Jump to content

WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Sorry Tate’s role is irrelevant now. His strength was the local connection but we don’t get local incoming freshman anymore. Either the talent is dry or he has not been doing his job. Not sure what role he has with transfers or NIL.

Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove and possibly Perkins never play here without Tate.  Not really bench players.

almaman likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove and possibly Perkins never play here without Tate.  Not really bench players.

You are wrong on Goodwin.   Ford was at Goodwin practices workouts and summer games almost daily after ford got hired.   Ford recruited goodwin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove and possibly Perkins never play here without Tate.  Not really bench players.

It doesn’t matter in 2024 and beyond.  High school recruits are not useful unless they play immediately.  With the portal everyone can get more college ready players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2024 at 5:26 AM, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I honestly just want to take Schertz out to my favorite brewery with food so he can get as much foodie info as possible. Dude is gonna love South City.

Coach Schertz needs a copy of this morning’s Post-Dispatch- critic Ian Froeb’s top 100 STL restaurants.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TRN said:

It doesn’t matter in 2024 and beyond.  High school recruits are not useful unless they play immediately.  With the portal everyone can get more college ready players.

Three of those four players played immediately.  And Tate got more than high school players, he got high scoring jucos as well.

Tate did the best job of anybody on the staff at recruiting.  But Coach Schertz has his own guys.  Which is absolutely understandable.

Zink likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Three of those four players played immediately.  And Tate got more than high school players, he got high scoring jucos as well.

Tate did the best job of anybody on the staff at recruiting.  But Coach Schertz has his own guys.  Which is absolutely understandable.

Agreed - also, with NIL any good local players who would show any interest in SLU will could be given a good NIL deal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Goodwin, Yuri, Hargrove and possibly Perkins never play here without Tate.  Not really bench players.

Again those guys were recruited 6-8 years ago.

Ford's staff had zero contact with locals the last 18 months. Can't reward Tate with a staff position when he's been sleeping on job for a year +.

Zink and stmdragons like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thetorch said:

Again those guys were recruited 6-8 years ago.

Ford's staff had zero contact with locals the last 18 months. Can't reward Tate with a staff position when he's been sleeping on job for a year +.

Exactly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Three of those four players played immediately.  And Tate got more than high school players, he got high scoring jucos as well.

Tate did the best job of anybody on the staff at recruiting.  But Coach Schertz has his own guys.  Which is absolutely understandable.

Like I said, 2024 is a different world.  Look around the country and see how many Freshman are in the portal.  Unless they get immediate playing time they are gone after a year.  Even then they may go shopping for more NIL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Again those guys were recruited 6-8 years ago.

Ford's staff had zero contact with locals the last 18 months. Can't reward Tate with a staff position when he's been sleeping on job for a year +.

Our leading scorer this year, a Coach Tate recruit, is in the portal and is receiving high major interest.  C'mon now.  I know some people need to burn the Coach Ford era to the ground for closure but hiring  Coach Tate was probably the best decision of his tenure. 

In any case, Coach Schertz has already had success recruiting the Midwest.  I have no doubt that he will bring in local players from time to time as he develops relationships in the area.

ACE, mrjoelabs and Bizziken like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TRN said:

Exactly

Maybe the word around town that TF’s days at SLU were numbered was not as recent as this message board thought. Would definitely put a crimp on local recruiting.  Not a knock against Tate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On at least two interviews, Coach Schertz stated he will recruit "Inside out" meaning he wants to keep the local players that he wants, at SLU.  There are several ways of getting that done.  Let's see what he does. 

I'm not that keyed into local HS talent, but there doesn't appear to be any must have in this years senior hoopsters class. Three juniors getting notice are Collins-St. Mary's, Randall-Vashon, and Walsh-Vianney.  There may be others out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

International players not getting NIL is not an NCAA rule but probably a federal visa restriction.  If you come to the USA on a student visa you cannot work and getting paid NIL is getting paid.

Yeah, just saying that it seems like NCAA and the US Govt are aligned on this.

I could have seen the NCAA trying to call NIL a form of work-study or stipend or something if they wanted to try to get away with it, like they did with “amateurism” for decades. 
 

Instead, it looks like everyone is ok with not paying student visa holders (for now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Zink said:

Yeah, just saying that it seems like NCAA and the US Govt are aligned on this.

