GDT: SLU v. Richmond

5 minutes ago, Murse15 said:

Curious how the student tickets factor into this. When I was there 2011-2015 you typically had to go in advance as a student to get a ticket for many games. For less in-demand and then basically all 2014-2015 season you could just walk in and flash your ID. In any event, there’s a certain number of tickets allocated for students and it wouldn’t surprise me if they include them in the attendance numbers regardless of whether the students show up or not.

The band numbers also reflect this decline. I remember my first games in 2013/2014 that the student/band section would often be so full that it was like sardines. We were LOUD.

NextYearBill likes this

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if SLU had a decent team that would have been a fun game last night; officials were extremely lax on both ends of the floor and allowed a lot of defense and physical play.

Last night really showed Ezewiro's limitations. At the start of the game he is very tough and gets some nice offensive plays and at least is "there" on defense. He has the worst stamina of any player at any level I've ever seen. I think Big Cozy can last longer on the court than Brad. It has to be some kind of health issue(pure speculation) .. i can't fathom this just being a strength & conditioning thing.

Once Ezewiro is tired and we have to put Zhang in we just absolutely suck on the interior. Parker makes little difference honestly as the guys can shoot with or without him. He just does the same thing Jimerson et al. do. He still can't play defense.

Thames is an incredible athlete but a horrible basketball player. ZERO skills or technique.

Medley is the worst guard we have ever brought to SLU; he is the Brett Jolly of point guards; it's not all on the stat lines. I've never seen a guy get beat off the dribble every. single. time. like he does. Just has to go, head to NAIA young man. If Harris Stowe still played he could maybe play there, would still be getting beaten like a drum off the dribble drive.

Billikens suck. Fire Ford now.

Post article was ridiculous; of course Mooney wants us to keep CTF so he can keep racking up wins. Get ready for Anthony Grant to tell us how great Ford is and how we need to keep him. Haha.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

-I saw on the video board yesterday was the birthday of TJH's father, who it appeared looked to be at the game, I think that could have been announced but okay if not

-TJH scores is 1,000 point and this is not announced? that is gross negligence

-GibJim sets a 3pt record and that is not announced? that is gross incompetence 

-my gosh I hope there are major changes

47 minutes ago, Soderball said:

if SLU had a decent team that would have been a fun game last night; officials were extremely lax on both ends of the floor and allowed a lot of defense and physical play.

Last night really showed Ezewiro's limitations. At the start of the game he is very tough and gets some nice offensive plays and at least is "there" on defense. He has the worst stamina of any player at any level I've ever seen. I think Big Cozy can last longer on the court than Brad. It has to be some kind of health issue(pure speculation) .. i can't fathom this just being a strength & conditioning thing.

Once Ezewiro is tired and we have to put Zhang in we just absolutely suck on the interior. Parker makes little difference honestly as the guys can shoot with or without him. He just does the same thing Jimerson et al. do. He still can't play defense.

Thames is an incredible athlete but a horrible basketball player. ZERO skills or technique.

Medley is the worst guard we have ever brought to SLU; he is the Brett Jolly of point guards; it's not all on the stat lines. I've never seen a guy get beat off the dribble every. single. time. like he does. Just has to go, head to NAIA young man. If Harris Stowe still played he could maybe play there, would still be getting beaten like a drum off the dribble drive.

Post article was ridiculous; of course Mooney wants us to keep CTF so he can keep racking up wins. Get ready for Anthony Grant to tell us how great Ford is and how we need to keep him. Haha.

Agreed on all but absolutely disagree with the medley take. 

28 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I expect Chaifetz to turn into SVU West next week.

Absolutely, there will be a ton of red.  Then, SLU can talk about the best attendance of the year, disregarding the blowout loss.  We should hire Baghdad Bob as a PR consultant.

slufan13 likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I saw on the video board yesterday was the birthday of TJH's father, who it appeared looked to be at the game, I think that could have been announced but okay if not

You would have thought a normal athletic department would hype up a player being three 3's away from breaking the all-time school record. In fact, you would have thought they'd be hyping this up for weeks. Probably a tracker graphic every game. I didn't know this was a thing until yesterday. 

TheA_Bomb and Bizziken like this

33 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

You would have thought a normal athletic department would hype up a player being three 3's away from breaking the all-time school record. In fact, you would have thought they'd be hyping this up for weeks. Probably a tracker graphic every game. I didn't know this was a thing until yesterday. 

At least you got the game day video from the head coach, and know to shop Bommarito for all your car needs!

slufan13 likes this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

I’m with you. I’ve really liked Medley this year. Is he overmatched at times? Definitely. 
This was suppose to be a learning year. 10 minute per game or so and he was thrown into the fire.

