c.may on 590 the fan

9 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Do we think Scott Warman will call the games on Ballys again this year alongside Highmark?  Obviously former Cardinals broadcaster Dan McLaughlin was calling Billiken games before his most recent DUI issues.  That makes me wonder if Ballys can dictate that current Cardinals broadcaster Chip Caray call Billiken games.  Caray did call Orlando Magic games from 1989-1998, so he has basketball experience in his past.

Chip's grandpa Harry got his start in radio calling Billiken basketball. Chip's father Skip was the voice of the St Louis Hawks and may have called a few Billiken games himself.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he’s doing better but I’m personally against him returning at any point in the future. Actions should have consequences, regardless of what demons a person is struggling with. He could’ve easily killed someone by choosing to drive intoxicated on multiple occasions. 

10 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

He's too ubiquitous not to come back in that frame. He NEEDS to come back in some form eventually. He's made his peace with what he's done, he's not an abject criminal, he has demons that he's faced/is facing. A return for him in a few years would be the feel good story of the decade.

Except that he’s been given chances non-stop. I’m all about giving him an Avenue to come back, but like it hasn’t even been a year. Dude needs to prove he truly has a handle on his alcoholism before a team(SLU) should risk having their name show up next to his mugshot on barstool sports. Like I said 2-5 years, rebuild your reputation and I have no problem with him involved in a capacity with Billiken broadcasts 

8 hours ago, stmdragons said:

I hope he’s doing better but I’m personally against him returning at any point in the future. Actions should have consequences, regardless of what demons a person is struggling with. He could’ve easily killed someone by choosing to drive intoxicated on multiple occasions. 

I’m rooting for him. He is a good guy.  There are some deep demons Dan has been dealing with most of his life.  it doesn’t excuse what has happened, but it helps explain what he is dealing with.

All that said, he shouldn’t return to announcing.  I am not saying he should be banned from it, but if he wants to stay sober he should decide on his own to find another line of work.  Being on the road all the time and working the emcee circuit is not a lifestyle conducive to staying sober for someone like Dan.

dlarry and Old guy like this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Except that he’s been given chances non-stop. I’m all about giving him an Avenue to come back, but like it hasn’t even been a year. Dude needs to prove he truly has a handle on his alcoholism before a team(SLU) should risk having their name show up next to his mugshot on barstool sports. Like I said 2-5 years, rebuild your reputation and I have no problem with him involved in a capacity with Billiken broadcasts 

Yeah obviously not immediately, I'd never say that. But he's still youngish and he's got 20+ years of experience. Stipulate that he has to have someone drive him to and from all of his events associated and affiliated with sports or something, go the Harry Caray route. I think we'd see him again like you said in 3 or 4 years.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I’m rooting for him. He is a good guy.  There are some deep demons Dan has been dealing with most of his life.  it doesn’t excuse what has happened, but it helps explain what he is dealing with.

All that said, he shouldn’t return to announcing.  I am not saying he should be banned from it, but if he wants to stay sober he should decide on his own to find another line of work.  Being on the road all the time and working the emcee circuit is not a lifestyle conducive to staying sober for someone like Dan.

Any gig that doesn't include a car and driver for him probably shouldn't happen.   

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Any gig that doesn't include a car and driver for him probably shouldn't happen.   

I said this before his last problem.  I mean, I'm obviously not defending Danny Mac here, but was shocked there wasn't something like this set up on the last time around. 

Billiken Rich likes this

why are we wasting any discussion on dan mac?   

he's an average (at best) play by play guy who really hasnt shown any above and beyond devotion (think bob ramsey and earl) to the billikens.   he was easily replaced sufficiently and thus we dont need the baggage that would come with it.   let him straighten his life out and leave Saint Louis University out of his recovery.   he made his own bed.  imo "good riddance".

Old guy and Schasz like this

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree we shouldn't be playing Life Coach for Dan McLaughlin, or anyone else for that manner. 

One parting comment though, Dan McLaughlin has raised millions of dollars for charity through his foundation.  That is special.

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI, July 17, 2023 - For the past 20 years, the Special Education Foundation (SEF) has hosted the annual Dan McLaughlin Charity Golf Tournament and Auction and has raised millions of dollars to fund SEF programs to benefit thousands of students in and beyond the classroom, and providing financial assistance for families in need. 

The funds raised through this tournament help provide college scholarships, scholarships for kids to attend camp during academic breaks, brings the arts into the classroom, provide adaptive and assistive equipment such as hearing aids and communication devices to support everyday learning as well as essential items that are critical to students to engage in their education meaningfully.   

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree we shouldn't be playing Life Coach for Dan McLaughlin, or anyone else for that manner. 

One parting comment though, Dan McLaughlin has raised millions of dollars for charity through his foundation.  That is special.

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI, July 17, 2023 - For the past 20 years, the Special Education Foundation (SEF) has hosted the annual Dan McLaughlin Charity Golf Tournament and Auction and has raised millions of dollars to fund SEF programs to benefit thousands of students in and beyond the classroom, and providing financial assistance for families in need. 

