2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

That’s like saying the buck stops with Kamala Harris. Clearly May was asleep at the switch. 

Doesn't Ford have some blame here.  He should have been checking to find out the status all along.  Usually when a big screw up occurs it has many people who could have caught it but for whatever the reason that did not happen here.  Remember the fish rots from the head down.

TheA_Bomb likes this

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Doesn't Ford have some blame here.  He should have been checking to find out the status all along.  Usually when a big screw up occurs it has many people who could have caught it but for whatever the reason that did not happen here.  Remember the fish rots from the head down.

The head of the athletic department is Chris May.

31 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think everyone played a role in it, no doubt. I lean towards feeling empathy for Ford in this situation. Sure you can check on this stuff, but how much of it is more than just asking your AAD for Compliance or Janet/May?

(Speculating from here) How much did anyone other than the Compliance Director know? They could have been hiding this from the other three. AADC, May and JO could have been hiding it from Travis. Does Travis go behind their backs/over their heads to the NCAA? Would he have any reason to think everything wasn't done correctly?

JMM28 likes this

41 minutes ago, Compton said:

The head of the athletic department is Chris May.

Yes I know that and my point was not to dump all this on Ford but to point out that ultimately the AD is where the buck stops. I said that many could have intervened but for whatever the reason it did not happen.  Ford is impacted the most by this issue so I would have been very active in following up.   At the very least, May should have some kind of a system in place so people could track this matter throughout the process - heck Dominos does it for your pizza.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

AD Is in charge of this job. Not saying Ford’s totally blameless but he trusted someone to do their job for who had no supervisory authority. This is on May. 

slu92 likes this

25 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes I know that and my point was not to dump all this on Ford but to point out that ultimately the AD is where the buck stops. I said that many could have intervened but for whatever the reason it did not happen.  Ford is impacted the most by this issue so I would have been very active in following up.   At the very least, May should have some kind of a system in place so people could track this matter throughout the process - heck Dominos does it for your pizza.

-are there milestones in the NCAA process that would make this possible? 

32 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I'm not necessarily defending the May or AD here.  Your point about May having a system in place to make sure the people under him are doing their jobs is valid, but this is throwaway line is ridiculous.  Dominos is the largest pizza company in the world.  They had over $4.5 BILLION dollars in sales in 2022.  They can afford more advanced software / tracking systems than the SLU athletic department.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not necessarily defending the May or AD here.  Your point about May having a system in place to make sure the people under him are doing their jobs is valid, but this is throwaway line is ridiculous.  Dominos is the largest pizza company in the world.  They had over $4.5 BILLION dollars in sales in 2022.  They can afford more advanced software / tracking systems than the SLU athletic department.

Huh?

It's not about software or money necessarily.  It's about systems and processes.  When you meet with your staff and they brief you they need to brief statuses of key events.  For example accountant briefs budget outlays and projected execution.  Compliance would brief the number of transfer or NCAA clearance actions.  Let's say Tuesday, AD May has the Directors Update Brief (aka the DUB) he gets updated by key staff.  Compliance, "Sir as you can see on the PowerPoint I have 4 NCAA clearance actions for MBB. Zhang's was submitted on #Date and my POC at NCAA acknowledged receipt this action. It is anticipated to take 2 months to complete.  Women's Field Hockey......."

You have to know what needs to be tracked, what needs to be known by who and what impacts the action may have.

Trust me I do this sh#t all the time just tracking very different things. 

Follow me for more organizational leadership advice.

my understanding that there is one less person in the compliance department suddenly and there is a job posted to fill that apparent open spot.  

so my conjecture (i have no knowledge and no one else on this board has that specific inside personnel information either) that the person that might have screwed up the clearing of our players prior to the season has indeed been held accountable and let go.  no organization is going to release that specific information in the current litigious system of America.  

so I am not sure why there is still arrows being shot at Chris May.   Yes there was a problem, but apparently when it was discovered that the delegated job was not done as expected, he took the necessary punishment steps.   Since then, apparently somebody stepped in and has been working on it as two of the 4 players are now cleared.   

If the contention is that Chris May should have hands on handled the situation and gotten the clearances himself, you all dont know how a fairly good sized corporation works normally.   i would personally hate to work for a company that the boss was required to be that hands on and just did all the work him/herself.  no delegated management ever works if you ask me.   it just causes burnout and heartburn for the manager concerned and poor quality of work.  yes in this instance the employee delegated failed.   that is unfortunate.   and the program temporarily suffered.  but now we hope the steps have been taken to fix.  move on.

47 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Well a cheaper way would be to have weekly department meetings where people report on what they are doing and the progress.  It doesn't have to be a complicated system.

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-are there milestones in the NCAA process that would make this possible? 

I don't know but I know in another life, I would have to call the NCAA regarding courses being accepted by them for high school athletes and they always had someone you could talk with.  Ford or any assistance coach could call the NCAA identify themselves and just say just checking on the status of whoever.  If the paperwork was not turned in you would find that out.

11 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

On a different topic, does anyone know when we can expect the first NET ranking of the year to be released?  I’m not a fan of it, but it’s what the NCAA uses to rate teams.

December 4th last season.

Before I ask my question, I want you all to know that I really do not know anything about Janet or her functions. However, over the time I have watched Bills games at the Chaifetz there has been a young/young-looking woman who walks on the court wearing stiletto high heeled shoes. I know this is a no no because stilettos can easily damage the court, which has to be free of scratches or irregularities. She takes the microphone and announces various games and activities and has a screechy voice. Is this woman Janet by any chance? If anyone knows please confirm it.

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Before I ask my question, I want you all to know that I really do not know anything about Janet or her functions. However, over the time I have watched Bills games at the Chaifetz there has been a young/young-looking woman who walks on the court wearing stiletto high heeled shoes. I know this is a no no because stilettos can easily damage the court, which has to be free of scratches or irregularities. She takes the microphone and announces various games and activities and has a screechy voice. Is this woman Janet by any chance? If anyone knows please confirm it.

Janet has curly hair and is probably in her 40s or late 30s I think.  She is at all the games usually and I have never seen her in heels.

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Janet has curly hair and is probably in her 40s or late 30s I think.  She is at all the games usually and I have never seen her in heels.

Yeah she's definitely not a heels person.

OG might be thinking of Annie Reis, but I forget her actual role.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour