Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 3 guys shooting over 41% from 3. I'm not even sure 3 point shooting is what we need right now.

Your're kidding, right? Percentages on a small sampling of shot attempts mean nothing. We need a guy who can penetrate, break defenses down and create assists by making those around him better (see KM), we need a guy who can flat out shoot the ball and who wants to shoot the ball when the shot clock is going down or when the game is on the line (see Kevin Lisch) and we need a big (at this point I will take an undersized guy like DE or Jeff Harris) who wants to play inside. Soft bigs who want to be the next RL only works if someone else is willing/able to go inside and take care of business (see BC, DE and sometimes CE). What good does it do if AG and TL play on the perimeter if we have no one being a real threat on the block? In that case, I'd argue we might be better playing 5 guards and making them have defensive problems.

Having too many bigs isn't the problem. Its having too many stiffs which most of ours are.

So just keep stockpiling more bigs until we find one? At this rate, we will soon have 9 bigs!! Shouldn't we let a few bigs (stiffs) go before we add more?

And like it or not, Yarbrough is probably going to have to play the 4 for the foreseeable future. I don't see the mythical impact juco big parachuting in here any time soon.

This is one of my questions going forward when it comes to identifying needs and how different guys fit. What position do the coaches envision Milik playing going forward? Whether he is more of a perimeter player or a low post scorer (like Dwayne) is a big factor as far as roster makeup in my opinion (maybe I wrong). If he is the 4, we have a lot of guys fighting for a limited number of minutes in the post (Agbeko, Lancona, Gillmann, Jolly, Welmer, and Neufeld). If he is the small forward, I am not sure in the group above if we have two guys who could really play together and be productive on offense and defense. I think that is why you are correct in saying that Milik is likely playing the 4 for the foreseeable future. We seem to have a group of combo guards and a group of thin big men with some perimeter ability offensively, but not many guys between that (definitely lacking a true point and a true post presence). I think that is why some posters correctly targeted Milik as the most likely impact freshman. So assuming Milik plays more of the 4 next year, I think the hole remains finding a post presense defensively (it either has to be one of those 6 or some of those guys needs to go) and a true point guard. I think the young guards are all capable of playing off the ball (none have really shown the ability to be the guy at the point) and Roby and Ash have the size and strength to guard most 3s. I also think with our lack of scoring and looking at the roster, a true scoring guard is also a need. Like you said, guard is a need regardless with Roby, Bartley, and Reynolds the only guards who will be around beyond next season.

We need someone to run the offense, someone that can consistently hit the 10-15 foot shot to help with spacing, and a low post presence on both ends of the court.

3 point shooting is way down the list.

Based on who is already signed in the 2015 class and who the the staff is trying to sign, I believe the staff agrees with you. Unless someone besides TL is transferring, there won't be another pg until 2016.The staff will have to do their best to develop the two that they have.

Based on who is already signed in the 2015 class and who the the staff is trying to sign, I believe the staff agrees with you. Unless someone besides TL is transferring, there won't be another pg until 2016.The staff will have to do their best to develop the two that they have.

Why can't a PG come in this year even if only one guy transfers?

Is it common to have an on-campus visit during the season when all available scholarships are already spoken for? Seems like that could be kind of an awkward situation, since there won't be a spot for him until one of the guys who'll be playing in Sunday's game announces he's transferring.

What is common is for somebody or bodies already on the team to have an idea that maybe they should not expect to be back. Given how this season has gone - unless you are a freshmen or junior next year is not a given that you get your schollie back - as for as I am concerned the whole group of current sophomores should be on the block. If JC keeps the current sophomores he will surely be on the block himself if next year does not show significant improvement. I told what the president send to my son - he understands that this year was a rebuilding year but not every year can be considered a rebuilding year.

What is common is for somebody or bodies already on the team to have an idea that maybe they should not expect to be back.

I remember a lot of angst over the few times that's happened here in recent memory (especially Jared Drew but also Christian Salecich and Ruben Cotto). Did Crews and Majerus have on-campus visits to fill those guys' spots while they were still playing for the team? That's what I'm curious about. I know it's fairly common to have guys not invited back.

I remember a lot of angst over the few times that's happened here in recent memory (especially Jared Drew but also Christian Salecich and Ruben Cotto). Did Crews and Majerus have on-campus visits to fill those guys' spots while they were still playing for the team?

That is an interesting question as with the current team it is clearly not due to players going pro, but a kid deciding to transfer/being run off.

Tanner, do you mind hosting a recruit this weekend and then on Monday turn in all of your gear?