The funds raised through this tournament help provide college scholarships, scholarships for kids to attend camp during academic breaks, brings the arts into the classroom, provide adaptive and assistive equipment such as hearing aids and communication devices to support everyday learning as well as essential items that are critical to students to engage in their education meaningfully.   

Hey man, just following up here. Were you not providing life coaching when you said the following:

“If you drink one less beer a night, you can afford MLS Apple + subscription”

I’ll hang up and listen.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Hey man, just following up here. Were you not providing life coaching when you said the following:

“If you drink one less beer a night, you can afford MLS Apple + subscription”

I’ll hang up and listen.

appears to me he was assisting you in brain storming ways to help you solve a financial concern.   that's what friends do.   good job Hoosier!

Just now, billiken_roy said:

appears to me he was assisting you in brain storming ways to help you solve a financial concern.   that's what friends do.   good job Hoosier!

Roy,

First of all, we're not talking about me. We're talking about casual sports fans for which CITY and the MLS should be desperate to get their product in front of. It's unreal that neither of you actually understand what this conversation is really about. 

Now if you want to talk about me, which apparently you and Hoosier love to do. Someone telling ME in 2023 to drink one less beer a day is truly hilarious. 

Two different threads that have veered way off topic into Danny Mac, MLS, and streaming platforms. 

"SLU should move to the MVC" season is right around the corner here. Make sure you have your PAYSTUBS ready for check-in at the Knights Inn. 

20 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Two different threads that have veered way off topic into Danny Mac, MLS, and streaming platforms. 

"SLU should move to the MVC" season is right around the corner here. Make sure you have your PAYSTUBS ready for check-in at the Knights Inn. 

Yeah there's a reason we're called MBMs 🤣

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

he's an average (at best) play by play guy who really hasnt shown any above and beyond devotion (think bob ramsey and earl) to the billikens.   he was easily replaced sufficiently and thus we dont need the baggage that would come with it.   let him straighten his life out and leave Saint Louis University out of his recovery.   he made his own bed.  imo "good riddance".

I disagree. He added a lot to the billiken broadcast. Personally, I think he made SLU games feel big time on tv. We had the Danny Mac announcing our games.  I rewatch most home games because I like seeing how the game went on TV verse being at the game. And without Danny I definitely think the production value fell off. To each their own but I would like to have him back at some point. 

Also I get mls season pass for free cause season tickets but they have a great product and a great streaming platform.

6 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Which Knights Inn should I bring my paystubs to? 

JMM28 and billikenfan05 like this

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I could take him or leave him when he was doing Billiken games but I thought he was a hell of a baseball announcer. 

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am currently 15+ years removed from a DUI that was rather excessive. While the story is gold (I went to White Castle twice on the 30 minute drive and my mug shot is so good), it was inexcusable behavior no doubt that could have been much worse. I had to attend a SATOP class and meet with a drug and alcohol counselor weekly and thru that I was surprised to learn that it is rare to get one DUI and never get another one. So frequently folks return to their previous behaviors. I certainly hope to be one of the few who is able to stop at the one. Anyways, the punishment probably isn’t as severe as it should be, but it certainly (SATOP, weekly meetings with a counselor, requirement to not drink during that time, victims impact panel, community service, and having my license taken away for a lengthy period of time) served as a lesson learned for me and my friends to not mess around with drinking and driving. I still drink more than I should, but you won’t find me driving.

We’re the same age (both started driving in the late 90s). Getting back to Torch’s post, wouldn’t you agree the cops and the courts today are a lot more serious about drunk driving than when we started drinking (and driving)? Unfortunately me and my friends drove under the influence on several occasions during high school. Thankfully we never hurt anyone. But there were 2 types of cops that pulled us over in the late 90s: those that made you pour your beers out before letting you drive home and those that just told you to drive home. Not a chance that happens today. Thankfully the police don’t F around with that anymore and the judges don’t let Travis Noble(‘s clients)* get away with as many technicalities as they used to. $15k retainers and you’re still not walking away unscathed.  With rideshare apps these days there are zero excuses to operate a motor vehicle under influence. 

*Saw Noble at Don Alfonso a few months back when I was enjoying an adult beverage with the Mrs. (Don’t like the place but it was convenient given our circumstances). Sitting at a 6 top was just Travis and his girlfriend. Wearing a 45-piece suit, entire can of Soul Glo in his hair, leaning back, unlit cigar in the mouth after just devouring a 140 ounce tomahawk (cooked rare). Probably billed that poor lady for their time spent. Hey SLU law alum Travis Noble - how about throwing some of that billable hours cash BVF’s way!!??

4 hours ago, dlarry said:

I could take him or leave him when he was doing Billiken games but I thought he was a hell of a baseball announcer. 

heard very little of him on our games as can't miss R&E but always happy with him on Card's games. Seems the younger generation have done good job with uber, designated driver and just general awareness than us old farts. never got a DWI but was guilty of such too many dozens of times, kind of like speeding though still do that :)

dlarry likes this