Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my sources are telling me there will be 2 transfers. they are very good sources.

don't ask: no names for now. that is all . . . . .

Hmmm... like I said in the recruiting hindsight thread - "I won't mind if a couple players transfer (as long as they are the right two who leave)"

I hope we are exploring the JUCO route - I would like to see a quality 4 to allow MY to play more of a 3 role. Also, even if MB continues to develop, we could still use some more help at PG.

Hmmm... like I said in the recruiting hindsight thread - "I won't mind if a couple players transfer (as long as they are the right two who leave)"

I hope we are exploring the JUCO route - I would like to see a quality 4 to allow MY to play more of a 3 role. Also, even if MB continues to develop, we could still use some more help at PG.

A JUCO or immediately eligible transfer PG who can run the offense would be huge.

Marcus Relphorde was part of the first class that Majerus got rid of and went to Colorado and averaged 11 points a game for 2 seasons on a team that made the NIT Final 4.

Jon Smith left and went to Ohio where he played about 20 minutes per game and was more of a defensive force, including being on a team that went to the Sweet 16.

Other than those, I agree and I think it shows that Majerus basically had a policy of pushing out the lower rung guys while keeping the best players. Its undoubtedly part of the reason we ended up with such a strong nucleus for our 3 year run.

The key with transfers is making sure the guys that leave are the ones that you want to leave and not ones that are "recruited" by bigger programs. There is absolutely no inside info here but I worry that our two juniors will be recruited as they both may be immediately eligible for transfer if they graduate after this year. Given some people's thoughts on them, maybe that isn't a horrible thing, but I tend to believe we can still be decent next year if the right players all come back.

I think that is a terrible rule to allow a player who has already transferred once, to be allowed to transfer again without having to sit out a year. The school who has accepted the transfer has already committed one year of an education without that player see the floor during that season. In a way, the school gets punished for having originally accepted the transfer. I don't mind if a player who has stayed at one school to earn their undergrad degree, gets to transfer for that final year without having to sit out, but the other instance just doesn't seem right.

Marcus Relphorde was part of the first class that Majerus got rid of and went to Colorado and averaged 11 points a game for 2 seasons on a team that made the NIT Final 4.

Jon Smith left and went to Ohio where he played about 20 minutes per game and was more of a defensive force, including being on a team that went to the Sweet 16.

Other than those, I agree and I think it shows that Majerus basically had a policy of pushing out the lower rung guys while keeping the best players. Its undoubtedly part of the reason we ended up with such a strong nucleus for our 3 year run.

The key with transfers is making sure the guys that leave are the ones that you want to leave and not ones that are "recruited" by bigger programs. There is absolutely no inside info here but I worry that our two juniors will be recruited as they both may be immediately eligible for transfer if they graduate after this year. Given some people's thoughts on them, maybe that isn't a horrible thing, but I tend to believe we can still be decent next year if the right players all come back.

If I remember correctly Relphorde was not asked to leave my RM he simply choose to leave because he wanted to play a position that RM did not think fit him. Jon Smith left because he was getting out ahead of the "incident" fall out - RM did not ask him to leave.

my sources are telling me there will be 2 transfers. they are very good sources.

don't ask: no names for now. that is all . . . . .

-from a kid's perspective wouldn't make sense to transfer over the break? so I wonder if this is true today that it means that the staff is going to non-renew a couple versus them leaving on their on volition

-from a kid's perspective wouldn't make sense to transfer over the break? so I wonder if this is true today that it means that the staff is going to non-renew a couple versus them leaving on their on volition

I thought this too when I heard transfer rumors. The only other thing I could think of is that the players who are rumored to be transferring wanted to wait until the end of the year hoping a better situation will open up at a solid school.

If I remember correctly Relphorde was not asked to leave my RM he simply choose to leave because he wanted to play a position that RM did not think fit him. Jon Smith left because he was getting out ahead of the "incident" fall out - RM did not ask him to leave.

Right, on both counts. And didn't Relphorde end up playing the position Majerus wanted him to play?

There is absolutely no inside info here but I worry that our two juniors will be recruited as they both may be immediately eligible for transfer if they graduate after this year. Given some people's thoughts on them, maybe that isn't a horrible thing, but I tend to believe we can still be decent next year if the right players all come back.

But does anybody on here even know if those two are on track to graduate this year? I would be sorry to see either of those guys go. That would be the one way to absolutely guarantee the "rebuilding" or "bottoming out" or whatever you want to call it continues for a second season.

Memories can fade but I'm pretty sure everyone (at least on this board) knew that Jon Smith was transferring prior to the incident. It hadn't been formally announced which is why many people associate his leaving with the incident.

Memories can fade but I'm pretty sure everyone (at least on this board) knew that Jon Smith was transferring prior to the incident. It hadn't been formally announced which is why many people associate his leaving with the incident.

I decided to investigate:

According to this thread, people believed Jon Smith was going to transfer as of April 29, 2010

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19096&hl=%20smith%20%20transferring&page=2

The incident occurred on May 1.

The ability of the school to not renew a scholarship may not exist after this weekend. The NCAA convention is this weekend and guaranteed scholarships is an agenda item.

Lots of interesting posts in that thread

This may be the first time NH busted out the 33 ACT reference, but he did it in a hypothetical situation... this is not the other time he used it, which he became infamous for. Also, somebody questioned the signing of Jett. :o

This may be the first time NH busted out the 33 ACT reference, but he did it in a hypothetical situation... this is not the other time he used it, which he became infamous for. Also, somebody questioned the signing of Jett. :o

It is hard to read as some people are referring to Justin Jordan as JJ and some are doing the same to Jett. Some are doing it with both of them.

It was always my understanding that Jordan didn't have a chance in hell of returning. Majerus took him on out of desperation. Smith took off of his own volition. He was valued and would have been a much better player under Majerus.

Some were also questioning Majerus telling certain players to leave so that he could bring in stronger talent. MB's post in that thread was spot on.

Some were also questioning Majerus telling certain players to leave so that he could bring in stronger talent. MB's post in that thread was spot on.

At the time there was a huge debate over that. It had been done at SLU, Grawer certainly did it and Spoon too but Majerus was very upfront about it. It rankled some posters. Now it is encouraged by most.

Probably knows Bartly since they are both from Decatur. I wonder if that will help us.

This kid has several offers, mostly missouri valley type stuff but Illinois, Iowa St, and Iowa have shown interest.

He just received his eligibility for this season a few days ago.

Seems his mother moved to Springfield and he transferred to Lanphier, a powerhouse bball school. He didn't like it there and tranferred back to Decataur. His mother still lives in Springfield so he moved in with friends. His mother would not sign off on him living there and in Illinois to be eligible you must live with a parent or guardian. His mother continued to block his ability to play up until last week, she signed off on a living arrangement and IHSA granted him his eligibility.

Williams is a top 12 prospect in Illinois, compared to Malcolm Hill.