come until you ask. Here are 3 names off the top of my head (no research) that in different ways fit the profile of head coach and tournament experience. I would think that the $850,000 we are paying the current HC would be an increase.

Anthony Grant - OKC assistant

Scott Cross - UT Arlington

Jeff Jones - ODU

Forget about the current dumpster fire. This is a very good job and there is someone out there that wants it and can be successful here. It is the AD's job to find that person.

We should give Lisa Stone the job.

Imagine the free publicity! ESPN 30 for 30, documentaries, etc. "what if I told you, of a coach who traded in her brassiere for a jock strap. Who went from leading a team of women to managing a group of scrubs who would have lost to them."

But the Athletic department would find some way to mess it up.

Imagine the free publicity! ESPN 30 for 30, documentaries, etc. "what if I told you, of a coach who traded in her brassiere for a jock strap. Who went from leading a team of women to managing a group of scrubs who would have lost to them."

But the Athletic department would find some way to mess it up.

Probably the most sexist thing I've read today

I have said it before, but I think we should give Rick Stansbury a serious look. In 14 seasons at Mississippi State he had 10 seasons where he won 20+ games. Now he is an assistant at Texas A&M and they are ranked 21st in the country. I like seeing guys have success at schools where football is king. I think coaches that have success at those schools could thrive even more at a school where basketball is the top of the food chain. He's from Kentucky and coached in Mississippi and Texas, so it's not like he's from one of the coasts and would completely have to restart his recruiting ties in this area.

I was reading up on him and was impressed. I have a friend that went to Mississippi State and he has stated many times what a god guy Rick. I did read this though: Stansbury passed Williams as the all-time most successful basketball coach at Mississippi State, with 192 wins, but was never able to match Williams's run in the NCAA tourney as he failed to get past the 2nd Round despite recruiting a huge talent pool. Stansbury retired with 293 wins, ranking 9th in the history of the SEC.

https://twitter.com/BillikensStats/status/702961312695918592?s=09

Regardless of who is coaching, this has to change.

That stat isn't even close to correct. Hughes took over 30% of all shots and not just shots when he was on the floor his only season. I haven't checked on others, but I am sure their are others higher than even Hughes only season.

Like it but does he want to uproot his family with his sons medical issues

St. Louis was a good fit for them, medically, from what I remember reading at the time. His family moved back to Nebraska (where he was an assistant last year) while he's still coaching in New Mexico. So it'd be the opposite of uprooting them, bringing them to a city where he's actually had some care before, and which has two excellent children's hospitals.

That stat isn't even close to correct. Hughes took over 30% of all shots and not just shots when he was on the floor his only season. I haven't checked on others, but I am sure their are others higher than even Hughes only season.

It wasn't as much about the claim for him being the most of all time as the percentage. That is way to high unless you are converting at an extremely efficient clip. I like aspects of Milik's game quite a bit, but efficiency and shot selection are not acceptable at this point in time.

It wasn't as much about the claim for him being the most of all time as the percentage. That is way to high unless you are converting at an extremely efficient clip. I like aspects of Milik's game quite a bit, but efficiency and shot selection are not acceptable at this point in time.

I agree with you on that, I was responding to the tweet's claim about it being the highest of all time.

I was reading up on him and was impressed. I have a friend that went to Mississippi State and he has stated many times what a god guy Rick. I did read this though: Stansbury passed Williams as the all-time most successful basketball coach at Mississippi State, with 192 wins, but was never able to match Williams's run in the NCAA tourney as he failed to get past the 2nd Round despite recruiting a huge talent pool. Stansbury retired with 293 wins, ranking 9th in the history of the SEC.

[/quote

I'm guessing he was fired from Miss St. BTW I get nothing when clicking the tweet which sounds vulgar. can someone paraphrase or cut n paste?

I have said it before, but I think we should give Rick Stansbury a serious look. In 14 seasons at Mississippi State he had 10 seasons where he won 20+ games. Now he is an assistant at Texas A&M and they are ranked 21st in the country. I like seeing guys have success at schools where football is king. I think coaches that have success at those schools could thrive even more at a school where basketball is the top of the food chain. He's from Kentucky and coached in Mississippi and Texas, so it's not like he's from one of the coasts and would completely have to restart his recruiting ties in this area.

Renardo Sidney. All you need to know about Stansbury. Sold his soul, lost complete control of his team.

Looking south though, I give you Jared Haase of UAB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerod_Haase

If you really want to think long-term, ideally we would combine Diener and Lavin DNA and genetically engineer a supercoach. If Rachel Diener were willing, this could be achieved naturally. If not, I'm sure SLU's research labs could find a way to make it happen.

guessing catholic school not gonna get involved with god playing of that nature even with my favorite pope at the helm.

Pat Kelsey of Winthrop should already have been called. Mid West guy w/ an XU background. He's fired up the students at Winthrop through certain promotions. This really should be a no brainer. My guess is Winthrop probably is paying somewhere around $400k. SLU would be attractive for many reasons to a guy like this. More $$, back to a Jebbie program, better conference, major facilities. He's got 4-5 guys from the Midwest playing for Winthrop, who's 20-8 this year. 3 of those losses to BCS schools, but they were close and all on the road.

Call him before the rush is on for this guy.

Illinois just lost at home to Indiana by 27. Groce will be on the market this offseason...

They were even up 1 at halftime. I watched the second half. Illinois had no answer.

I'm not sure what the story is there behind the scenes, but is Groce really the guy we want?