Recruiting 2015

Let's just say we may have multiple scholarships to fill for next year. People can be a dick about it if they want. I shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

Why post this if you don't want to share more? To me it sounds like you're saying a big part of the team is disillusioned with the coaching staff or their teammates and just want out. Since the sophomores and juniors were all here last year, knew what the staff was like and came back, I assume you must be saying we are going to see half the freshman class transfer. I've never seen that happen here(besides the event year or coaching change), even after some pretty bad years. I don't really recall it happening anyplace without a coaching change or an event being a catalyst. I would expect the freshmen to like what they see in their fellow freshmen's potential and want to stick around to be part of it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just say we may have multiple scholarships to fill for next year. People can be a dick about it if they want. I shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

We got it. You are a highly informed insider whom the staff and players have entrusted with deep secrets. We are all in awe. Next.

We got it. You are a highly informed insider whom the staff and players have entrusted with deep secrets. We are all in awe. Next.

I get it. You and the rest of the board struggle with terms like "rumors" and "heard from people" and "could change".

I regret saying anything. Just wanted to see if people thought we were still actively recruiting for this class.

Get your heads out of the sand people. Mark it down we have at least 2 transfers, maybe 3. With 9 players among the freshman and sophomores it was bound to happen. It is not taboo to talk about it. It is a common occurrence in D-1 ball.

Newbies need to learn that certain MBMs do have inside information.

Agreed. This board has a habit of running off those with inside info. Has been happening the past 15-20 years. I don't get it.

Get your heads out of the sand people. Mark it down we have at least 2 transfers, maybe 3. With 9 players among the freshman and sophomores it was bound to happen. It is not taboo to talk about it. It is a common occurrence in D-1 ball.

And it would have happened even if the team was performing great.

The thing is, people said this exact same thing with the big freshman class from 2010. It didn't happen then, so to say it "always happens" is simply false. When people claim to have inside info I certainly hope they have more to go on than the assumption that one or more of the guys just has to be considering transferring right now because of the D1 statistical average nationwide.

The thing is, people said this exact same thing with the big freshman class from 2010. It didn't happen then, so to say it "always happens" is simply false. When people claim to have inside info I certainly hope they have more to go on than the assumption that one or more of the guys just has to be considering transferring right now because of the D1 statistical average nationwide.

Three players were cleared from the scholarship rolls after the 10-11 season before their eligibility was up. Salecich, Eckerle, and Reed.

There are certain posters who actually do have inside information and it's not based on stats.

The class before Evans, Jett, McCall's had 3 transfers. The class before that had 3 as well. Out of the last 7 recruiting classes we have had transfers in all but 2 of them.

I've heard similar things from different people. Injuries, change of heart, new circumstances, etc. can change things but just figured I'd try to generate some discussion. You know, see if anyone on this board knows any names of specific players that were still looking at for this class. Or maybe any transfers or JUCO's where SLU could be a logical destination.

The class before Evans, Jett, McCall's had 3 transfers. The class before that had 3 as well. Out of the last 7 recruiting classes we have had transfers in all but 2 of them.

So this class could turn out like 2010, or it could turn out like 2009. Like someone else said earlier, individual circumstances drive these things. Carter transferred because the coach who recruited him got sick and died. Ruben Cotto transferred because the coach who recruited him didn't want him anymore. Justin Jordan transferred at least in part because of a sexual assault investigation. It's not as if these guys roll dice and leave because there's some sort of rule that five out of every seven classes must have at least one transfer, adding up to an average of one per season.

If anyone has actual inside info, great. But saying somebody just HAS TO transfer from this class because someone ALWAYS transfers is not only faulty reasoning, it's simply false. That's my only point.

We do have Glaze potentially waiting in the wings for next year. I'm still interested in whether he and the coaching staff would have any mutual interest in a fifth season, assuming he recovers okay from the surgery.

I've heard similar things from different people. Injuries, change of heart, new circumstances, etc. can change things but just figured I'd try to generate some discussion. You know, see if anyone on this board knows any names of specific players that were still looking at for this class. Or maybe any transfers or JUCO's where SLU could be a logical destination.

Will what you've heard hurt if it indeed comes to fruition?

If we have three open spots, I'd love for Glaze to return. We need a back-up 4, anyway, regardless of who transfers. Glaze has shown he can provide 15-20min of decent play, and if we want next year to suck less, we can't rely on freshmen to provide that.

I think Crews and Co need to be keeping tabs on PGs, whether they are HS, prep, or JUCO recruits. We still haven't found a PG to lead this team. Roby might be our best on the current roster, although with his size he'll always be more of a 2/3.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see one or two transfers. The rate of transfers across DI basketball right now is actually pretty high, and considering we have two guys coming in next year that could potentially be big contributors, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the guys riding the bench transfer.

Also, crews has already shown that he can bring in transfers, as he did with AY. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he brings in at least one for next season, particularly a shooter or point guard looking to get more minutes at a high level program.

I used to hate transfers, but I can't think of one player in the past 6 six years (likely longer) who has transferred from SLU and had an impact at the D1 level.

If you can't make it on this team, then good luck somewhere else.

Marcus Relphorde was part of the first class that Majerus got rid of and went to Colorado and averaged 11 points a game for 2 seasons on a team that made the NIT Final 4.

Jon Smith left and went to Ohio where he played about 20 minutes per game and was more of a defensive force, including being on a team that went to the Sweet 16.

Other than those, I agree and I think it shows that Majerus basically had a policy of pushing out the lower rung guys while keeping the best players. Its undoubtedly part of the reason we ended up with such a strong nucleus for our 3 year run.

The key with transfers is making sure the guys that leave are the ones that you want to leave and not ones that are "recruited" by bigger programs. There is absolutely no inside info here but I worry that our two juniors will be recruited as they both may be immediately eligible for transfer if they graduate after this year. Given some people's thoughts on them, maybe that isn't a horrible thing, but I tend to believe we can still be decent next year if the right players all come back.

There isabsolutely no inside info here but I worry that our two juniors will be recruited as they both may be immediately eligible for transfer if they graduate after this year.

You have mentioned something that no one else has, that all 12 scholarship players are on the 'eligible to transfer' list. I certainly hope McBroom and Ash are on course to graduate. I have no knowledge of their academic progress. I hope they both return, but the list of senior D1 players who transfer to another school is long.