Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Is Ezewiro safe due to the coaching changes at his previous two stops?

The staff was confident he would get his waiver earlier. So.....

No chance in Hell that he's eligible.

Let the Zhang Dynasty begin.

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Permission to use that? I would buy a t shirt that says that.

I'm definitely making a shirt design with this but credit to @moytoy12 for the name. I ripped off Yurimania so I feel comfortable ripping off Zhang Dynasty as well. 

Interesting on the denials, per Jeff Goodman, if this is in fact true.  This is from today's Field of 68.  (Recommend subscribing - it's free.)

2. NCAA trying to tamp down transfer moves

We may be nearing the end of Transfer Madness. (Doesn’t have the same ring as March Madness. Still workshopping it.)

The NCAA Division I Council proposed changes on Wednesday that would cut the transfer entry window from 60 days to 30 days.

For basketball, this year’s window opened the day after Selection Sunday and ran until mid May. This won’t affect grad transfers; they can enter any time. Undergraduates who have a coaching change also likely would receive a grace period. Anyone who enters after the portal closes would need a waiver.

And that’s where it gets tricky.

tw profile: Jeff Goodman

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

tw

Source: The D-1 Council was also informed the overwhelming majority of the second-time undergrad transfers thus far have been denied waivers. There were exceptions, but minimal. Many of them that have been ruled on thus far were football, but it doesn’t bode well for those trying… https://t.co/suvJpTo7ru

Jun 28, 2023

spacer.gif

220 Likes   58 Retweets   12 Replies

Most of the waiver requests have come from football players — 2,224 football players have entered the portal, while roughly 1,750 basketball players entered — but one can expect this to spill into hoops.

A shorter window coupled with fewer approved waivers would almost certainly reduce the free-for-all nature of the last few offseasons. Most coaches are in favor of the changes (less roster uncertainty!) and I’m guessing many fans would feel the same.

ESPN reported the vote for shortening the transfer window will take place during October’s D-I meeting.

14 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-very,very quick math

-fball - 120 teams times 88 scholarships = 10,560 players --- 2224 is 21% 

-bball - 350 teams times 13 scholarships = 4550 players --- 1750 is 38%

-wow  

The transfer portal includes walk ons and guys using their "covid year" so they are a little inflated. 

The new normal from MO State coach Dana Ford.  

Do mid-major coaches fear the transfer portal? “Absolutely… We count our scholarships based on who’s used their one-time transfer and who hasn’t. Anyone who hasn’t, we assume that’s an open scholarship next year” -
gabriel likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The new normal from MO State coach Dana Ford.  

Do mid-major coaches fear the transfer portal? “Absolutely… We count our scholarships based on who’s used their one-time transfer and who hasn’t. Anyone who hasn’t, we assume that’s an open scholarship next year” -

I guess that's practical. we should always think that way here too I guess.

FWIW, I spoke to someone close to the program last week who told me the international player Frank was talking about was from Serbia. He said the deal should've been wrapped up that day. I asked about Dandridge and he said SLU has offered a lot of NIL money. He said the coaching staff doesn't believe anyone else will touch the amount of NIL SLU offered, but they think he may be delaying his decision to see if anyone else comes in and offers more. He wouldn't say anything was likely, but he did say the coaching staff believes SLU has presented far and away the best NIL offer Dandridge received. 

I'm not an insider or anything, so take it with a grain of salt, but the source said SLU is not out on Dandridge. I wasn't going to post anything unless the Serbian thing actually materialized.

9 hours ago, Bilzz said:

FWIW, I spoke to someone close to the program last week who told me the international player Frank was talking about was from Serbia. He said the deal should've been wrapped up that day. I asked about Dandridge and he said SLU has offered a lot of NIL money. He said the coaching staff doesn't believe anyone else will touch the amount of NIL SLU offered, but they think he may be delaying his decision to see if anyone else comes in and offers more. He wouldn't say anything was likely, but he did say the coaching staff believes SLU has presented far and away the best NIL offer Dandridge received. 

I'm not an insider or anything, so take it with a grain of salt, but the source said SLU is not out on Dandridge. I wasn't going to post anything unless the Serbian thing actually materialized.

Appreciate the analysis - my sources (west pine bills) say we have no shot with dandridge though. 

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

Appreciate the analysis - my sources (west pine bills) say we have no shot with dandridge though. 

Like I said, take it for what its worth, but I know the guy is close to the program and he was correct on the international guy we landed today. Not saying anything will or won't happen, just wanted to pass along what I was told.

gabriel likes this

7 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Like I said, take it for what it’s worth, but I know the guy is close to the program and he was correct on the international guy we landed today. Not saying anything will or won't happen, just wanted to pass along what I was told.

Something will happen this week or next, Dandridge or a different big, per Ford on Frank’s interview.

8 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Something will happen this week or next, Dandridge or a different big, per Ford on Frank’s interview.

I have been posting this the past few weeks, at some point Dandridge needs to make a decision and we need to finalize our roster whether it is with him or someone else. It is July 7th, no reason for him to continue to be holding out on a decision. Does anyone know whether he has the option of returning to Memphis or where even he is currently?

It is a bit odd to me how many guys we have added so late in the game with summer workouts and practices ongoing. Are the International kids on campus or will they be joining in the fall? It would be nice to have them on campus this summer with some time to adjust to life in the US and at SLU before school truly begins in the fall.

VeniceMenace likes this

6 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I have been posting this the past few weeks, at some point Dandridge needs to make a decision and we need to finalize our roster whether it is with him or someone else. It is July 7th, no reason for him to continue to be holding out on a decision. Does anyone know whether he has the option of returning to Memphis or where even he is currently?

It is a bit odd to me how many guys we have added so late in the game with summer workouts and practices ongoing. Are the International kids on campus or will they be joining in the fall? It would be nice to have them on campus this summer with some time to adjust to life in the US and at SLU before school truly begins in the fall.

Im not sure what universe im living in then...

On 6/28/2023 at 7:21 PM, Lord Elrond said:

The NCAA specifically said a coaching change was not a reason to grant a waiver

Yet an assistant coaching change is enough to grant a release from a NLI…. I know that’s the program’s choice, not the NCAA. And that you can’t hold a recruit hostage without damaging future recruiting. But damn, am I salty about Vice still….

18 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Coached by? 

No one apparently. I think it’s pretty apparent that Dandridge (or his NIL “agent”) is floating around rumors to try to get the schools interested in him to bid up his NIL money.  Let’s make our best offer and tell him to take what’s on the table or we move on.

gabriel likes this