GDT - Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree but even more than a good x's and o's coach, the players got to execute.   how many times did we fumble away fast break opportunities last night?   even then, i just enjoyed the fact we were using our smaller size and greater quickness to try to play faster.   now we just have to minimize the mistakes.  and before someone qoutes turnover stats (i honestly dont know what our turnovers were last night.  i am sure they were double digits) a mistake can be something that doesnt show up in the box score.   hesitating to double on defense, not using a screen correctly, not getting out to cover a three point shot, not blocking out on rebounds which lets the taller opponent a chance to get the rebound, etc.  

The turnovers were 13 in 74 possessions, so not bad although 9 of them were KW steals.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, gabriel said:

Not saying that this team will be, but you can be very successful in college basketball without a traditional 5. Takes a really good X's and O's coach which this team doesn't have but it's not impossible. 

That is my opinion as well. I think if Ezewiro does not hear favorable news, the best path forward would likely be going the route of fully embracing playing small. Obviously use the freshmen bigs in spots and matchups where needed, but I think if we are down to freshmen bigs, our best lineup might be playing small and committing to a style that emphasizes those attributes. Forcing significant minutes and roles on freshmen bigs might not be worth it in my opinion (again, give them minutes, but play the bulk of the game without them). Now, that requires committing to playing a style that pushes tempo, looks to force TOs, limits TOs on offense, relies heavily on taking and making 3s, etc. which we have not really seen here under Ford. But, that would be my approach and it would at least be entertaining as heck to watch. This is all based on having no knowledge of the freshmen bigs which certainly is a big piece to this discussion haha. Just my thoughts. If we get Ezewiro, none of these posts matter, so lets hope for that!

gabriel likes this

52 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is my opinion as well. I think if Ezewiro does not hear favorable news, the best path forward would likely be going the route of fully embracing playing small. Obviously use the freshman bigs in spots and matchups where needed, but I think if we are down to freshmen bigs, our best lineup might be playing small and committing to a style that emphasizes those attributes. Forcing significant minutes and roles on freshmen bigs might not be worth it in my opinion (again, give them minutes, but play the bulk of the game without them). Now, that requires committing to playing a style that pushes tempo, looks to force TOs, limits TOs on offense, relies heavily on taking and making 3s, etc. which we have not really seen here under Ford. But, that would be my approach and it would at least be entertaining as heck to watch. This is all based on having no knowledge of the freshmen bigs which certainly is a big piece to this discussion haha. Just my thoughts. If we get Ezewiro, none of these posts matter, so lets hope for that!

It might be fun to watch, but THJ would be beat up bad by the end of the season.

56 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

It might be fun to watch, but THJ would be beat up bad by the end of the season.

That is certainly a valid concern. Again, there is a lot to weigh with regards to lineups and style of play if we do not have Ezewiro and I think you can argue it many ways.

3 hours ago, gabriel said:

Not saying that this team will be, but you can be very successful in college basketball without a traditional 5. Takes a really good X's and O's coach which this team doesn't have but it's not impossible. 

You need the personnel, i.e big guards who can really defend.  We're lucky just to have bug guards that can score.  Big guards who can do both are in short supply at the mid- major level.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is my opinion as well. I think if Ezewiro does not hear favorable news, the best path forward would likely be going the route of fully embracing playing small. Obviously use the freshmen bigs in spots and matchups where needed, but I think if we are down to freshmen bigs, our best lineup might be playing small and committing to a style that emphasizes those attributes. Forcing significant minutes and roles on freshmen bigs might not be worth it in my opinion (again, give them minutes, but play the bulk of the game without them). Now, that requires committing to playing a style that pushes tempo, looks to force TOs, limits TOs on offense, relies heavily on taking and making 3s, etc. which we have not really seen here under Ford. But, that would be my approach and it would at least be entertaining as heck to watch. This is all based on having no knowledge of the freshmen bigs which certainly is a big piece to this discussion haha. Just my thoughts. If we get Ezewiro, none of these posts matter, so lets hope for that!

