SluSignGuy

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Hahahah what the hell is this 

Just using my excel skills to illustrate Travis Ford's time at SLU in comparison to a Toyota RAV4. Isn't it clear?

Vermont looked like a good basketball team to me.  We are not a good team but I still thought we showed flashes of potential.  It felt like we were going to lose that one as soon as the score turned 8-3.  

My main takeaway -- Kellen Thames needs more minutes immediately.  

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

So rather than admit you made an emotional exaggerated wrong statement you are now going for the spin.   Got it.   You aren't worth debating.

Anthony Grant. Will Wade. Chris Mack. Frank Martin. Tom Crean. Archie Miller. Bob Huggins. Randy Bennett. Keith Dambrot. Bryce Drew. Fran Dunphy. Steve Alford. Steve Prohm. Ben Jacobson. Porter Moser. Mark Schmidt. Steve Lavin. Russell Turner. Scott Nagy.

Some of these are reaches and I'm sure I'm missing a few guys who are out of coaching at the moment, but just some examples of guys I would 100% take over CTF.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Gibillsgo,  maybe add "over the years" to you wrong statement and I can't challenge it.  Somehow I was not to assume currently.

There are currently dozens of coaches around the country who have routinely done more with less than Ford.  You’ve been around a long time, Roy, you surely realize that we have one of the worst returns on investment in terms of NCAA appearances and wins over the last 8 years. 

Since we’re a Women’s Soccer school, all this hand-wringing about men’s basketball is pointless.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Here it is in a nutshell, coaches, GMs/ADs build assets over the years based on being successful so that when they have a down year they get a pass based on their good performance in past years.  Ford has not built up assets for him to cash in now.  May is kind in the same place given he hired Ford and he has stood by him through all those Non asset building years.  This is why people are frustrated with our current situation.  The bottom line is that coach who waxed us today has won 7 out of 8 I think they said conference titles.  Talk about building assets!  If Ford  had won just half of that he would have plenty of assets to ride this out.  Today you saw him pick up that trash can and almost pulled a Bobby Knight with it but thought better.  He knows he is on a short leash, and we will see more of his frustration throughout the year if this continues.  Apparently some big donors were ready to cut the check but the administration said no - at least that was insinuated by someone.  I just hope those donors were not turned off by the offer being turned down.  Do you feel comfortable with May making the next pick whenever that time comes?

I have never heard that there were donors willing to write the check. I would like a little more substantiation then it was insinuated by someone. Personally don’t believe it. 

34 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

There are currently dozens of coaches around the country who have routinely done more with less than Ford.  You’ve been around a long time, Roy, you surely realize that we have one of the worst returns on investment in terms of NCAA appearances and wins over the last 8 years. 

You could get our boy Brad back.  He surely did more with less.  Of course he had to because he couldn't recruit at all........

14 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You could get our boy Brad back.  He surely did more with less.  Of course he had to because he couldn't recruit at all........

I’m not advocating for Uncle Brad coming back but The NIL era might be where someone like him can excel. 

If he had a nice NIL package and a Corey Tate like assistant I think he could do a very good job.

Unfortunately the Bills are missing the NIL part of that equation.

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

Fords recruiting was good if not great pre NIL. The last 2-3 classes, and the next class looks, meh. You cant even really count Thames and Hughes. 

Isn’t recruiting supposed to be Ford’s strength? With the turnover we have this year it’s silly to think expectations should be as high as last year but the fact that Hargrove has been our starting Center this year is embarrassing. Call me crazy but great recruiters don’t rely on 2 time transfers and a handful of international bigs, all with eligibility issues, to play significant minutes. 

What did you all expect?  We were not going undefeated this year, our team is mediocre at best.  We are going to lose a bunch of games.  If sincere is out for a long time or potentially the rest of the season (just speculation), it could go south in a hurry.  

As for Ford, same sh*t different day, season, players, etc…. It’s a long season, but this might be the hurt that invokes a change.

20 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Isn’t recruiting supposed to be Ford’s strength? With the turnover we have this year it’s silly to think expectations should be as high as last year but the fact that Hargrove has been our starting Center this year is embarrassing. Call me crazy but great recruiters don’t rely on 2 time transfers and a handful of international bigs, all with eligibility issues, to play significant minutes. 

Despite the expectations last year we made neither the NCAA nor even the NIT. We achieved nothing and it was utterly forgettable. He's been here 8 years. It's a farce. CTF does not have it. Fire Ford.

36 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

This. Ford built this. 

I don't think Ford is equipped to recruit in the NIL/portal world.  Maybe he was much better 'in the old days' of high school seniors, Team Blue, taking care of mama's baby, etc., but not now.  Maybe not now.  In his first foray into the new world order, he got Cian Medley (good/great get) and three transfers (from bad schools) with questionable international recruits (two of which have/had eligibility issues).  Adapt.  Evolve.  Or die.  One recruiting class does not a die cast but the signs are not all that good based on Year One.

Folks are talking about Ezewiro being the answer.  Ezewiro was garbage at both LSU and Georgetown.  Just don't see it.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

I don't think Ford is equipped to recruit in the NIL/portal world.  Maybe he was much better 'in the old days' of high school seniors, Team Blue, taking care of mama's baby, etc., but not now.  Maybe not now.  In his first foray into the new world order, he got Cian Medley (good/great get) and three transfers (from bad schools) with questionable international recruits (two of which have/had eligibility issues).  Adapt.  Evolve.  Or die.  One recruiting class does not a die cast but the signs are not all that good based on Year One.

Folks are talking about Ezewiro being the answer.  Ezewiro was garbage at both LSU and Georgetown.  Just don't see it.

garbage is one thing, Better than what we have is another. Brads not an all conf player, but he’s the best center we have and allows others to play their correct position. 

CenHudDude likes this

Maybe.  In Brad's own statement when he signed here, he said he was excited to play "facing the basket" and even "taking threes."  I could be wrong but I just don't see it.  Plus he likely has no mental health issues so getting the waiver for SLU will be a moot point.  Not this year, maybe next year because next year, he will have performed the one-year sit out portion of his third transfer.  I don't see 1.6 ppg at LSU, followed by 4.3 ppg at Georgetown as demonstrating undeniable talent.  But we shall see ..... likely next year.