I think he will be a valuable member of a god team by his junior year. 

wgstl likes this

4 hours ago, Soderball said:

Others defended Medley and I agree with them.  I'm going to defend Thames.  I think he would be much better on a better team.  He has shown signs of being able to rise up and score jumpers within 15 feet of the basket.  He's a very good rebounder.  I do not think we have seen his full potential yet, and his athleticism just adds to the idea that when he's put in the right situation, he has a very high ceiling.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Others defended Medley and I agree with them.  I'm going to defend Thames.  I think he would be much better on a better team.  He has shown signs of being able to rise up and score jumpers within 15 feet of the basket.  He's a very good rebounder.  I do not think we have seen his full potential yet, and his athleticism just adds to the idea that when he's put in the right situation, he has a very high ceiling.

Thames would have dominated on a Rhoades VCU team.

Its weird to me Thames spent 4(?) years as Pattonsville PG but he looks so uncomfortable with the ball. 

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Thames reminds me of Cory Remekun.   Cory was pretty solid by the end of his time hear.  I think Thames could be more than that.

I can see it a little, the crazy part is it felt like Cory had 3 inches on Thames, not just one.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Yes.

Medley is currently 5th on the SLU Freshman Assists list, having passed Mike McCall.  He is 5 assists behind Goodwin, and 10 behind Kevin Williams.  He has a reasonable chance to finish just behind K. Mitchell who has 2nd.   

I do wish he scored more.

i was really rooting for medley and dlarry might be right, but there is no defending his inconsistency and some of his turnovers.   and honestly i think he is better than meadows.   the two together imo are the worst point guard combo we've had in my fandom.  can medley get better?   sure.  but he sure isnt really contributing this year.  

thames is a tremendous athlete.   unfortunately, as i have said before, this isnt the decathlon.   it's basketball and he makes an awful lot of fundamental and boneheaded mistakes.  i am pretty sure he leads the team in unforced stepping out of bounds.  and some of his fouls are atrocious.   as a second year player, one would think a lot of the fundamental and unforced mistakes he still makes would be over.  granted he sat out the majority of last year, but he sure didnt learn much sitting and observing.   still he could end up being a tremendous player.  shame no one is coaching him up. 

AGB91 and Soderball like this

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was really rooting for medley and dlarry might be right, but there is no defending his inconsistency and some of his turnovers.   and honestly i think he is better than meadows.   the two together imo are the worst point guard combo we've had in my fandom.  can medley get better?   sure.  but he sure isnt really contributing this year.  

thames is a tremendous athlete.   unfortunately, as i have said before, this isnt the decathlon.   it's basketball and he makes an awful lot of fundamental and boneheaded mistakes.  i am pretty sure he leads the team in unforced stepping out of bounds.  and some of his fouls are atrocious.   as a second year player, one would think a lot of the fundamental and unforced mistakes he still makes would be over.  granted he sat out the majority of last year, but he sure didnt learn much sitting and observing.   still he could end up being a tremendous player.  shame no one is coaching him up. 

Wait! Worse than Polk?

5 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

Post game radio show eventually Rammer and Earl brought up these two in game accomplishments before Ford mentioned them during the interview. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

he's too short to play at this level, Roy, and he is no "Pee Wee Leonard" before you bring him up. He just ain't it. I have never seen a guy get beat on the drive like he does. He overplays his man, tries to compensate with dumb fouls, and just doesn't bring the kind of skills or talent needed to overcome his height. We have to get a new PG to compete. Aaron Hines was better than what we have now. Our inside play is marginally better than the Crews-era useless stiffs, our PG play has seriously downgraded from what ole "Temu Bob Knight" brought us.

Agree with you on Thames. I guess a lot of people don't really watch the game and just look at highlights afterward or whatever; but Thames is just constantly getting beat on defense, making dumb fouls and amateur mistakes over and over again. He's someone that theoretically should benefit from coaching. Is he just not absorbing it or does the teacher not know how to teach? Open question there.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Any thoughts of potential upside in relation to any player on this team are quickly dashed when considering individual and team D this season. If the new coach can incorporate current players, great, but if he must start anew, also great. Can’t go much lower than now anyway.

13 minutes ago, Soderball said:

he's too short to play at this level, Roy, and he is no "Pee Wee Leonard" before you bring him up. He just ain't it. I have never seen a guy get beat on the drive like he does. He overplays his man, tries to compensate with dumb fouls, and just doesn't bring the kind of skills or talent needed to overcome his height. We have to get a new PG to compete. Aaron Hines was better than what we have now. Our inside play is marginally better than the Crews-era useless stiffs, our PG play has seriously downgraded from what ole "Temu Bob Knight" brought us.

not sure what the point of your post was in rebuttal to mine.   i said that he and meadows are the worst point guard combo in my fandom (i go back to 1977) so what are you trying to say to rebut my post?

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

not sure what the point of your post was in rebuttal to mine.   i said that he and meadows are the worst point guard combo in my fandom (i go back to 1977) so what are you trying to say to rebut my post?

compounding on why i stated that IMO he's the worst PG we have ever brought here. I don't see potential. We have to scrap and start over at that position.

Meadows is worse.   Maybe he was playing injured but Meadows was a fail especially since he was a one year stop gap.   Meadows was supposed to be eased into the position but ended up being the primary.

But no doubt they were both bad and the primary floor reason for the season wasted imo.