Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

2 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

Please go away.  You are one of the more toxic/disturbed people on here.

He has a bunch of kids - many of them freshman - who likely read this board and definitely read social media that says they suck and their coach sucks.  What do you expect him to do?  Agree?  Of course, he is going to stick up for himself and his guys.  It is also a great rallying cry for the team to prove the haters wrong.

Stop this crap.  Nobody has really dogged out the kids on this team.  In fact the people most critical of Ford have wanted to see those kids play more.  

You’re giving a special ed defense of Ford over an issue that Ford detractors are mostly in agreement over.  Play the damn kids.  They don’t suck.

gobillsgo likes this

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, stmdragons said:

Pretty wild thing to say given how this season has gone. The “people who don’t have anything better to do” are the only ones still showing up to games. 

Lol. He's toast. Go ahead and attack the fans, Travis. Everyone but you. It's all their fault. Story of his career.

gobillsgo and JMM28 like this

8 hours ago, brianstl said:

Stop this crap.  Nobody has really dogged out the kids on this team.  In fact the people most critical of Ford have wanted to see those kids play more.  

You’re giving a special ed defense of Ford over an issue that Ford detractors are mostly in agreement over.  Play the damn kids.  They don’t suck.

Saying the roster is bad or recruiting is down is saying these kids suck.  If you were one of the players on the team, isn't that how you would take it?

My only defense of Ford is for what he said yesterday.  There has been circle jerk of constant negativity from a relatively small amount of posters who say the same thing over and over in almost every thread.  I kind of agree with him that it is a bunch of guys with nothing better to do.

AGB91, billikenbill and MB73 like this

32 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

Saying the roster is bad or recruiting is down is saying these kids suck.  If you were one of the players on the team, isn't that how you would take it?

My only defense of Ford is for what he said yesterday.  There has been circle jerk of constant negativity from a relatively small amount of posters who say the same thing over and over in almost every thread.  I kind of agree with him that it is a bunch of guys with nothing better to do.

You're simplifying the criticism. The issue is that Ford has put these players in the position they are in now. He set up his roster so that he had to bring one or more transfer bigs. He ran off Cisse because he thought he could bring in a more experienced big to replace him. He signed a 2 time transfer big that was going to need a long shot waiver. Because of that he's having TJ play out of position at the 5 and throwing two guys who aren't ready in Bruce and Stef into the fire. The back court has some good players with a LOT of experience. Recruiting is down because he literally lost two recruits in Nolland and Vice.

A circle jerk of negativity? How else are fans supposed to take the results this season? 39 point loss @ a regional rival. 2 of 3 games in Myrtle that weren't competitive. An 18 point choke job in at Drake. There hasn't been much to be positive about. And now you've got a head coach responsible for the results telling fans they don't have anything better to do than live and die with his basketball program. Okay Travis.

And yes there have been injuries, but every team deals with injuries. Tell me why we've had a player tear a knee in 2 straight seasons, a broken foot, whatever LH's injury is. At what point do we look at the head coach and the strength and conditioning. We've had multiple people already question the timeline in which Perkins returned.

18 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

The “18 point choke job at Drake” was simply that a depleted team ran out of gas.  To call it a “choke job” is the type of negativity that Ford is probably referring to.  If I were a player, I certainly wouldn’t be happy reading about how we choked.

That’s an accurate description however it’s a valid criticism of Ford. Every result has to be viewed in the context of his tenure here and losing large leads in the 2nd half is about as textbook as it gets. That’s unfortunate for the guys on this roster. Travis should have apologized to his team for not better managing the roster going into this season, not better managing minutes in a 40 pt blow out. Not go and tell the fans they were out of pocket. Instead of telling the fans they don’t have anything better do than be negative, it’s his job to explain that fans are fans. They live and die with this team, it means they care. The fans are going to say what they say and you have to block it out. He didn’t have to say what he said but chose to anyway. It’s just more of the same arrogant sh!t that May peddles. Fans are unimportant. 

dlarry likes this

In the Post today, Ford said that he has had to dramatically change his approach this year more so than any other year.  He said he likes to run and press but with only 8 healthy players he has had to slow the game down.  Now this actually makes sense except this is what he has done every year here usually because he settles on 8 players even if he has a healthy roster.  The problem is a con only works once or twice with the same people but when you trot out the same old excuses people can see through it - that is where he is at now, we are tired of the same old excuses.  At least have the courtesy to give us a some new excuse.  As an old boss told me once he can accept a foul up by an employee but at least have the decency to blow a different color smoke up his shorts.

