Frank & Slaten have the same dumb ideas that Pistol outlined. 

Their personalities are not at all the same.  Frank tries to come off as a nice guy.  Slaten is a blowhard who tries to come off as a tough guy.  Their personalities are largely irrelevant to this conversation on their bad ideas for SLU basketball.

Pistol likes this

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, apparently the Ahearn lobbyists are extremely powerful. We even had someone on this board convinced that he was likely going to get the job. They must have been working people all around town.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

In fairness, apparently the Ahearn lobbyists are extremely powerful. We even had someone on this board convinced that he was likely going to get the job. They must have been working people all around town.

Within a small circle (that happens to include a few local media figures), they are.

But in a larger, more relevant way, they aren't powerful at all. SLU and its boosters ignored them and pursued the candidate(s) they wanted.

I can’t wait for 48 hours from now when we can actually look forward to SLU’s new coach and all the possibilities he brings, and not debate AM radio hosts and their feelings towards the Billikens. The last 3 weeks have felt like an eternity. 

TheDude likes this

Just now, wgstl said:

I just found out who Slaten was for the first time 2 weeks ago, and im glad I went as long as I did. 

If you think he is bad now you should have heard him 20 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I just found out who Slaten was for the first time 2 weeks ago, and im glad I went as long as I did. 

You missed nothing, you had a happier life without knowing who he is.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Because it doesn’t really matter. If someone wants to pay $4 million, cool. We just made 2 ncaa tournaments without doing a damn thing. USC wants Muss, Arkansas isn’t going to go after Schertz. We’re still probably 4-5 days away from Arkansas zeroing in and whatever school they pillage entering the conversation. With every win the price tag on their players goes up and the more likely Schertz can’t keep this team together at ISU. 

It does matter - fans want to win and getting the buyout money is not that important. 

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I’m jealous. I don’t know how relevant he ever was, but I hear his name once every few years and always have the same reaction of “he’s still on the radio?”

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Within a small circle (that happens to include a few local media figures), they are.

But in a larger, more relevant way, they aren't powerful at all. SLU and its boosters ignored them and pursued the candidate(s) they wanted.

I didn't mean to suggest they were "powerful" as in going to be effective or even get close to making it happen, just that they were able to at least interject his name into the conversation. It wasn't just media friends, we had some on this board taking it seriously.

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

It does matter - fans want to win and getting the buyout money is not that important. 

More buyout money means likely more wins.  

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

More buyout money means likely more wins.  

Not at all - I bet the 4 million goes back to the big donors who are paying Ford off.  Now you have to enter the coaching search again with a smaller pool of viable candidates who now have you over the barrel. 

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Except the last decade of SLU BB irrelevance he's great!

Good stuff DOC keep regaling us with your wisdom.

Fellow blowhard to the rescue. Sweet of you. 

18 minutes ago, DOC said:

Fellow blowhard to the rescue. Sweet of you. 

You whined about people complaining during one of the lowest eras in SLU basketball history- The Travis Ford Era.  Now that things are looking up for the first time in at least five years, all you can do is complain??  Hmmmmm. Suspicious. Very suspicious. 

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You whined about people complaining during one of the lowest eras in SLU basketball history- The Travis Ford Era.  Now that things are looking up for the first time in at least five years, all you can do is complain??  Hmmmmm. Suspicious. Very suspicious. 

Can you read? I was speaking to those who constantly whine about May. With things looking up I think it’s time they quit whining. And I was never critical of anyone raging against Ford. I just thought repeating yourself about it all day was childish. Get it?

AGB91 and Billiken Rich like this

5 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

I can’t wait for 48 hours from now when we can actually look forward to SLU’s new coach and all the possibilities he brings, and not debate AM radio hosts and their feelings towards the Billikens. The last 3 weeks have felt like an eternity. 

Let’s have a separate thread about local media, so I can pass it by. I’m more concerned about what happens if Schertz says thanks but no thanks. Then who? 

Billikitty7 likes this

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Let’s have a separate thread about local media, so I can pass it by. I’m more concerned about what happens if Schertz says thanks but no thanks. Then who? 

Floyd Irons with assistant coaches Blake Ahearn and Frank Cussamano. Kevin Slaten Director of Basketball operations. 

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Floyd Irons with assistant coaches Blake Ahearn and Frank Cussamano. Kevin Slaten Director of Basketball operations. 

😂 At least half the board loses their minds if that happens. Including me!

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Mike Brey is out there

Samford Coach Bucky

Colgate coach Langel

Moser's seat heated up

Morehead St coach Spradlin

SDSU coach

Interim year of Romar and the Porters?

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Frank and Slaten both slobbered over Ahearn. They are comparable. 

yep, men, white, on radio.

differences one is a big dIck in most peoples eyes. Slate never would be allowed on tv for the masses.

8 hours ago, DOC said:

Save it. You've repeatedly trashed the guy and called for his firing. When someone listed the success the athletic program has enjoyed under May you were the one who said May was a douchbag and could not be judged by anything but the Ford buyout and the buyout set us back forever and May should be fired for it. Turns out the buyout was a moot point. The guy who agreed to the extension came in and paid it, paid the new coach and funded the money to bring his players. If May pulls this off you haters need to stfu for a while.

If you bungle 10 projects at your job and do well on one does your company retain you?

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Fist fights would break out amongst the coaching staff before the first whistle blows. Then Slaten would sucker punch a cheerleader on his way out.

Billikenbooster likes this

22 minutes ago, almaman said:

yep, men, white, on radio.

differences one is a big dIck in most peoples eyes. Slate never would be allowed on tv for the masses.

Lol you do realize Slaten has been the sports director at two tv stations in town for multiple years.