Gibson Jimerson Returning?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We would have gotten an at large had we not pissed it away by being terrible. Our schedule was there, same with Dayton and VCU. Don’t blame the net because the teams sucked.

I'm not buying it, 05, 21-12 RPI 53 (albeit rigged NET of 99) and OUT of everything, uninvited.  Maybe had we lobbied early we would have made the CBI.  But that would not have gone over well with this fanbase.

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This we need Bigs at the 4 and 5. Get those, and they’re decent. You take the A10. 

Former Billiken Lassina Traore, 6'10" 230, just completed his Sophomore season at Long Beach State in the Big West, averaged 12.9 ppg and 10.5 rpg, was named NABC All-District 9.  He hardly played in his freshman year at SLU.  He just averaged a Double-Double for The Beach.  

33 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Former Billiken Lassina Traore, 6'10" 230, just completed his Sophomore season at Long Beach State in the Big West, averaged 12.9 ppg and 10.5 rpg, was named NABC All-District 9.  He hardly played in his freshman year at SLU.  He just averaged a Double-Double for The Beach.  

And your point is? Has he entered the portal? Or are u saying MOMO could do this here? If the latter, I’d keep him in a minute. 

6 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Why would Gibson want to come back to such a dysfunctional program, mired in mediocrity, to play for a nitwit coach with one foot in the (professional) grave?

Because Coach Ford took Jimerson from a 3 point spot shooter to an all-conference 3 level scorer and excellent defender.

We didn’t make the tournament because we couldn’t thrash bad teams. Choked away games against Boise, Auburn, took a fat sh!t on the floor of the Mohegan Sun Vs Maryland, embarrassed ourselves against SIUE at home. Should I get into our A10 losses? Please explain to me how we got screwed by the numbers?

Flip BSU, Auburn and SIUE and one or two eggs in conference and we’re dancing. The rest is just copium. 

Tonka, JMM28, Littlebill and 1 other like this

30 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We didn’t make the tournament because we couldn’t thrash bad teams. Choked away games against Boise, Auburn, took a fat sh!t on the floor of the Mohegan Sun Vs Maryland, embarrassed ourselves against SIUE at home. Should I get into our A10 losses? Please explain to me how we got screwed by the numbers?

Flip BSU, Auburn and SIUE and one or two eggs in conference and we’re dancing. The rest is just copium. 

21-12, 12-6, playing in the A10 should have gotten SLU on the Bubble, not OUT of everything.  That 21-12 yielded an RPI of 53, which would have been the 2nd to last team IN the NCAA, had the metric formally used still have been used.  SLU would have no doubt been snubbed, would have been relegated into the NIT, probably as a #1 seed in the NIT, but would have had a stronger argument for NCAA inclusion had the RPI still been used.  Of course, the NCAA, servicing its Power 5 overlords, developed and then tweaked the NET, which resulted in SLU's NET of 99.  53 vs. 99 is a tremendous disparity.  21 Wins, 20 vs. D-1, a .667 conference record in 18 conference games, and advancing to the A10 Tourney semifinals is worthy of NCAA consideration, irrespective of what metric the NCAA uses.

You have to be close to perfect to get an at large now from the A10, have virtually no margin for error.  Power 5 + 1 schools do not face that same gauntlet.  VCU would not have received an at large bid, and Dayton did not receive one.

What actually happened?  Very simply, six (6) NCAA at large bids were transferred to the Power 5 + 1 from the so called "mid-majors," still a pejorative term in the case of SLU, but one becoming mainstream.

4 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

This is good news. Where does the team stand right now?

PG: Medley, Hughes

Off-guard: Thames, Parker

3/4 wings: Hargrove, Jimerson, Rivera

Bigs: Zhang, Cisse, Vice

I'd say that's in the 6th-9th place range, if things break right. My desires are: (1)combo guard who can defend the ball, like what Demarius Jacobs could have been (2) wing 3 & d type, like Hargrove. 4/5 banger who can protect the rim, like French. All three can be 20-25mpg types.  

Combo guard, Stretch 4, 5 for me.

Crewsorlose likes this

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

21-12, 12-6, playing in the A10 should have gotten SLU on the Bubble, not OUT of everything.  That 21-12 yielded an RPI of 53, which would have been the 2nd to last team IN the NCAA, had the metric formally used still have been used.  SLU would have no doubt been snubbed, would have been relegated into the NIT, probably as a #1 seed in the NIT, but would have had a stronger argument for NCAA inclusion had the RPI still been used.  Of course, the NCAA, servicing its Power 5 overlords, developed and then tweaked the NET, which resulted in SLU's NET of 99.  53 vs. 99 is a tremendous disparity.  21 Wins, 20 vs. D-1, a .667 conference record in 18 conference games, and advancing to the A10 Tourney semifinals is worthy of NCAA consideration, irrespective of what metric the NCAA uses.

You have to be close to perfect to get an at large now from the A10, have virtually no margin for error.  Power 5 + 1 schools do not face that same gauntlet.  VCU would not have received an at large bid, and Dayton did not receive one.

What actually happened?  Very simply, six (6) NCAA at large bids were transferred to the Power 5 + 1 from the so called "mid-majors," still a pejorative term in the case of SLU, but one becoming mainstream.

If my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. RPI hasn’t been used for half a decade. What fantasy world do you live in?

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. RPI hasn’t been used for half a decade. What fantasy world do you live in?

Just because it’s not used doesn’t mean it’s not a valid indicator of the strength of a team. The Net is obviously biased against mid majors…. 

10 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The RPI is still available. It was the metric used for decades. It is the metric last used for NCAA Soccer and Baseball. it is the best available example to compare to the NET and show what the NCAA has done to service its Power 5 overlords. Of course, the RPI does not fit the narrative of the anti-Coach faction on this board, not with SLU’s inconvenient truth RPI of 53.

DOC, BIG BILL FAN and dennis_w like this

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Jeff Sagarin has us at 84, and Kenpom has us at 96. Are those secretly controlled by the Power 5 Schools too? When you go 3-9 in Q1/Q2 games, you're not anywhere close to deserving of an NCAA bid. You can't just schedule well- you actually have to win against good teams. And not get blown out.

Bizziken and Crewsorlose like this

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The RPI is still available. It was the metric used for decades. It is the metric last used for NCAA Soccer and Baseball. it is the best available example to compare to the NET and show what the NCAA has done to service its Power 5 overlords. Of course, the RPI does not fit the narrative of the anti-Coach faction on this board, not with SLU’s inconvenient truth RPI of 53.

Fantasy world. 
Back on earth, there’s 2 mid-major teams in the final four along with a team from a great basketball only conference. Only one “P5” team to be found. 

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Fantasy world. 
Back on earth, there’s 2 mid-major teams in the final four along with a team from a great basketball only conference. Only one “P5” team to be found. 

amazing 2 mid major teams in the final four when the net was designed to let as few in the tournament as possible. that is the point of the net to keep out as many as they can, it is obvious that the mid major teams can do well, but fewer even get the opportunity 

BIG BILL FAN likes this