You can commit to a style of play all you want.  If you have a team full of mediocre defenders you just have guys getting exposed in pressing and trapping situations rather than in the half court.  Against good offensive teams, it turns into a layup drill.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

You can commit to a style of play all you want.  If you have a team full of mediocre defenders you just have guys getting exposed in pressing and trapping situations rather than in the half court.  Against good offensive teams, it turns into a layup drill.

I get that. I think sometimes you have to accept your limitations and figure out how you can maximize your strengths. That likely doesn’t result in a national championship (at some point it will catch up to you), you can win a lot of games with an elite offense.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you got to question why ford never allowed the wing or point guard defender to double down on the D2 Big that was playing the part of the 5th grade bully just backing down hargrove.   both medley and hughes are quick enough to double and get back out to get a hand in the face of that point guard or wing the center would have been forced to pass out to.  

a friend of mine asked, "was ford just testing hargrove to see how he handled things?"   i dont know but if that is what ford was doing, it was a fail. 

Several comments on this thread were that out three point defense was not good.  It's a pick your poison situation.  Look bad guarding a big on the other team with 6'4" Hargrove alone, or look bad at defending the three when you double that guy.  This won't be as much of a problem when our bigs get to be on the floor.

-#1-it was an exhibition game and we were HOPEFULLY TEMPORARILY without several key players

-the ball went up for the opening tip and 5 seconds later a whistle to stop play as the clock didn’t start, for those with superstitions is this a good sign? refs control the clock is what I've been told

-perhaps the press was a conditioning drill as it was not well organized and nothing came from it - see #1

-if we have no bigs we are in trouble, deep, deep trouble - see #1

-it was cold in the building, wow

-CFord was fired up and probably a dozen times got out the hook

-Brad was very engaged on the bench

-I don’t recall that we were called for a moving screen

-a D2 team scored 75 on us

-there were multiple groups of cheerleaders roaming the concourse selling 50/50 as well as the normal table by one of the entrance/exit points

-CFord built the roster, which might be good or might suck, and has been practicing with those guys (when they are healthy) since the summer, to adopt a different style of play now doesn’t seem like a positive

-let's see what Sunday brings and hopefully before that good news from the NCAA

billikenbill likes this

17 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-#1-it was an exhibition game and we were HOPEFULLY TEMPORARILY without several key players

-it was cold in the building, wow

My two takeaways - no reason to take anything real away from the game outside of we have some guards who can fill it up.

but mainly

WHY WAS IT SO COLD

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

My two takeaways - no reason to take anything real away from the game outside of we have some guards who can fill it up.

but mainly

WHY WAS IT SO COLD

boy do i agree with that.   i kept saying that the entire game.   Sunday it will be even colder outside so i will dress in layers and be prepared to endure the uncomfortable temperature.

1 minute ago, willie said:

I ran into Chris May at half time and he volunteered that he told the building management to turn up the heat. Second half was better. That doesn't answer why it was so cold. Obviously the small crowd didn't help. 

Yeah, the system is probably balanced for an average-sized crowd of 98-degree heat generators in the seats.

33 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Yeah, the system is probably balanced for an average-sized crowd of 98-degree heat generators in the seats.

Another cost of losing!

Or what if it wasn't that cold and its just a bunch of old people not realizing theyre old now...

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

boy do i agree with that.   i kept saying that the entire game.   Sunday it will be even colder outside so i will dress in layers and be prepared to endure the uncomfortable temperature.

Obviously, they had the AC on.  Once again a lack of attention to detail by the AD department

billikenfan05 likes this

22 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

im a big believer both rebounding and particularly rebounding are more mental and effort than skill.   i understand the likes of jordan goodwin, kevin lisch and javon bess are rare, that's the trait a coach should be looking for when recruiting to a great degree.