GDT: SLU v. Dayton

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The little engine that could took the #21 ranked team to the brink of defeat woo hoo !

0-10 vs Top 25 opponents, 8th year at SLU, and 8-9 this season.

With fans like MariaReynolds, this program with their resources and recruiting base in a metro of 3 million, is doomed to wallow in mediocrity because a group of ppl want to save up extra pennies on the dollar.

9 hours ago, MariaReynolds said:

This team played their guts out. Down five with under a minute left to the #21 team in the country on their home floor where they virtually never lose.  A handful posters were consistently positive.  And yet many (most?) of the rest were just salivating for a Billiken meltdown - so obvious.  WTF?!?!  Is this not YOUR team?  And a bunch of "regular" posters were pretty silent which one can only assume was because the Billikens weren't getting destroyed.  

The snark from the MBAs every time the Bills made a mistake was disgusting.  There are a lot of us who still support this team. And many of us are the ones the others talk about - the ones writing the big checks. But a lot of us are sick of the MBAs on this board.  If you really hate Travis and the team THAT much, go post on the opponents board.  Let those who support the team enjoy reasonable discussion (at least in GDTs) about the team we love and support regardless of who the coach or AD is. 

Well said Maria.  I was surprised how few posters there were.  When I am the most active poster in any thread you know there is something wrong.

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

Dayton played really bad. I wouldn’t go that far. 

A lot of you know basketball much better than I do. Do any of you give any credit at all to the Billikens D making Dayton look bad for large stretches last night?

18 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

A lot of you know basketball much better than I do. Do any of you give any credit at all to the Billikens D making Dayton look bad for large stretches last night?

Dayton went into that game shooting over 40% from three point range, and shot only 28.6% for that game. Most of the misses were uncontested. Dayton went into that game shooting 80% from the free throw line, and shot only 55% from the free throw line. It did not look like the Billiken defense was the reason for the bad shooting.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thames replaced Zhang at the 5:06 mark with Dayton up 58-47.  This effectively put TJ in the pivot. 

Final score was 70-65.  Just sayin.....

And Holmes went on to score 11 points in those 5 minutes. Thames hit a garbage time shot at the buzzer too, which made it look closer than it was. Bruce did fine against Holmes. 

14 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

And Holmes went on to score 11 points in those 5 minutes. Thames hit a garbage time shot at the buzzer too, which made it look closer than it was. Bruce did fine against Holmes. 

Not saying Zhang didn't do well.  But no Billiken was stopping Holmes in the second half. 

Just saying that the replacement, which was criticized on this board, resulted in us pulling closer.  Pretty obvious if your read the game log.  The key bucket was Brea's 3 at the 0:43 mark.  Parker then misses a 3 followed by a Dalger missed 3.  That was the game right there.

And I assume that Holmes' dunk with 5 sec left wasn't garbage time?  Garbage time begins at what, 4.9 seconds?

cgeldmacher likes this

To all blaming the refs, you apparently don't watch our team. 

SLU defense is terrible. We hack and hold all night because we can't defend straight up. We now have a reputation. The 320th ranked defense in the country is not going to get calls on Dayton's floor. Dayton plays effective defense. Their is a stark contrast between how we play and how they play and the refs are going to call it accordingly.

2 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

The game plan was to let them beat us outside. It worked for most of the game. But towards the end they were scoring down low with ease. 

55 minutes ago, thetorch said:

To all blaming the refs, you apparently don't watch our team. 

SLU defense is terrible. We hack and hold all night because we can't defend straight up. We now have a reputation. The 320th ranked defense in the country is not going to get calls on Dayton's floor. Dayton plays effective defense. Their is a stark contrast between how we play and how they play and the refs are going to call it accordingly.

Correct. Holmes did have two major moving screens, one involved cross checking Thames or Parker in the neck.  But we don’t win with those calls anyway 

12 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

You were on this forum 15+ years ago? You joined 6 years ago this month. Wait...MariaReynolds is Shane Ford...Shane Ford is MariaReynolds...oh my GOD, MariaReynolds is a MAN.

(why can't I add the Ace Ventura plunger GIF?!)

Anything is possible, especially when the user’s handle is the name of Alexander Hamilton’s mistress.  

4 minutes ago, TRN said:

Anything is possible, especially when the user’s handle is the name of Alexander Hamilton’s mistress.  

People who genuinely find this board late in their fandom or as they progress into adulthood is a great thing. We should all welcome new posters with open arms. I have said this 100 times: when you find this board, create a user name and then just lurk for a season or post inconsequential sh*t for awhile. Learn the norms, inside jokes, etc. If you show up one day and start going at long time posters or making big statements you're just going to get run off. Sucks, but that's every forum.

SluSignGuy likes this

14 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Yeah exactly. It’s weird to track people’s posting habits. I used to love being super active in GDTs, until I realized I was missing large chunks of the game by posting. Everyone does it their own way, and I’m certainly not judging how anyone is or isn’t posting. 

I don't think it's crazy to point out the GDTs lose a ton of steam whenever the Bills go on a run or do well lol. It's just how they've been the last couple seasons. Then the other team inevitably goes on their run to win the game and post volume spikes/the (deserved) Ford bashing resumes. 

It is what it is - more people want Ford gone than not (on this board). Which is fair! But now every other post brings some type of strawman about moral victories and people being satisfied with a close loss, which is incredibly tiring. "Oh no, Rammer said we gave a good effort!" The horror! 

53 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

People who genuinely find this board late in their fandom or as they progress into adulthood is a great thing. We should all welcome new posters with open arms. I have said this 100 times: when you find this board, create a user name and then just lurk for a season or post inconsequential sh*t for awhile. Learn the norms, inside jokes, etc. If you show up one day and start going at long time posters or making big statements you're just going to get run off. Sucks, but that's every forum.

I don't doubt new posters and welcome them. Always need more Billiken fans.

Problem: MariaReynolds never posts anything except weaksauce defense of Ford and liking posts that defend Travis Ford, does not post very often at all, and was made only after CTF became the coach here.

Evidence points to this being a UK fan who is following Travis Ford. Never really see any comment about St Louis generally or about the program or program history from this poster. Just Ford, Ford, Ford.

Okay a couple other posts; some nice posts about the Lady Bills(nice) and a comment about hating on Tennessee and liking Kansas. Huh. Go Big Blue?

Oh and there's some defense of Travis' handling of the COVID situation and attacks on the admin when Situation 2 happening.

This is a Kentucky fan bro. This is a wildcat poster.

15 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Problem: MariaReynolds never posts anything except weaksauce defense of Ford and liking posts that defend Travis Ford, does not post very often at all, and was made only after CTF became the coach here.

Evidence points to this being a UK fan who is following Travis Ford. Never really see any comment about St Louis generally or about the program or program history from this poster. Just Ford, Ford, Ford.

Okay a couple other posts; some nice posts about the Lady Bills(nice) and a comment about hating on Tennessee and liking Kansas. Huh. Go Big Blue?

Oh and there's some defense of Travis' handling of the COVID situation and attacks on the admin when Situation 2 happening.

That was kinda my point. If you just show up out of nowhere and start taking hard line stances it is very noticeable. And it doesn’t matter wether you’re genuine or trolling.

15 minutes ago, Soderball said:

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That was kinda my point. If you just show up out of nowhere and start taking hard line stances it is very noticeable. 

So dramatic. People should be allowed to show support for the head coach (for whatever reason) on Billikens.com without it preluding an amateur internet witchhunt. 

If this person has been around for years they are not showing up out of no where? So they might have a connection to Ford - big whoop? 

MB73 likes this