Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I could have missed him, but yesterday they made a big deal about Bobby Knight returning to IU and had a lot of former players but I did not see Crews

5e3f4b856385e.image.thumb.jpg.7bba0eefb4986708615023a4a1559709.jpg

The bum was there.  Guess his 6th grade team didn't have a game this weekend.

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is interesting to me because didn’t Reynolds transfer from SLU after Ford was hired?  I mean I get that after spending 2 seasons under Crews he wanted a change of scenery, but kind of funny to “wish” he was there when Ford was coach.

Ford ran him off.  Too close with Yarbrough.  

18 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He tried to fight Dickie V.  
Vitale played it off but a lot of people think Knight didn’t know who he was due to his dementia.

Knight finally wised up and started hating Dick Vitale like the rest of America.

dlarry likes this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Majerus is the only coach who could have done something with Lancona. Majerus’ system made players look better than they were. 

Would Majerus have even recruited Lancona?  Maybe he would have, but I question it.

I will disagree somewhat with your latter statement.  I think Majerus was a genius who could put players in position to succeed, but I don't know if I'd say he made them look better than they actually were.

44 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Would Majerus have even recruited Lancona?  Maybe he would have, but I question it.

I will disagree somewhat with your latter statement.  I think Majerus was a genius who could put players in position to succeed, but I don't know if I'd say he made them look better than they actually were.

I thought he did. 

As far as I know Lancona has not done much in terms of basketball since transferring out of SLU. However both Neufeld and Myles Reynolds have done pretty well elsewhere. This, more than Lancona, places the onus squarely upon Crews. There was ability and talent in the team, Crews just did not know how to get it to work.

Roby must be as confused as us. They were in the same class and he played for Ford. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">🤔🤔🤔 <a href="https://t.co/lfx7dkwLPf">https://t.co/lfx7dkwLPf</a></p>&mdash; Davell Roby (@RobyFiles) <a href="https://twitter.com/RobyFiles/status/1226566093260623872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3star_recruit likes this

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

As far as I know Lancona has not done much in terms of basketball since transferring out of SLU. However both Neufeld and Myles Reynolds have done pretty well elsewhere. This, more than Lancona, places the onus squarely upon Crews. There was ability and talent in the team, Crews just did not know how to get it to work.

Crazy that Lancona and McBroom played a MAJOR role in our win over NC State in the tourney. 

8 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Crazy that Lancona and McBroom played a MAJOR role in our win over NC State in the tourney. 

11 and 12 minutes for a total of 5 points. Definitely played more than I remembered.

Loe and McCall played 40. Loe was unreal that game. Should be in the Billiken Hall of Fame for that game alone. 22 and 15.

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

Everyone that played for Crews hated him. This isn't news. 

Given all of the stuff that has come out from former players who seem to dislike Crews, it is pretty amazing that he was hired full time in the first place and that he kept his job as long as he did.  Reflects very poorly on Chris May, IMO.  I'm not saying players should always love their coach or the AD should take the opinion of players over the coach, but yikes.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

Given all of the stuff that has come out from former players who seem to dislike Crews, it is pretty amazing that he was hired full time in the first place and that he kept his job as long as he did.  Reflects very poorly on Chris May, IMO.  I'm not saying players should always love their coach or the AD should take the opinion of players over the coach, but yikes.

chris may didnt hire crews was rickma's choice.  whatever rickma wanted he got.   

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

chris may didnt hire crews was rickma's choice.  whatever rickma wanted he got.   

Rickma was dead when Chris May chose to give Crews the full time job (after his interim season) and then it was Chris May's decision again not to fire him after his first awful season once all the Majerus players graduated.

I know you hate Majerus, but I'm not sure you pin the Crews years on him.  Heck, Chris May could have overridden Majerus' choice (if Crews was really Majerus choice) and made Whitesell interim coach instead.