2024-25 Roster

7 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I heard some sports talk show hosts talking about how 85% of all the money raised at MO will go to football and the remaining 15% will get divided between all the other sports including men's basketball.  They were suggesting that Gates should be looking to move on.  It got me thinking that if this is the trend at all big-time football schools then I could see that Men's BB coaches may not want to be at a big football school because eventually their sport will be starved.  So, what is their alternative - go to a non-big football school and those are basically the Big East or mid majors who spend on basketball.  A school like SLU could end up being an attractive place to be because ultimately, the big salaries coaches are getting now will have to be decreased.  I am not saying this will happen next year but systemic changes usually take a bit of time to kick in but kick in they do.

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The 85/15 split already exists.  And for good reason, the football expenses are that much higher.  There are 85 scholarship players in football. 

Boosting the overall athletic budget will increase their basketball budget accordingly.

Alabama and Clemson were just in the Final 4. I assumed they had so much football NIL $ it was also boosting MBB. 15% is probably more than enough to raid the portal every year 

ACE likes this

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Alabama and Clemson were just in the Final 4. I assumed they had so much football NIL $ it was also boosting MBB. 15% is probably more than enough to raid the portal every year 

Yep, more than enough $ to raid most non P6 players. I liked it better 20 years ago, when many of these football factory schools in the south kinda sucked in hoops and treated it as an after thought. Now  many of them have more money than they know what to do with so they throw it around on coaches and now players in the NIL era.

14 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I believe the hosts were saying that the 85% is not happening now but will so how things are this moment is not indicative of what it will be once this happens.  So, trying to equate what just happened to what they are saying is irrelevant.

13 hours ago, ACE said:

Yep, more than enough $ to raid most non P6 players. I liked it better 20 years ago, when many of these football factory schools in the south kinda sucked in hoops and treated it as an after thought. Now  many of them have more money than they know what to do with so they throw it around on coaches and now players in the NIL era.

Football will never have enough money - it is like a multi billionaire - what is it they want another billion

Lord Elrond likes this

Question- Is entry into the transfer portal now officially closed? Or does it happen sometime today? I’ve heard May 1st, but not sure if that means at midnight last night it closed, or if it’s sometime today.

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Question- Is entry into the transfer portal now officially closed? Or does it happen sometime today? I’ve heard May 1st, but not sure if that means at midnight last night it closed, or if it’s sometime today.

11:59 tonight

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

You'll hear new names over the next few days, but the player has until EOD to get paperwork in. 

36 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Well I was a Ford supporter who got on the dump Ford train late.  One thing I disliked about Ford was his apparent dislike for playing 2 Bigs at the same time.  I think that ends with Schertz.

I see a lineup of Avila, Swope, Jimerson, Casey or Anya, &  Dotzler/Hughes/or PG or CG still to be signed.  And would love to see Swope and Jimerson pushed hard this Summer by players hungry for playing time.

Needless to say, looks like this team will have a very solid, competitive and sizable rotation this season.  Summer workouts should be viciously competitive. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

Patton visited a few weeks ago. Yes, he would be a walk-on. Good to have some clarity on walk-ons so early, with all 4 from last year entering the portal.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Patton visited a few weeks ago. Yes, he would be a walk-on. Good to have some clarity on walk-ons so early, with all 4 from last year entering the portal.

Patton's dad was a prolific D1 3-point shooter...

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/chicago-bulls/bulls-news/chicago-bulls-hire-familiar-player-development-coach-peter-patton/486236/?amp=1

Pistol likes this

Peter Patton played for Depaul the last 4 years of Joey Meyer on those Tom Kleinschmidt teams. Excellent shooter but otherwise backup level guard. Sr year was the disastrous Joey Meyer final season.

