Recruiting 2015

How is this for a clean house situation (assuming Ash and AM are on schedule to graduate)

Ash and AM go be 5th year transfers to Manhattan and UC-Irvine respectively.

Lancona finds a better landing spot. Three scholarships open up.

Starting 5 for next year is MR, DR, MY, RA, AG.

Is anyone really looking forward to Ash and McBroom contributing major mins as seniors? It kind of seems like a John Manning throwaway situation...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every scholarship position is filled for next year = 13 per team all full now, subtract Manning and Glaze while adding in Neufeld and Welmer. And if you believe Doc B, bank on Glaze being back. So the first transfer out slot is thereby accounted for Glaze according to our esteemed insider.

While anything is possible (even Nick's vision/version) I doubt McBroom and Yacoubou will go anywhere. Given the state of affairs surroundign college basketball today, with the frequency of transfer being the norm, every kid on our oster stands the chane of not returning next year. Not that Iknowanythign special.

Would I be upset of those two left? No. But even though they aren't program changers, they're useful players and probably necessary if we want even sniff the NIT next year. They both have their faults and maybe Ash shouldn't be such a "high-usage" player on offense, but at an absolute minimum, they'll contribute more than any incoming freshmen if we all of a sudden have 3+ scholarships to fill.

And if you believe Doc B, bank on Glaze being back. So the first transfer out slot is thereby accounted for Glaze according to our esteemed insider.

Taj, with all due respect to Doc B and GG, I have absolutely no doubt that GG would very much like to play a final year with us, and I have no doubt that there are some in the coaching staff that would be willing to give him the chance. What is not clear, and will not be clear until the time comes, is whether or not his shoulder will allow the kind of play that will be expected of him without further dislocations. This is a thorny issue. Many people screw up their rehab process by trying very hard, in effect speeding up the gradual rehab process, to do whatever it was they were doing before the surgery. I am sure we will see, in due time, whether or not GG managed a full gradual rehab during the time he has been off or not. I will say categorically that we do not want a player in the team that will play a couple of games and then go out again with a repeat shoulder dislocation.

Agreed. I find it hard to believe that a guy they don't even want being around the team this year will be on the team next year.

Yeah I don't get why people think that a guy who isn't even slightly a part of the day to day life of the team will be back next year. Seems like something significant will have to change

Ash and McBroom may have been frustrating at times, but they're much better than Manning. Absent them doing something to hurt team chemistry, I want them here next year.

Agreed. The other problem is if they leave after this season and have their scholarships filled for 2015, there won't be any available scholarships in 2016 for FBJT and a buddy. ;) I can think of one freshman who has already spent a year at prep school and seems to have very little upside who I wouldn't mind seeing depart.

I haven't really been frustrated with McBroom outside a couple isolated games (ie, the final shot at GW). And those were more than made up for by him hitting late shots to win other games, something you can't say about anybody else on the roster. Yacoubou on the other hand has been incredibly frustrating. But I don't think there's much of a question that our chance to be good next year would take a pretty significant hit if either one left.

I haven't really been frustrated with McBroom outside a couple isolated games (ie, the final shot at GW). And those were more than made up for by him hitting late shots to win other games, something you can't say about anybody else on the roster. Yacoubou on the other hand has been incredibly frustrating. But I don't think there's much of a question that our chance to be good next year would take a pretty significant hit if either one left.

Unless they graduate in the Spring or even this summer and won't have to sit a year, being both seniors, I think you can pretty much a guarantee they will return.

How many players on our team would fall under the "would be very upset to see them transfer" list? In terms of a basketball standpoint only - taking all things into consideration (team needs, year in school, potential, what you've done, etc).

I still think Yarbrough, Bartley, Gillmann, and Roby will form a good core. But there is literally no other player on the roster I'd be sad to see go.

McBroom and Yacoubou might be eligible immediately as 5th year seniors if they graduate in May (both are in their fourth year of college). I don't necessarily want to see them go, but they've both been frustrating enough this season to have lost my patience and sympathy.

