Justin Tatum

crymdg2

If we can find a niche to help SLU maybe our multiple links to Australia is it. We've had a few players from Australia and NZ. Also multiple players have gone onto their league. An Aussie Assistant. So perhaps they pass on info on possible players to Harriman and we bring in some talent.

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If we can find a niche to help SLU maybe our multiple links to Australia is it. We've had a few players from Australia and NZ. Also multiple players have gone onto their league. An Aussie Assistant. So perhaps they pass on info on possible players to Harriman and we bring in some talent.

oldguyish

TheA_Bomb likes this

10 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

It wasn't too long ago that Justin said he wanted the SLU coaching job after his time in Australia, right? 

I personally would love to see that happen. 

Maybe he brings in his good friend The Legend as an Assistant Coach.

25 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

It wasn't too long ago that Justin said he wanted the SLU coaching job after his time in Australia, right? 

I personally would love to see that happen. 

Best part is we get to see if he can actually coach first without taking a huge risk. Pretty big W for SLU imo

20 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-from his CBC days Coach Tatum is very high strung, things can change, but I'm not sure how that would translate as a new D1 coach to players/recruits/parents/agents/boosters

No idea how that would translate to college but he did a nice job of recruiting to CBC. 

Billiken Rich likes this

i agree with torch and find it hard to believe a fandom that is so intent of becoming more than an annual mid major also run would want to turn to a high school coach to take over their program.   

that said, if tatum goes to australia has success for a few years then comes back and serves his time going through a school's system and earns a shot, then i have no problem with that.   but to just hand him the keys to the car from the jump?   no way.

Tonka likes this

37 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Your disapproval kind of reinforces my belief that he'd be a great coach. 

Your right guys with

--No experience

--Volatile personality

--Poor history with SLU

--Overblown local and recruiting connections

Usually become great hires. I'd rather keep Ford.

SLU pays the highest head coaching salary in the conference. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but if this job opens up, May should be able to attract more proven, and likely better, options. All this is pretty pointless in the near term though, since I severely doubt Ford will be somewhere else next season. 

JMM28 and billiken_roy like this

I'd need to see Tatum work his way up to SLU. Name the last successful first time head coach with zero college coaching experience? Most of the guys that have landed jobs like that are former NBA stars that also spent time coaching in the NBA. 

gabriel likes this

I don't think the plan from anyone is to install Justin as the head coach of the Billikens anytime soon.  Now if we are talking about a position on the staff, that is probably a different story.  Even then, it probably isn't one of the assistant coach positions.  The original plan wasn't even for him to be an assistant coach this season for the Hawks.  He went down there for a scouting job.  The plan isn't for him to be the head coach for the Hawks next season.  The interim tag should make that clear.  If the Novellys had some grand plan to install him as the head coach in a season or two, Jared wouldn't have hung an interim tag on him.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't think the plan from anyone is to install Justin as the head coach of the Billikens anytime soon.  Now if we are talking about a position on the staff, that is probably a different story.  Even then, it probably isn't one of the assistant coach positions.  The original plan wasn't even for him to be an assistant coach this season for the Hawks.  He went down there for a scouting job.  The plan isn't for him to be the head coach for the Hawks next season.  The interim tag should make that clear.  If the Novellys had some grand plan to install him as the head coach in a season or two, Jared wouldn't have hung an interim tag on him.

Let Duke give him a job. Tatum is a Duke name now. No thanks.