I could have seen the NCAA trying to call NIL a form of work-study or stipend or something if they wanted to try to get away with it, like they did with “amateurism” for decades. 
 

Instead, it looks like everyone is ok with not paying student visa holders (for now).

Well when players work-study there were probably not many international student athletes.  The Federal Government laws have no reason to care about the NCAA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

On at least two interviews, Coach Schertz stated he will recruit "Inside out" meaning he wants to keep the local players that he wants, at SLU.  There are several ways of getting that done.  Let's see what he does. 

I'm not that keyed into local HS talent, but there doesn't appear to be any must have in this years senior hoopsters class. Three juniors getting notice are Collins-St. Mary's, Randall-Vashon, and Walsh-Vianney.  There may be others out there.

Not to put too much stock into social media, but Walsh definitely seems interested in SLU based on Twitter. And I believe Schertz recruited him at ISU.  He and the Smajcic (sp?) kid at Vianney seem like good fits for Schertz’s system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Not to put too much stock into social media, but Walsh definitely seems interested in SLU based on Twitter. And I believe Schertz recruited him at ISU.  He and the Smajcic (sp?) kid at Vianney seem like good fits for Schertz’s system. 

Eddie Smajic?  He is listed on the Vianney roster as a Soph 6'5" G/F. I'll let Pistol file in the blanks on him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our leading scorer this year, a Coach Tate recruit, is in the portal and is receiving high major interest.  C'mon now.  I know some people need to burn the Coach Ford era to the ground for closure but hiring  Coach Tate was probably the best decision of his tenure. 

In any case, Coach Schertz has already had success recruiting the Midwest.  I have no doubt that he will bring in local players from time to time as he develops relationships in the area.

Indeed.   What does it take to bring parker back?  Money?  Or were there academic issues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Our leading scorer this year, a Coach Tate recruit, is in the portal and is receiving high major interest.  C'mon now.  I know some people need to burn the Coach Ford era to the ground for closure but hiring  Coach Tate was probably the best decision of his tenure. 

In any case, Coach Schertz has already had success recruiting the Midwest.  I have no doubt that he will bring in local players from time to time as he develops relationships in the area.

The guy who the staff wouldn't play the year before?

The guy who was perpetually injured and was only available a handful of games?

Also the guy the staff wasn't going to bring back under any circumstance?

You are the one glossing over details. If Ford was still the coach Parker would be another miss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Not to put too much stock into social media, but Walsh definitely seems interested in SLU based on Twitter. And I believe Schertz recruited him at ISU.  He and the Smajcic (sp?) kid at Vianney seem like good fits for Schertz’s system. 

Walsh wants to be a Billiken. FULL STOP.

cgeldmacher likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Well when players work-study there were probably not many international student athletes.  The Federal Government laws have no reason to care about the NCAA

Yeah, agree. 
 

Just saying that the inverse (NCAA respecting Federal laws) has decidedly not always been the case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

Yeah, agree. 
 

Just saying that the inverse (NCAA respecting Federal laws) has decidedly not always been the case. 

There are plenty of work arounds to the student visa issue in NIL. They can get paid for events done in their home country. They can get paid for any sort of work done while on a foreign MTE or offseason trip. They can get earn passive income from merchandise sales. Its more a timing issue than anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JMM28 said:

There are plenty of work arounds to the student visa issue in NIL. They can get paid for events done in their home country. They can get paid for any sort of work done while on a foreign MTE or offseason trip. They can get earn passive income from merchandise sales. Its more a timing issue than anything. 

If someone violates the terms of their visa, pretty easy for the Feds to get them deported. Not a great area to push the boundaries if you are the player.

cheeseman and Zink like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If someone violates the terms of their visa, pretty easy for the Feds to get them deported. Not a great area to push the boundaries if you are the player.

Nothing I listed is a violation of their visa terms. Their visa only applies when they are physically in the United States of America. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

There are plenty of work arounds to the student visa issue in NIL. They can get paid for events done in their home country. They can get paid for any sort of work done while on a foreign MTE or offseason trip. They can get earn passive income from merchandise sales. Its more a timing issue than anything. 

They can even get paid for the use of their name, image and likeness back home during the season.  Just the whole transaction needs to take place in the other country. Say a kid from Australia is getting paid by an Australian company for the use of his NIL back home and the check is deposited in the kid’s Australian bank account, that wouldn’t violate his visa.  He just can’t be doing work in the US for that money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...