Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A:) May is no idiot.

B:) His only major hire that wasn't a foregone conclusion has been a very good one in Lisa Stone.

Yeah I don't agree with everything the AD does but he's not an idiot.

He called me personally once when SLU was reportedly recruiting the player indicted for Bank Robbery. I made a few calls and guess it got back to him he called and calmed me down. He was real polite about it.

Yeah I don't agree with everything the AD does but he's not an idiot.

He called me personally once when SLU was reportedly recruiting the player indicted for Bank Robbery. I made a few calls and guess it got back to him he called and calmed me down. He was real polite about it.

That really wasn't the main message of my post. Just my two cents.

I'm not one to give Chris may any credit; I think he's an idiot. But I don't think he's dumb enough to drag out this search if he had their guy, be it Dooley, Ford, Rice, Ingelsby, or Count Chocula.

My guess is that Bryce Drew hasn't even thought about the open market because that's the type of coach he is. He owes it to his team and fans to stay focused on winning the NIT.

I also think SLU wants to take an honest run at him but have zero idea if he's even interested.

And because none of the coaches we've interviewed are linked to better open positions. Us, them, and SLU are all in the same position: waiting for valpo to lose.

Who knows what will happen. But my guess is that Ford is our #2 since he has interviewed twice.

-Count Chocula has better inbounds plays than we are used to and a heckuva press, although that is mainly just on the colon

not all the time. Martin doesn't even have a contract after 2 years at Cal. A school like Okie State has no financial limitations to deal with, schools that do often get hung up on buyouts, assistant salaries, etc. It depends on the agent too.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2016/3/23/11295220/golden-state-warriors-coach-steve-kerr-california-golden-bears-cuonzo-martin

Free Cuonzo? Cuonzo may well already be free ...

I'm not one to give Chris may any credit; I think he's an idiot. But I don't think he's dumb enough to drag out this search if he had their guy, be it Dooley, Ford, Rice, Ingelsby, or Count Chocula.

My guess is that Bryce Drew hasn't even thought about the open market because that's the type of coach he is. He owes it to his team and fans to stay focused on winning the NIT.

I also think SLU wants to take an honest run at him but have zero idea if he's even interested.

And because none of the coaches we've interviewed are linked to better open positions. Us, them, and SLU are all in the same position: waiting for valpo to lose.

Who knows what will happen. But my guess is that Ford is our #2 since he has interviewed twice.

I would think they have gotten some indication of interest to wait this long... at least I hope so.

That is interesting on Martin. Is he on a year-to-year deal at Cal. I am sure UT was willing to extend him with a raise before he left them for the Cal job. Seems like in these days HC's are looking for the security of long term contracts with buyouts.

I would agree on Rice staying longer because he is 52 and Drew is younger. I like Rice too because of he was an Asst. with the Zags and he has done a decent job at Boise State who has not had a lot of success before him. I still prefer Drew but think Rice is an acceptable Plan B.

If Drew comes to SLU there is only really one job I see him leaving for and that would be ND. Him coming to SLU would mean that all the stories about cultural fit being most important to him are true. That means the only job that could really lure him away would be ND. I don't see Brey leaving ND anytime soon .Maybe a Georgetown, but I don't see Drew as a beltway type of guy.

I would think they have gotten some indication of interest to wait this long... at least I hope so.

0% chance we would be waiting out Drew like this if we hadn't been in talks with his camp for awhile now. I think he's given indications that he's interested, and at this point it will be painted as a "last-minute change of heart" (sound familiar?) if he doesn't come here. Or if he now sees somewhere like Vanderbilt as a better fit, that wouldn't be unreasonable