Recruiting 2015

If Nuefeld & Welmer aren't better than Gillmann & Jolly, how many projects can a roster withstand?

With Gillmann, you can definitely see possibilities with his passing, 3 pointers and occasional rebounds and put backs.

With Jolly I haven't seen a sign of anything he is good at, besides free throws. We may be developing another Manning.

I think Gillmann will be okay. With respect to rebounds, he is usually in decent position he just gets outmuscled. Same with defense; he just gets run over. What concerns me a little is his apparent aversion to contact. At least it seems that Jolly doesn't have a problem with that.

From Neufeld's videos it seems like he can take contact fairly well...it will just be a question of strength if he can contribute right away.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Nuefeld & Welmer aren't better than Gillmann & Jolly, how many projects can a roster withstand?

The way I see it we can withstand a few projects as long as they can show they are improving and learning. Everyone coming in has to learn and has to bulk up. It takes time. What we cannot withstand is people warming the bench in an ongoing basis because they are just not doing what they are supposed to do during practice.

Gillman has nice talent but minutes need to be taken by other bigs; I liked the high post passing Tanner Lancona did the last time

he saw action from the floor instead of the bench. His passing and inbounding passes were better than what we have had since.

I like Mike Crawford inbounding but he is shorter and not as strong as TL if we insist on this 3/4 length pass just to get the ball in.

I would think Reynolds could be taught to get separation and to steal the ball so he could play more often-isn't he supposed to be fast?

With half a dozen guys RA, TL, Jolly, Gillman, Neufeld, Welmer you would think we could try high post low post again. It broke the zone defense something we had trouble with in the past.

Our problems with bigs are two: no rebounding and no blocking out. They all want to be the next Rob Loe not the next Chris Heinrich. We are easy to drive in against and we have the rebounds taken out of JM and AG's hands too often when they do get them

Not at all. But you have to keep recruiting in case things don't work out with someone.

Okay, For-DaLove and JettFlight5, what happens if the players who are your priorities commit for 2015 and there are no available scholarships. Do you tell current players you won't renew their scholarships?

With Gillmann, you can definitely see possibilities with his passing, 3 pointers and occasional rebounds and put backs.

With Jolly I haven't seen a sign of anything he is good at, besides free throws. We may be developing another Manning.

I disagree on Jolly I think he looks better than JM now not to mention comparing Fr years. I remember back in last millennium growing up how many tall guys I met who hated being typecast as automatically being basketball players. I see a lot of that watching Manning for 4 years. Hate being - about one of our kids and I'm sure he's a great kid and hope he's getting a meaningful education out of his scholarship but there seems to be nobody involved in the games that seems less happy to be there.

Okay, For-DaLove and JettFlight5, what happens if the players who are your priorities commit for 2015 and there are no available scholarships. Do you tell current players you won't renew their scholarships?

Those situations have a tendency to figure themselves out.

Next year, Neufeld and Welmer are both 2 star freshmen centers. They are going to have the same adjustments that AG and BJ made to Crews/D1/going to class, etc. Anyone who thinks that one of these 2 will come in and outproduce the current guys onthe roster is drunk on koolaid. If we are going to blossom, it is going to be done with this same core getting more comfortable together.

Our lack of point guard is killing us right now.

Neufeld is a 5 Wlemer is a stretch 4. Neufeld is a 3star on rivals and ESPN. Seems to be athletic and to quote rivals "Neufeld is a center who can drive from the High Post"

That'd be Tres Tinkle. He's good.

My guess is the original post was about former SLU player John Seyfert. He was also the Montana Player of the Year. He was not good.

I still remember being at a Cardinals game back in 2000 when I saw Lorenzo Romar there with some recruits on a visit. Jamal Sampson (Top 25-50 recruit from CA), Jamaal Williams (Top 100 recruit from CA), and John Seyfert ( Montana POY). Sampson was a one-and-done at Cal, Williams was a decent player at New Mexico and Washington, and we got Seyfert out of the three, finishing 2nd on the other two. Seyfert played sparingly in 1 year at SLU before transferring.

But yeah, Tres Tinkle is a highly regarded recruit.

Gillmann is more than okay. He's got potential to be all league imo

I agree that he has a ton of potential. In hindsight, 2/3 of the way through this season, I now wish that he had redshirted this year. He has not been a difference maker in any game this year, so losing his production likely wouldn't change our record. If Jolly and Manning (and Agbeko) picked up his 14 minutes per game, we still would be 9-12. He obviously needs more mass to defend A10 post players. If he could develop physically and vastly improve his footwork in order to defend quicker 4's, my what a stretch 4 he could be. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Gillman has nice talent but minutes need to be taken by other bigs; I liked the high post passing Tanner Lancona did the last time

he saw action from the floor instead of the bench. His passing and inbounding passes were better than what we have had since.

I like Mike Crawford inbounding but he is shorter and not as strong as TL if we insist on this 3/4 length pass just to get the ball in.

I would think Reynolds could be taught to get separation and to steal the ball so he could play more often-isn't he supposed to be fast?

With half a dozen guys RA, TL, Jolly, Gillman, Neufeld, Welmer you would think we could try high post low post again. It broke the zone defense something we had trouble with in the past.

Our problems with bigs are two: no rebounding and no blocking out. They all want to be the next Rob Loe not the next Chris Heinrich. We are easy to drive in against and we have the rebounds taken out of JM and AG's hands too often when they do get them

I keep hearing how we are horrible at rebounding. True, we are getting out rebounded overall, but if you look at the statistics, it is only by fewer than 4 rebounds per game. It is not exactly a rebounding disaster. Moreover, part of that is likely due to the way we work to set up our defense so quickly. If you take that into consideration, we are probably rebounding at a level close to our competition.

You think he'll be better than Loe? That's amazing. I guess we're watching different games.

I think Gillllmannnnn does have Rob Loe potential because he seems to see the floor well from the high post. His passes are not yet where they need to be for D1 ball, but he is only a freshman and he makes generally good, if sometimes poorly executed, decisions. I was a huge Loe fan, but I think Gilllllmannnnn could be just as good, maybe better. He needs to see Backhand though about a Conklin summer, no doubt. He also needs a little more arch in his shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Christian Williams will visit SLU on Sunday per this Scout article. Even though the 2/3 is probably the only position we don't need another guy, he seems like a really good player. Seems like he likes the Big10 offers, but hopefully his visit goes well.

Northern Illinois, Illinois State, Green Bay, Bradley, Illinois-Chicago, Albany, Southern Illinois Edwardsville and La Salle have offered Williams scholarships, he said. He's hearing consistently from those schools as well as Iowa, Saint Louis, Florida Gulf Coast and Minnesota, he said.

Williams has visited Illinois State and Northern Illinois on multiple occasions. He's scheduled to stop at Saint Louis on Feb. 22 and wants to take official visits to Florida Gulf Coast and Minnesota.

This past weekend, Williams visited Iowa for its 71-55 victory against then No. 17Maryland. He'd been to the campus several times before.

http://iowa.scout.com/story/1512760-williams-back-at-iowa