@cheeseman: agree.  Ford has blown this smoke for some time now .... always going to uptempo, always going to run-and-gun, always going to press.  And he always resorts to what his 30+ years tell him to do ...... walk it up and play a halfcourt, slow tempo game.  Run a weave, three or four passes, ball to your out-of-place 7-footer at top of th elane, return to point guard, and panic.  This year we do however have three guys (Dalger, Hargrove, Jimerson) willing to take off towards the basket.  Add Parker and it would be four.  

Ford is again playing his coachspeak role to the hilt.  

4 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

To the players. We the fans thank you for coming to SLU. However, the overall roster is not built in a way that leads to winning basketball games. That is the coaches fault not yours. The lacking offensive, defensive schemes, in game adjustments, and substitution patterns are the coaches fault not yours.

To posters tired of all the negativity. I'm sorry. I don't like to be negative. I prefer to cheer on my team. But I want my team to win. It's not winning because of May and Ford so we need to force this change. If you don't like it don't click on the clearly titled thread.

As for having "nothing better to do." Antagonizing the ardent fans, bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how that works out. Another unforced error by Ford.

45 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

To the players. We the fans thank you for coming to SLU. However, the overall roster is not built in a way that leads to winning basketball games. That is the coaches fault not yours. The lacking offensive, defensive schemes, in game adjustments, and substitution patterns are the coaches fault not yours.

To posters tired of all the negativity. I'm sorry. I don't like to be negative. I prefer to cheer on my team. But I want my team to win. It's not winning because of May and Ford so we need to force this change. If you don't like it don't click on the clearly titled thread.

As for having "nothing better to do." Antagonizing the ardent fans, bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how that works out. Another unforced error by Ford.

Such a bitter attitude ..... it's just a game bro.  

Billfan7 likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

To TheA_Bomb I will now leave this thread and let the circle jerk with the other nattering nabobs of negativism continue while the silent majority of Billiken fans realize this will be taken care of after the season by higher powers than a bunch of MBMs.  When it is taken care of by those higher powers, please feel free to take all the credit. 

1 minute ago, Billfan7 said:

To TheA_Bomb I will now leave this thread and let the circle jerk with the other nattering nabobs of negativism continue while the silent majority of Billiken fans realize this will be taken care of after the season by higher powers than a bunch of MBMs.  When it is taken care of by those higher powers, please feel free to take all the credit. 

Settle down, Spiro Agnew. 

7 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

Cool thanks, good talk.

10 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

Thank goodness

But you do notice a change in the rhetoric? Now it's wait until the end of the season and what needs to be done will be done. It's no longer Ford needs time, Ford is unlucky. It's you're insulting the players.

Holding onto a coach if they're done is a recipe to make a bad situation worse.

We need May gone now-ish. New AD hire to be in place to hire new coach in March.

35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

But you do notice a change in the rhetoric? Now it's wait until the end of the season and what needs to be done will be done. It's no longer Ford needs time, Ford is unlucky. It's you're insulting the players.

Holding onto a coach if they're done is a recipe to make a bad situation worse.

We need May gone now-ish. New AD hire to be in place to hire new coach in March.

I keep worrying, though, that all the non-revenue sports continue to do well and improve. Basketball seems to be the only thing floundering, but then again, we've always been a basketball school (with amazing soccer). I think May should go for creating the burnout/toxic work environment that has existed in the AD for around a decade now.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Such a bitter attitude ..... it's just a game bro.  

I guess we shouldn’t care about the outcome of the games then?  The point is to WIN.  

All we get for $2.5M are excuses, blaming fans now, and some of the worse SLU basketball in 4 decades.  But let’s sing kumbaya and give out participation ribbons.  

IMG_8009.jpeg