I know Cotto left early in the year, so I assume there were no visits for his spot while he was still playing. But all the other local-ish guys Majerus supposedly "ran off" played that whole first season. I wonder if he was putting out campus invites to the guys who ended up filling their spots.

I know Cotto left early in the year, so I assume there were no visits for his spot while he was still playing. But all the other local-ish guys Majerus supposedly "ran off" played that whole first season. I wonder if he was putting out campus invites to the guys who ended up filling their spots.

I know in college football a lot of the big time programs oversign and proceed to run kids off, push kids to grayshirt or to JUCO, or inform a verbal commit that they no longer have an offer (this happened to a kid a few days before signing day this year). With football though there are so many more players that it wouldn't be as obvious and some recruits may not qualify, but with only 13 scholarships in basketball it is pretty clear when your scholarships are full. I do think with the increasing number of transfers that coaches should never stop recruiting. It just becomes kind of a strange when you have a full roster lined up and you continue to extend offers and host recruits on visits when they are being recruited for next season unless a current player has essentially made his intentions to transfer known.

Your're kidding, right? Percentages on a small sampling of shot attempts mean nothing. We need a guy who can penetrate, break defenses down and create assists by making those around him better (see KM), we need a guy who can flat out shoot the ball and who wants to shoot the ball when the shot clock is going down or when the game is on the line (see Kevin Lisch) and we need a big (at this point I will take an undersized guy like DE or Jeff Harris) who wants to play inside. Soft bigs who want to be the next RL only works if someone else is willing/able to go inside and take care of business (see BC, DE and sometimes CE). What good does it do if AG and TL play on the perimeter if we have no one being a real threat on the block? In that case, I'd argue we might be better playing 5 guards and making them have defensive problems.

So just keep stockpiling more bigs until we find one? At this rate, we will soon have 9 bigs!! Shouldn't we let a few bigs (stiffs) go before we add more?

No. That's part of the problem. We have too many big stiffs that can't help us win. We can't devote too many of our roster spots to big stiffs. If Nuefeld and Welmer are a couple of stiffs we're sunk. You can have plenty of bigs like Wisconsin because they can all play. If we have 5 slow, poor rebounding, poor defending, mediocre at best offensively bigs next year .500 is out of the question. We've got a better chance at bringing in some good guards that can star than big guys. If Nuefeld and Welmer are like Jolly and Gillmann we are in for another long season.

No. That's part of the problem. We have too many big stiffs that can't help us win. We can't devote too many of our roster spots to big stiffs. If Nuefeld and Welmer are a couple of stiffs we're sunk. You can have plenty of bigs like Wisconsin because they can all play. If we have 5 slow, poor rebounding, poor defending, mediocre at best offensively bigs next year .500 is out of the question. We've got a better chance at bringing in some good guards that can star than big guys. If Nuefeld and Welmer are like Jolly and Gillmann we are in for another long season.

Some of the crappiest schools have decent bigs superior to ours. They are out there, why aren't we looking or finding them? Is it a problem with recruiting or more so with the development? What came first, the chicken or the egg?

The last decent Air Craft Carrier we had here was maybe Reed, if you call him an Aircraft Carrier, and then Vouyoukas. Loe wasn't what I call an Aircraft Carrier. He wasn't a banger. Conklin was a banger, but not big enough to be an Aircraft Carrier. I'm talking about a protypical 5 in the center hole, not a misplaced power forward.

Some of the crappiest schools have decent bigs superior to ours. They are out there, why aren't we looking or finding them? Is it a problem with recruiting or more so with the development? What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I've noticed this also. Crappy teams with strong rebounders who are threats to score inside. I don't understand why we have so much trouble finding decent big men.

I've noticed this also. Crappy teams with strong rebounders who are threats to score inside. I don't understand why we have so much trouble finding decent big men.

Sometimes when you suck at something you can make it a strength by simply knowing you suck at that specific thing and not do it. Crews must know that he can't spot a legitimate 5 of his life depended on it. He will find success by knowing not to trust his own judgement and pick a school that finds decent big men and just mirror any offer they give a big man. Saves on travel too.

Sometimes when you suck at something you can make it a strength by simply knowing you suck at that specific thing and not do it. Crews must know that he can't spot a legitimate 5 of his life depended on it. He will find success by knowing not to trust his own judgement and pick a ###### school that finds decent big men and just mirror any offer they give a big man. Saves on travel too.

Yeah. Kentucky seems to find good big men. Lets just offer whoever they offer.