17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

No way could they keep Payne.  His team was terrible, it was surprising that he coached this season.  

Once you lose the faith of fans and boosters you're done. It's hard coming back.  I think Cal at UK has lost it.  Louisville better hope UK doesn't let him go right now because they'll have even more competition and pressure on this hire.

Is this not the age of NIL, where you build a team by paying players? How is money spent paying more for coaches and more for buyouts to make coaches under contract go away an effective use of your money? Seems to me like the problem is boosters used to the old ways of “it’s all about the coach and how he recruits” instead of adjusting to the new NIL reality. Just 2 years ago they went through the hiring process and found a guy, and in 2 years he either became a total idiot, or Louisville has no idea of how to select a new coach, OR, more likely outcome, they need to spend more in NIL. Schools need to spend less on coaches and buyouts, and figure out how to get more money funneled into NIL. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not wish to offend anyone, but after having read the discussion going on I do not feel certain we will get Schertz. I am also quite concerned that May is well on the way to blow this recruitment. However, I can think of something good coming  from May blowing Schertz recruitment and having no backup plan. I think that May could gain a pink slip andd be let go if he blows this recruitment.

8 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not wish to offend anyone, but after having read the discussion going on I do not feel certain we will get Schertz. I am also quite concerned that May is well on the way to blow this recruitment. However, I can think of something good coming  from May blowing Schertz recruitment and having no backup plan. I think that May could gain a pink slip andd be let go if he blows this recruitment.

Dude pay attention. If this goes sideways it’s because someone threw a bag at Schertz. Every source is confident Schertz is the guy and there’s a signed agreement/contract in place. May isn’t screwing this up because he’s not calling the shots. I’m saying that, me. If I’m absolving May of any wrongdoing, probably listen. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Is this not the age of NIL, where you build a team by paying players? How is money spent paying more for coaches and more for buyouts to make coaches under contract go away an effective use of your money? Seems to me like the problem is boosters used to the old ways of “it’s all about the coach and how he recruits” instead of adjusting to the new NIL reality. Just 2 years ago they went through the hiring process and found a guy, and in 2 years he either became a total idiot, or Louisville has no idea of how to select a new coach, OR, more likely outcome, they need to spend more in NIL. Schools need to spend less on coaches and buyouts, and figure out how to get more money funneled into NIL. 

Other ACC schools have NIL money. So you have to have NIL money and an effective coach.

I'm not certain but I bet Louisville has more NIL money than Chattanooga, DePaul, and Arkansas St. All bad losses. The previous season was even worse they started 0-9.  Just historically bad.

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He tweeted this same yesterday, right before he admitted on spaces he had no clue SLU was serious with Schertz. 

And shortly before saying Will Wade wasn't proven enough for the Lville job. 

37 minutes ago, Old guy said:

please tell us what he should have done differently?   also you do know he has been continuing reaching out to candidates correct?   it is my understanding rico greer met with AD May this past weekend.  

gabriel likes this

46 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

How about this for an idea....Pooled money

Give a coach a chunk of money...say $4 million and tell him $1 million is yours...the other cash is for you to spend  on NIL...anything left over is yours...IF you make the Big Dance. If you don't, then the money comes back to whoever paid it...boosters, school etc.

You can fiddle with the numbers and make them come out however you like but the answer is to  let the Coach decide on his salary and how much he pays the players. A couple of losing seasons and it means he made some poor decisions and not just coaching decisions but money management ones and would probably be gone.

I think this is  where things are headed in the future. 

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

How about this for an idea....Pooled money

Give a coach a chunk of money...say $4 million and tell him $1 million is yours...the other cash is for you to spend  on NIL...anything left over is yours...IF you make the Big Dance. If you don't, then the money comes back to whoever paid it...boosters, school etc.

You can fiddle with the numbers and make them come out however you like but the answer is to  let the Coach decide on his salary and how much he pays the players. A couple of losing seasons and it means he made some poor decisions and not just coaching decisions but money management ones and would probably be gone.

I think this is  where things are headed in the future. 

Unless they have changed the rules this currently would be illegal. Schools can not directly give money to the players. 

cgeldmacher likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I would be okay with ISU losing tonight so Schertz could get started on the portal, but I am having a harder and harder time buying the Schertz to Louisville talk.  Starting to feel to me more like SLU is getting played by an agent to get his client a raise before he even starts the job.  It will probably work.  If Schertz thought there was any chance he was going to be Louisville's coach next season, there is no way in hell he says what he said to Bob Valvano.

Then again, what do I know.   Stress I don't need today.

54 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am not sure he is not coming or is coming but I have said along that the longer this plays out the less chance we get him.  I hope SLU has a backup plan and are working on it.  I say SLU because I really don't think they are letting May run this show this time.

Pressure would be on from the start at Louisville… is he confident that bringing a couple of his guys from ISU, and adding a few in the portal, would get him to the dance year one?  If not, pressure starts building. 

At SLU, bringing a few of his players, keeping a few of the current roster, and adding a couple from the portal could have him contending in the A10 immediately.  And as long as there’s obvious improvement, no fan or booster pressure. 

So he needs to ask himself, if they’re each paying me $2mil, which job would I rather take next?  If he fails at Louisville, he’s back at MVC level or worse in 3-4 years. If he succeeds at SLU, he moves on to a bigger program that isn’t currently the laughing stock of P5 programs.   Obviously the potential at Louisville is greater because of conference, history, etc, but so is the pressure.  For the same money, I’d go to SLU, win a few conference titles, and see what kind of offers come in the future. 

Hopefully he’s still committed to us and not even seriously considering it.  But damn, do I want ISU to lose so we know one way or another. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

What did he say?

Trilly Donovan — Today at 12:08 PM
Louisville reportedly offering Schertz $3.5M. Contract at SLU reportedly at or just above $2M/6 years.

Trilly Donovan — Today at 11:31 AM
Schertz signed with SLU which makes it very difficult for him to get out of this.
Whether he wants to or is trying to is up in the air. I believe Louisville lawyers are trying to find a way for him to get out of it.

I don’t think the UL fan base is gonna be overjoyed if Schertz gets hired. No dance invites. Yes he can coach and has some good players. But are they ACC level players? After Crum, UL had Pitino and Mack both proven major D1 coaches. I’ve been to two games at old Freedom Hall and UL fans are fanatics. The last game was in 2000 and the Bills trounced them. They were screaming for Crum’s head one of their most successful coaches. I just don’t think they’re gonna see Schertz as a guy who’s gonna restore their once glorious past. 

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Unless they have changed the rules this currently would be illegal. Schools can not directly give money to the players. 

Not sure how the money will flow...but things will change. Just think back a year or 2 ago and how difficult it was to transfer...In the next few months  anybody will be able to transfer at anytime to anywhere..

Pooled money....this too will change

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

Trilly Donovan — Today at 12:08 PM
Louisville reportedly offering Schertz $3.5M. Contract at SLU reportedly at or just above $2M/6 years.

Trilly Donovan — Today at 11:31 AM
Schertz signed with SLU which makes it very difficult for him to get out of this.
Whether he wants to or is trying to is up in the air. I believe Louisville lawyers are trying to find a way for him to get out of it.

Lol last thing Louisville needs is another scandal.