Jump to content

Former Billikens Updates


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

The fact that the shunned players of the Jett era, McBroom and Grandy end up being the most successful is beyond annoying 

As @almaman alluded to, these guys may be the most "famous" (or infamous) of the Jett era players and may make the most money (McBroom anyways, I'm not sure how much Grady pulls in showing off his hole).  However, I do not consider being a YouTube star who exploits his child for clicks nor a guy showing off his hole on OnlyFans to be "successful".  Those are certainly careers you can choose today and perhaps those guys are doing the best they can.  Good for them I guess.

Mitchell, Ellis, Evans, McCall, Loe, etc. all have successful overseas basketball careers.  Mike Crawford has his law degree and a prestigious job as a lawyer at big firm.  Jake Barnett has a wonderful family with 3(?) kids.  Any of those guys are more successful in my book.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

As @almaman alluded to, these guys may be the most "famous" (or infamous) of the Jett era players and may make the most money (McBroom anyways, I'm not sure how much Grady pulls in showing off his hole).  However, I do not consider being a YouTube star who exploits his child for clicks nor a guy showing off his hole on OnlyFans to be "successful".  Those are certainly careers you can choose today and perhaps those guys are doing the best they can.  Good for them I guess.

Mitchell, Ellis, Evans, McCall, Loe, etc. all have successful overseas basketball careers.  Mike Crawford has his law degree and a prestigious job as a lawyer at big firm.  Jake Barnett has a wonderful family with 3(?) kids.  Any of those guys are more successful in my book.

Couldn't agree more.  I hate that success is assumed to be how much coin you have.  I wouldn't say I'm 'jealous' of McBroom, but sure it'd be nice to have his money.  He might be 'famous', but I'm proud of the successes of your above-mentioned alums of the program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, philliken said:

I'm not sure how much Grandy pulls in showing off his hole

I would love to be a fly on the wall next time he applies for a car loan or home mortgage.

"So it appears you haven't collected a basketball related paycheck since the pandemic started, do you have any other sources of income?"

Grandy: Yeah I've diversified into softcore gay porn. I'll have my accountant fax over my Onlyfans income summary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Okay then you snobs, name me a better creator of super duper hole spreader content than Grandy Glaze.  I'll hang up and listen.  Thanks.

Can Old Guy explain to me what a super duper hole spreader is?  Also is pink and tight good?  I mean medically speaking. 

Does Leon have access he can share?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Seeing posts like these almost makes me feel sympathy for Crews and Platt and what they had to deal with.  They didn't recruit Glaze or McBroom.

Almost is the key word in your post.

I was thinking something similar about how these guys likely would not have lasted as long as they did at SLU under Majerus.  We had numerous one and done (not the NBA kind) knuckleheads under Majerus (Thompson, Cotto, Justin Jordan, Jon Smith).  The internet buffoons both stuck around 3 season counting McBroom's transfer year.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's the dirty little secret billiken fandom chooses to not talk about.  rickma almost had us on probation for the roster turnover.   he was no doubt the master of creaming a roster to find his players that would play his way.  no doubt he was a huge success, but a lot of those players that were pushed out the door didnt deserve to be treated as such and their dream of being a billiken were crashed.   

but i agree that i dont give crewsplatt a pass.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

it's the dirty little secret billiken fandom chooses to not talk about.  rickma almost had us on probation for the roster turnover.   he was no doubt the master of creaming a roster to find his players that would play his way.  no doubt he was a huge success, but a lot of those players that were pushed out the door didnt deserve to be treated as such and their dream of being a billiken were crashed.   

but i agree that i dont give crewsplatt a pass.      

Jett and Loe were out there in Spring 2010 and we didn't have room. Room was made. Scholarships are 1 year renewable. It's not pleasant but it's how the sausage is made. 

I guess compared to a guy doing onlyfans and showcasing his hole, it's not that dirty of a secret.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Jett and Loe were out there in Spring 2010 and we didn't have room. Room was made. Scholarships are 1 year renewable. It's not pleasant but it's how the sausage is made. 

I guess compared to a guy doing onlyfans and showcasing his hole, it's not that dirty of a secret.

i understand the rules, but i doubt that was the reason the rule of 1 year renewable was set up so that coaches could cream their rosters.  the fact that rickma was probably 1 player defection/expulsion away from putting saint louis university on probation is proof of that.   

imo the 1 year renewable allowed coaches to control the character of the team.   getting rid of bad teamates, bad students and bad citizens.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it's the dirty little secret billiken fandom chooses to not talk about.  rickma almost had us on probation for the roster turnover.   he was no doubt the master of creaming a roster to find his players that would play his way.  no doubt he was a huge success, but a lot of those players that were pushed out the door didnt deserve to be treated as such and their dream of being a billiken were crashed.   

but i agree that i dont give crewsplatt a pass.      

