November 4th Game?

At the end of Avila's announcement, it was explicitly hinted that the first game of the season would be November 4th with something to do with the Pentagon (?)

Any insights on this?

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls has hosted some neutral site games. 

Have no idea if this is it, but Sanford Pentagon has an event listed for Iowa Hawkeyes Men’s Basketball on December 21. No opponent announced.

9 minutes ago, Adman said:

Have no idea if this is it, but Sanford Pentagon has an event listed for Iowa Hawkeyes Men’s Basketball on December 21. No opponent announced.

The date mentioned in the announcement was Nov 4

Adman likes this

10 minutes ago, Adman said:

Hawkeyes vs Utah in that game

Adman likes this

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I hear the opponent will be Santa Clara.

Santa Clara???

Guess you can never turn down the opportunity to play 109th ranked team from a tiny conference on the west coast at a neutral site 8 hours from home.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Santa Clara???

Guess you can never turn down the opportunity to play 109th ranked team from a tiny conference on the west coast at a neutral site 8 hours from home.

I know that last season we were very bad and that we will improve under Schertz next season. We ended last season at 185 in Team Rankings and Santa Clara ended at 108. Judging by the end rankings for last year, might be a good opportunity to show how much we have improved under Schertz.

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I know that last season we were very bad and that we will improve under Schertz next season. We ended last season at 185 in Team Rankings and Santa Clara ended at 108. Judging by the end rankings for last year, might be a good opportunity to show how much we have improved under Schertz.

Using last year’s team ranking is meaningless. How many of Santa Clara’s players hit the portal?  Who did they bring in?

If the Billikens can jump from 185 to a two digit ranking many other teams can also. Wait until the rosters are set before speculating on the strength of a team. 
It’s a new world out there. Throw past trends out the window. 

Old guy likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Using last year’s team ranking is meaningless. How many of Santa Clara’s players hit the portal?  Who did they bring in?

If the Billikens can jump from 185 to a two digit ranking many other teams can also. Wait until the rosters are set before speculating on the strength of a team. 
It’s a new world out there. Throw past trends out the window. 

I'm sure Santa Clara is putting together a top 25 roster. Get real.

We have the hottest coach and one of the most marketable players in the country. Santa Clara is pretty underwhelming. 

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm sure Santa Clara is putting together a top 25 roster. Get real.

We have the hottest coach and one of the most marketable players in the country. Santa Clara is pretty underwhelming. 

We need wins - is this a guarantee - no but given our current roster condition and our need to show immediate improvement we should be happy that anybody is willing to invite us to anything.  Lets not get ahead of our skis.

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don’t think we’re in any position to whine about our opponents. We haven’t proved anything yet. 

Are we sure it’s Santa Clara?  I have only seen the post from Taj saying that he’s heard it is Santa Clara. Has anyone seen any verification of this?

kshoe likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Based on all the players they have returning and the addition of a former player who averaged 15 points a game for them 2 years ago, Santa Clara will be a preseason top 50 team.  It's not a sexy matchup but it is a potential Quad 1 opportunity.

It’s amazing how some posters don’t understand the portal even with the Bills right in the middle of it. It’s the Wild West out there, not your parents NCAA. I’ll take a potential Quad 1 or a Quad 2 game any day, anywhere. 

This ain't no gimme!

Did anyone check Santa Clara's record last season?

Notable wins are Oregon, Washington State, Gonzaga, Duquesne, etc..

Washington State & Gonzaga being top 50 wins. In the Ford tenure, how many did we have of those?