SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Who is the best reasonable candidate?

Is it Wade?  What he did this year is pretty amazing. He's 18-8 in 2 years coaching in the A10, though he did take over a good team.

Schertz took an Indiana State team that hasn't done anything in 23 years to being ranked in year 3.

McCollum has won non-stop in state at DII.

Brey was a fixture in the NCAA tournament for nearly a decade.

C. Martin? Nah

Devries, he did win the MVC Tournament. He won before his son got there too.

Wade would be an amazing hire. Not sure if it’s even a possibility. 

SLU-Geo likes this

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I really think May 1st is too late.  Heck that is 6 weeks out and all the good dominos will be falling in the next 2-3 weeks.  This timeline is exactly what I was afraid of - the school or whoever is in charge (May) is planning to slow walk it.  Coaches will drop their names out of consideration if they have to sit around and wait this long - other schools will take the some of our targets way.  Nero fiddles while Rome burns.  Big mistake!!! 

Slufan13’s post was satire as he was making fun of courtside’s inside info by posting a lot of  his own “info” that isn’t really insightful and has predictions that are nearly impossible to be wrong. For example, using a date of May 1 it’s impossible to be wrong. He wasn’t actually predicting it would take that long to hire a coach.

slufan13 likes this

Hire Dan Monson.  Why not?

He started Gonzaga on it's upward path.

He 'developed' Traore.  That's what we want, right, a coach who can develop big's?

He got fired, kept coaching, and now is dancing.  Who's resume can top that?

He was making a reported $300,000.   Give him a 100% raise up to $600,000 or heck, splurge up to $750,000.   Millions (plural) left for NIL?

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Right now, the job belongs to Ahearn (that's not what I want) but it came directly from an insider.

See I heard he and Frank are using SLU to get more money from Louisville but that Pestello flew out to Memphis last night to give him one final sales pitch 

ACE likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hire Dan Monson.  Why not?

He started Gonzaga on it's upward path.

He 'developed' Traore.  That's what we want, right, a coach who can develop big's?

He got fired, kept coaching, and now is dancing.  Who's resume can top that?

He was making a reported $300,000.   Give him a 100% raise up to $600,000 or heck, splurge up to $750,000.   Millions (plural) left for NIL?

i think that is a worthwhile to consider backup plan.   but schertz getting snubbed today will not be on as bright of a spotlight had the sycamores got in the tourney and he had won a couple of games.   the big boy programs will likely ignore him now.   i still say Schertz is plan A

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Comparing Valley Candidates

Schertz   

3 years in D1 with a .586 record in the Valley. 

No tourney apprearances, no tourney wins. 

His D2 record and the Net Rank of 29 are impressive.  

DeVries

6 years in Valley, .703 Valley record,

3 tourney appearances, no wins. 

Will Wade is still the best out there. (Looks like Mack is probably going to Vanderbilt)

22 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Does anyone honestly want that?

FWIW I think Grawer said on Frank’s Show some big hitters were calling on Ahearn’s behalf. A donor who I know pretty well said that is 100% true, college and nba coaches/players have called Chaifetz, Fred and May endorsing Ahearn. He said biggest knock on him internally is no college coaching experience obviously, however current college coaches, who have won multiple national championships, all said that should not be a concern. Heard some local high school coaches agree with that sentiment as well. So maybe we don’t know enough about the guy other than he’s from Stl and wants the job? Sounds like he’s connected, has an excellent reputation and the recruiting piece won’t be an issue….no matter who we hire it’s a gamble. Ford and Crews had a lot of college experience, that worked out great. DeVries would be my 1st choice. However, I really don’t think you go wrong with DeVries or Ahearn. SLU either gets the big fish hire or biggest risk vs reward guy. 

mechee89 likes this

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Someone with an IP address in Des Moines, IA accepted the cookies on slubillikens.com !!!!!!

Anyone else besides me from Des Moines?

16 minutes ago, slu92 said:

FWIW I think Grawer said on Frank’s Show some big hitters were calling on Ahearn’s behalf. A donor who I know pretty well said that is 100% true, college and nba coaches/players have called Chaifetz, Fred and May endorsing Ahearn. He said biggest knock on him internally is no college coaching experience obviously, however current college coaches, who have won multiple national championships, all said that should not be a concern. Heard some local high school coaches agree with that sentiment as well. So maybe we don’t know enough about the guy other than he’s from Stl and wants the job? Sounds like he’s connected, has an excellent reputation and the recruiting piece won’t be an issue….no matter who we hire it’s a gamble. Ford and Crews had a lot of college experience, that worked out great. DeVries would be my 1st choice. However, I really don’t think you go wrong with DeVries or Ahearn. SLU either gets the big fish hire or biggest risk vs reward guy. 

Ahearn would be an interesting hire, for sure. Not among my top choices though.

Why wouldn't all of these pro-Ahearn advocates suggest he first take a job like SIUC to learn the ropes. Coaching a bunch of hero ball dudes in the G-League and NBA doesn't really impress me and doesn't really demonstrate that you can build and maintain a college program. 

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

Doesn't he still.have a show-clause? Might limit his offers this year.

I'd love Will Wade, but I agree with both sentiments (that he'll get bigger offers, and that he'll wait until next year). I'll say he's waiting for Indiana to (finally) dump Mike Woodson. Or maybe if Villanova moves on from Kyle Neptune. 

1 minute ago, Bizziken said:

Ahearn would be an interesting hire, for sure. Not among my top choices though.

Why wouldn't all of these pro-Ahearn advocates suggest he take a job like SIUC first to learn the ropes. Coaching a bunch of hero ball dudes in the G-League and NBA doesn't really impress me and doesn't really demonstrate that you can build and maintain a college program. 

Because they think it's owed to him. It's entitlement...

stmdragons likes this