It was talked about constantly during his tenure. A lot of the 1-and-dones were actually aware that they were at SLU for 1 year. Some of the people you mentioned, left because of a scandal. Some people just transferred. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

B Roy has his view and I understand it, these are young student athletes and you disrupt their lives by pushing them out.  I get it.

 

However,  the world is harsh and if you don't have what it takes then you take your sweet cheeks to GCU don't play basketball at SLU.   You can stay at SLU if you really want to you just have to pay for it like most other students.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Can Old Guy explain to me what a super duper hole spreader is?  Also is pink and tight good?  I mean medically speaking. 

Does Leon have access he can share?

Not for the kind of holes I believe they are talking here. Most of the need for spreading that particular hole have been taken care of by fiberoptic laparoscopic techniques. If there is a need to visualize parts of the anal sphincter that are otherwise not readily accessible,  I suppose they might need to do an exploration with old fashioned retractors in an OR with full anesthesia.

So, from a purely medical point of view there are no super duper spreaders for that particular hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

B Roy has his view and I understand it, these are young student athletes and you disrupt their lives by pushing them out.  I get it.

 

However,  the world is harsh and if you don't have what it takes then you take your sweet cheeks to GCU don't play basketball at SLU.   You can stay at SLU if you really want to you just have to pay for it like most other students.

Not much different than a scholarship based on grades.

If you aren’t living up to your end of the deal that scholarship gets taken away. You can still attend the University but your academic scholarship is gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it's the dirty little secret billiken fandom chooses to not talk about.  rickma almost had us on probation for the roster turnover.   he was no doubt the master of creaming a roster to find his players that would play his way.  no doubt he was a huge success, but a lot of those players that were pushed out the door didnt deserve to be treated as such and their dream of being a billiken were crashed.   

but i agree that i dont give crewsplatt a pass.      

More time passes more psssed I am way he handled Lisch & Liddell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it's the dirty little secret billiken fandom chooses to not talk about.  rickma almost had us on probation for the roster turnover.   he was no doubt the master of creaming a roster to find his players that would play his way.  no doubt he was a huge success, but a lot of those players that were pushed out the door didnt deserve to be treated as such and their dream of being a billiken were crashed.   

but i agree that i dont give crewsplatt a pass.      

As you can see in the post you replied to of mine, I definitely agree that Rick had a ton of roster turnover.  I'm sure there were some players who felt pushed out (rightly or wrongly) and others who couldn't stand Majerus / saw the writing on the wall so they left of their own accord.  We really have no way of knowing how many were in each group.  I do think as I indicated in my post that moving on from some of the players was definitely in the best interest of the program regardless of their on court skill.  There are certainly others who I wonder about - Christian Salecich is probably the main one who feels like he was perhaps pushed out unfairly.

I have a feeling the player who really sticks in your craw that Majerus "pushed out the door" is Daniel Lisch and I'm sure this has been hashed out before on the board.  It is pretty clear to me that Majerus was doing him / the Lisch family a favor by giving him a 1 year shot.  He had no other D1 interest and didn't sign with SLU until summer when most recruits had already signed.  SLU still had a scholarship open so Majerus did him a favor.  Here is the quote when he signed "As we all know, NCAA scholarships are tendered on a year-by-year basis, and Daniel's competitiveness and commitment as well as his character should add to our team spirit as well as our goal of having extremely competitive practices this season."  Perhaps Majerus didn't communicate clearly enough to Daniel or the Lisch family, but I don't know how you can read that quote and assume this was anything more than a 1 year scholarship to be a practice body.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

 

I have a feeling the player who really sticks in your craw that Majerus "pushed out the door" is Daniel Lisch and I'm sure this has been hashed out before on the board.  It is pretty clear to me that Majerus was doing him / the Lisch family a favor by giving him a 1 year shot.  He had no other D1 interest and didn't sign with SLU until summer when most recruits had already signed.  SLU still had a scholarship open so Majerus did him a favor. 

no you are wrong.   while i hate that daniel was put in that position (very nice kid and a heart of gold), actually the lisch family had no business pushing slu into letting daniel on the team for a year.   he wasnt good enough and rickma made no bones about it, the kid wasnt going to get a chance and the lisch's took it anyway.    father biondi pushed rickma into doing it and played his "i'm the boss" card.   

so anyway, no i had no problem with that one.    should have never happened.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...