GDT: SLU v. Illinois St.

SluSignGuy

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

If he bumped the ref like it's being reported it's a tech. No respectable ref will put up with that bs

The ref 10000000% bumped him. The original tech was SOFT, the second was legit a foul on the ref. It was terrible. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We go as these two guys go. 

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The two guys we rely on to score stopped scoring. 

While Jimerson and Parker might be the most likely to lead in scoring on any given night, we've already seen Hargrove (who currently leads the team in PPG) go off, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Hughes or Dalger have big games. I think it is (and will be) more evenly distributed - and harder for defenders - than just two guys that score.

53 minutes ago, Compton said:

While Jimerson and Parker might be the most likely to lead in scoring on any given night, we've already seen Hargrove (who currently leads the team in PPG) go off, and it wouldn't be surprising to see Hughes or Dalger have big games. I think it is (and will be) more evenly distributed - and harder for defenders - than just two guys that score.

Meadows can go off for 20-30, he has previously.

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Couple of issues/questions where I am requesting your opinion.

1.  Our first three opponents, yes they aren't very good, hit 29% from the Arc.  What is your benchmark, your suggested goal, for our 3-poiint defense?  25%?

2.  Were you at the game?  My first thought on the Poindexter FT where Parker was whistled was, lane violation on ISU.  I couldn't see any lane violation, but what else could it be?.  What was your first thought on the whistle? Then I went to 'flop' on Poindexter.  He went down fairly easily.  I was pretty amazed when, after a few minutes, they called a flagrant on Parker.  There is contact on every FT attempt, both along the lane and whomever is blocking out the shooter.  I don't remember ever seeing a Flagrant call on blocking the shooter.  Watching the TV tape this morning, I can certainly see where there was contact, but it wasn't a flagrant in my book, it was a play on.  And yes, that 6 point play was meaningful.  The first two were in the book, but in my opinion the next four FT were unearned gifts.  If the ball is in our hands, Hughes doesn't get called for the subsequent foul.

Again I am asking your opinion.  Whatever you believe is fine.

While the percentage of opponents’ made 3-pointers may be low, we are still allowing so many wide open looks. When we run into above-average shooting teams, we’re toast. It was the same issue last year. 

I was at the game Saturday. From my view, I didn’t see anything egregious, that Parker did, on that play. I hope he’s not developing a reputation amongst the referees. Stripes often hold grudges. 

HoosierPal likes this

“Excessive, unnecessary or avoidable “

such a vague rule. The amount of contact on that play does not seem to warrant this. Seems like it could be applied to most fouls. Hughes foul for instance on the next play. His reach both unnecessary and avoidable.   IL state could still be at the line!

-I don't recall seeing a defender on a ft  'who has the shooter'  hip check the shooter until it happened Saturday night, the idea of 'having the shooter' is to get in front of them 

-I had been really high on LH2's defense but what he was doing on Saturday was a mystery to me

-not fouling 3pt or jump shooters should be a point of emphasis for our team, why it's not surprises me

-there were so many moving screens 'being set' and no fouls on those was shocking

-won this game but I hope we have enough chances to work on finishing games where we hold or expand our lead

-on to the beach and Wyoming 

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Well, we’re not the only A10 team that can’t hold a big lead. Davidson was up by 20 and having their way w/ Clemson until the roof caved in. They lost by 2. 

I've got no problem with MBMs complaining about losing big leads.  It's a thing.  It wasn't a thing in the years where Isabell and a healthy Perkins were closing out games but it has been since then.  It's common for successful teams to have a player or duo who leads in that endeavor.

Our best player the past two years wasn't a natural closer.  Hopefully, the duo of Parker/Jimerson will settle into that responsibility.  They will get plenty of opportunities.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've got no problem with MBMs complaining about losing big leads.  It's a thing.  It wasn't a thing in the years where Isabell and a healthy Perkins were closing out games but it has been since then.  It's common for successful teams to have a player or duo who leads in that endeavor.

Our best player the past two years wasn't a natural closer.  Hopefully, the duo of Parker/Jimerson will settle into that responsibility.  They will get plenty of opportunities.

Hopefully Meadows can help greatly in this area - can handle, score and shoot free throws at a very high level. Perhaps it's no coincidence that we started coughing up the lead, when he left the game. BTW, anybody have an injury update on Meadows?

56 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agree. And Goodwin wasn’t good at it either, nor is Jimerson to this point. I do believe Parker has it in him. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, DOC said:

Agree. And Goodwin wasn’t good at it either, nor is Jimerson to this point. I do believe Parker has it in him. 

it appears to me parker is a scorer.   i really dont want him shooting outside (i think his shot looks horrible) but he gets to the lane and he either does the fade away which he nails more times than not, or he goes to the rim and finishes more times than not.  on offense he is the real deal imo. 

now defense, well that's a work in progress.   however, he is miles ahead of last year defensively.   i think he just takes possessions off once in awhile.   there is no reason he isnt a better consistent defender.

2 hours ago, DOC said:

In my four years as a student, we didn't ever have a problem getting scoring late. We had Larry Hughes, Justin Love, Justin Love, and Mo Jeffers in those 4 years that would handle that roll. If anything, our closing problems then amounted to getting stops.

But it does seem to be an issue getting late points ever since Jett graduated.

3 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

In my four years as a student, we didn't ever have a problem getting scoring late. We had Larry Hughes, Justin Love, Justin Love, and Mo Jeffers in those 4 years that would handle that roll. If anything, our closing problems then amounted to getting stops.

But it does seem to be an issue getting late points ever since Jett graduated.

Or maybe since Perk got injured.

almaman likes this

That's 'hero ball' ---- one of the very staples of the Ford attack scheme since he got here.  Bess.  Isabell.  Perkins.  Collins.  Of the four, only Collins wasn't a finisher.  I suspect that this season we will see that evolve into a Parker role because there is no one else in the mold described above to take it over.  Jimerson is not a creator.  Meadows is an unknown.  The only other guy who might THINK this way is Hughes.  But Larry is a jump shooter and not a to-the-basket guy.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

That's 'hero ball' ---- one of the very staples of the Ford attack scheme since he got here.  Bess.  Isabell.  Perkins.  Collins.  Of the four, only Collins wasn't a finisher.  I suspect that this season we will see that evolve into a Parker role because there is no one else in the mold described above to take it over.  Jimerson is not a creator.  Meadows is an unknown.  The only other guy who might THINK this way is Hughes.  But Larry is a jump shooter and not a to-the-basket guy.

It doesn't have to be hero ball.  It becomes hero ball because the overwhelming majority of players are not good passers in today's game.  A fundamentally sound big man who can pass out of the post is like a unicorn.  

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Yet

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It doesn't have to be hero ball.  It becomes hero ball because the overwhelming majority of players are not good passers in today's game.  A fundamentally sound big man who can pass out of the post is like a unicorn.  

Bruce is sprouting a horn growing on top of his head…