Transfers - 2023

ACE

On 8/19/2023 at 8:21 AM, billiken_roy said:

it's my opinion the majority of D1 college athletes in the revenue sports never cared about an education.   it was always about playing in the nfl or nba no matter how remote their possibility was.  

Your cynicism makes me sad. 😢

Your the one who is delusional if you think more than half of the Billikens think they will play in the NBA or more than half of Mizzou’s football team thinks they will play in the NFL.

While some college athletes don’t care about the education, I disagree that most don’t care. In fact, whether they like it or not, most of the D1 college athletes in revenue sports that play 4 years end up getting a pretty good education. Most get a degree, and 4 yrs playing D1 football or basketball looks a lot better on a resume than my summer job painting houses during college.

Athletic Scholarship students are forced to go to class and study hall with access to tutors. Not to mention the discipline and team work, etc. that they learn from playing on the team. In my opinion, most D1 college athletes in revenue sports get a far better education than they would if they didn’t have an athletic scholarship. 

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said they were good enough to play professionally, just that was there mindset to play college sports.   They more or less have no interest in academic reasons.   It's all about playing 

AGB91 likes this

48 minutes ago, David King said:

Your cynicism makes me sad. 😢

Your the one who is delusional if you think more than half of the Billikens think they will play in the NBA or more than half of Mizzou’s football team thinks they will play in the NFL.

While some college athletes don’t care about the education, I disagree that most don’t care. In fact, whether they like it or not, most of the D1 college athletes in revenue sports that play 4 years end up getting a pretty good education. Most get a degree, and 4 yrs playing D1 football or basketball looks a lot better on a resume than my summer job painting houses during college.

Athletic Scholarship students are forced to go to class and study hall with access to tutors. Not to mention the discipline and team work, etc. that they learn from playing on the team. In my opinion, most D1 college athletes in revenue sports get a far better education than they would if they didn’t have an athletic scholarship. 

“Dumb jock” is a stereotype!

Whatever happened to that mathematical formula they used to measure against teams for grad rates?  Guys had five years to get a degree (now likely six) to tally positively to the school's overall grad rate.  I seem to recall Tommie Liddell being a bug in that system for us.  I imagine it's gone or the accounting has gone plumb wild given grad transfers, transfer portal and all the crap that is the college norm now.  I recall kshoe being pretty educated on that stuff a few years back.

50 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Whatever happened to that mathematical formula they used to measure against teams for grad rates?  Guys had five years to get a degree (now likely six) to tally positively to the school's overall grad rate.  I seem to recall Tommie Liddell being a bug in that system for us.  I imagine it's gone or the accounting has gone plumb wild given grad transfers, transfer portal and all the crap that is the college norm now.  I recall kshoe being pretty educated on that stuff a few years back.

APR is DOD......

On 8/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks for your honesty.  Here's one of the articles that probably gets thrown around.  As a point of reference 24/7 doesn't list Dandridge among the 150 top transfers:

https://www.wvnews.com/bluegoldnews/nil-compensation-data-puts-numbers-to-speculation/article_689b9db2-0958-11ee-89a6-07d56b9807df.html

I saw this article which is more in line with the higher numbers I had been seeing posted/rumored about. As I posted before, I have no firsthand information or knowledge on any of this, so I have no clue how valid this is or relevant it is to guys we pursued. The article points to the portal getting a bit out of hand this spring which lines up with things our coaches have kind of alluded to. I suppose it is important to have a good idea what you are competing against.

Candid Coaches: What NIL price is a projected high-major starter in the transfer looking portal looking for? - CBSSports.com

On 8/31/2023 at 12:50 PM, TheChosenOne said:

I saw this article which is more in line with the higher numbers I had been seeing posted/rumored about. As I posted before, I have no firsthand information or knowledge on any of this, so I have no clue how valid this is or relevant it is to guys we pursued. The article points to the portal getting a bit out of hand this spring which lines up with things our coaches have kind of alluded to. I suppose it is important to have a good idea what you are competing against.

Candid Coaches: What NIL price is a projected high-major starter in the transfer looking portal looking for? - CBSSports.com

The articles thesis is it is a must for all college programs to build their teams from the transfer market even though only a small percentage can afford to do that.

I don't know why any coach would participate in this nonsense.  Recruit HSers, hope they stay and pay to keep established players.  Just keep reloading with HS players.  The talent on the transfer outside of maybe the top 3-5 players isn't program changing.  If you remove the market for transfers, there won't be any.

CenHudDude and dlarry like this

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Players still entering the portal.  Hasn't school started?  is academics an item on the decision tree anymore?

-so he would be a two time transfer needing a waiver, correct? 

-did any waivers for two time transfers in football get approved? trying to see if we have hope of getting one

In these situations you'd expect him to move closer to his hometown Philly but he's shown a willingness to go anywhere.   Las Cruces and Starkvegas aren't garden spots. If I'm him I'm calling Romar at Pepperdine or FGCU.

But any A-10 school is a good option because he'll play in his hometown guaranteed.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Players still entering the portal.  Hasn't school started?  Is academics an item on the decision tree anymore?

Sure, school has started, but every school has a start date and then a "drop dead" date by which a student must be enrolled.  One of my sons went to SLU, graduated with an engineering degree, and then came back to CA.  He took the summer off to celebrate his degree, and didn't really start the process of looking for a job until sometime around the start of the school year.  He had an interview in CA where at the end of the interview they asked him if he could provide an academic reference.  He wrote one of his favorite professors that Friday morning.  The professor immediaely wrote back and said that he (the professor) had just landed a National Science Foundation grant, and if my son could get on a plane and be in class Monday morning, he could get him a full scholarship (for a Master's degree) and hire him to work on the grant project.  It was weeks after classes had started.  It can be done - and is done - for students the school wants, whether it is for athletic or academic reasons.  And yes, my son was on a plane the next day and in class that Monday morning.  He had missed a few weeks of classes, but he was able to catch up.

cgeldmacher, willie and brianstl like this

-I don't know if any two-time football transfer waivers were granted, but seeing the one in the link being denied doesn't raise hopes we'll get one but who knows, perhaps the NCAA was getting back at UNC for the no class issue 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38347273/north-carolina-wr-tez-walker-appeal-denied-ineligible-23

NCAA denies Football 2x transfer appeal.  Kid didn't play his first season, yet NCAA is counting it.  From Athlon Sports.

Earlier today, the NCAA denied Walker's transfer waiver appeal — ruling him ineligible for the entire 2023 season.

Walker was denied immediate eligibility on the basis of the NCAA's two-time transfer rules. The star wide receiver began his collegiate career at North Carolina Central, but never played for the team due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He then transferred to Kent State where he earned first-team All-MAC honors this past season.

22 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Have any 2x transfers had their transfer waivers accepted? Based on some of these posts it seems like a real long shot we will be seeing Ezewiro this winter, but maybe I am wrong (I certainly haven’t followed it closely)?

Ezewiro will be sitting. No way it is getting approved unless some denial files a lawsuit and the NCAA gets cold feet.