4 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

In what world is 2 days really old? 😅🫠

Well typically when we get a commitment it is posted within minutes of the tweet going out, so in that sense 2 days is an eternity.  😅

2024 Billikens update with Kobe Johnson: 2 scholarships open. 

Gibson Jimerson 6’5” Sr, 215, Guard Wing, 36 Min, 16 Pts, 2.9 RB, 3Pt% 36, FT% 86, 2.1 Asst, .66 Stls, Billikens-A10

Robbie Avila 6’10”240 Jr, Center, 31 Min, 17 Pts, 7 RB, 3Pt% 39m FT% 81, 4.1 Asst, .67 Stls, Indiana State– Missouri Valley,
Shertz: Makes everyone around him better.

Isaiah Swope 5’10” 170, SR, Guard, 33 Min, 16 Pts, 3 RB, 3Pt% 36, FT% 74, 2.1 Asst, 1.3 Stls, Indiana State, Schertz His quickness and shooting are at elite levels and is one of the best scorers in all of college basketball.  

Larry Hughes II 6’4” 185 Jr, Guard, 23 Min, 7 Pts, 2.7 RB, 3 Pt% 35, FT% 77, 1.5 Asst, Billikens

Kellen Thames 6’5” 205, SO, Guard, 19 Min, 6 Pts, 3.7 RB, 3 Pt% 36, FT% 55, .8 Asst, .9 Stls, 1.2 Stls, Billikens

Josiah Dotzler 6’3” 185, SO, Guard, 4Min, 1 Pts, 0 RB, 3Pt% 18, FT% 60, .2 Asst, .3 Stls, Creighton – Big East, Schertz: I recruited him out of high school.

A J Casey 6’9” 221, JR, Forward, 9 Min, 2 Pts, 2 RB, 3Pt% 0, FT% 59, .3 Asst, .1 Stls, Miami – ACC,
Schertz: Can play with a big and operate as small ball 5. Defensively can guard 1-5.

Kalu Anya 6’8” 215, JR, Forward, 27 Min, 9.6 Pts, 7.4 RB, 3Pt% 27, FT% 51, 1.7 Asst, 1.2 Stls, Brown-Ivy League, Schertz: Can guard 1-5.

Kobe Johnson 6’3”, SR, Guard, 26 Min 6 Pts, 2 RB, 3pt% 28, FT% 79, 2.2 Asst, .55 Stls, West Virginia

Freshman:

Max Pikaar 6’11” 205, FR, Power Forward, Double/Double, 3Pt% 40, FT% ?  Netherlands - Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) Schertz – Can handle, pass and shoot at the highest levels Defensively can guard 1 – 4.

Amari McCottry 6’6” 180, FR, Guard Wing, 22 Pts, 9 RB, St. Thomas More, 247 3*,
 Schertz: His size, skill and explosiveness are all at the very highest level.

My Way Too Early Projected Starting Line-UP:
G: Isaiah Swope (5 star lock 🔐  to start)
G: Gibson Jimerson (5 🌟 🔐)
G: Kobe Johnson (Others who could compete for this starting spot include Josiah Dotzler, Larry Hughes II, Kellan Thames, and Amari McCottry)
F: Kalu Anya vs AJ Casey (I'm leaning to Kalu Anya here)
C : Robbie Avila (5 🌟 🔐)
** 5 star locks to start assume no injuries

Thoughts? Am I way off base?

4 hours ago, almaman said:

this is Coach's summer gift to MBMs things to do; project states, MPG PPG. first time in a while we could have 5 on 5 s with all players of starter caliber

Let’s just hope they have few open practices. I would let only season ticket holders in for the first one and treat them to an entertaining evening. Let them know they matter. Make it festive. Bring in some legends to push NIL and talk old times. Have a dunk contest. Give us a proper introduction to the team. Let them talk. Let’s hear from Schertz. Play some ball and build on the excitement. 2nd one is for everyone. Hopefully, we continue to see the momentum grow as 2000 people show up to see what this SLU basketball team is all about. Is that number possible? Are 7000 season ticket holders within reach next year? Will there be an immediate impact or will people wait and see?