Crawford is my favorite of the sophomores, but he's another who has underperformed. He's been a non-factor in some games. I don't get it. He seems to do a lot of little things well but it doesn't add up on the floor.

I still think Yarbrough, Bartley, Gillmann, and Roby will form a good core. But there is literally no other player on the roster I'd be sad to see go.

McBroom and Yacoubou might be eligible immediately as 5th year seniors if they graduate in May (both are in their fourth year of college). I don't necessarily want to see them go, but they've both been frustrating enough this season to have lost my patience and sympathy.

Crawford is my favorite of the sophomores, but he's another who has underperformed. He's been a non-factor in some games. I don't get it. He seems to do a lot of little things well but it doesn't add up on the floor.

I agree with you on that those 4 can be a good core. All 4 will need to be coached up though.

Since I'm not expecting a great season next year, I wouldn't be upset if AM or AY left. If anything they might just block the young guys more. But if we get on a role next year, we'll probably wish we had them.

Crawford is the only sophomore that I'd want to stay. But I agree, he disappears in some games. Part of that is due to inconsistency in minutes but part is because he's just limited in a couple different ways. Still more times than not, he stays within his role which can't be said about everyone on this team. I like Agbeko and I'm willing to be patient with him, but I can't say I see a definite difference maker down the line.

How many players on our team would fall under the "would be very upset to see them transfer" list? In terms of a basketball standpoint only - taking all things into consideration (team needs, year in school, potential, what you've done, etc).

The Core4 frosh are obvious. Dont sleep on Reggie. Im not excited about what I see on the floor at all this year but his strength and athleticism for his size are rare finds at a mid major program. I would be upset to see him go. Remember how lost Cory was freshmen and sophomore years and he turned into a very solid player for us. Add his plus interior defense to last years team which saves rob some energy and fouls on the defensive end who knows what happens. Every big at our level takes time to develop. On that same line, I cannot stand watching Jolly and think he is terrible right now (especially his constant whining and dumb fouls) but you cant teach a big touch or natural shooting which he has. He is poor at about everything else but those are things hard work can fix. Is he willing to do that?

I remember when Ash came here Crews talked about how he is always going 90 mph on a 60 mph road (I believe that was his quote) and it's a matter of getting him to drive 65 or 70 but to keep from getting tickets. He is getting far too many tickets now. Hopefully Crews can wake him up to this next year. I do not want to see him go at all. McBroom I am indifferent to. I can see why Majerus wanted his outside shooting on last years team but without a dwayne or jordair drawing multiple defenders i dont see a role for him. Seems like a good kid though.

I think MR could very well develop into a solid, consistent contributor for us down the road. I would probably be sad to see him go. However, that being said, I would not be surprised to see him decide to transfer after the season. He's a very smart kid whose dad runs an investment firm in Chicago. I seem to remember he had Ivy League offers before choosing SLU. I definitely could see his dad telling him that he had his one year of major college ball to prove to himself that he's not headed to the NBA, and that it's time to think about his future after basketball. A business degree from SLU is a valuable thing to have, but it doesn't compare to an Ivy League business degree. Plus, he would probably be much more of a factor in Ivy League games than at the level we're trying to play.

I think MR could very well develop into a solid, consistent contributor for us down the road. I would probably be sad to see him go. However, that being said, I would not be surprised to see him decide to transfer after the season. He's a very smart kid whose dad runs an investment firm in Chicago. I seem to remember he had Ivy League offers before choosing SLU. I definitely could see his dad telling him that he had his one year of major college ball to prove to himself that he's not headed to the NBA, and that it's time to think about his future after basketball. A business degree from SLU is a valuable thing to have, but it doesn't compare to an Ivy League business degree. Plus, he would probably be much more of a factor in Ivy League games than at the level we're trying to play.

He was looking at Columbia. I hope he stays. He brings a lot of energy, makes freethrows, and has a nice midrange jumpshot.