Ford- Less with More (and the last great four year Billikens)

gobillsgo

5 hours ago, stmdragons said:

Yeah, I keep hearing about how great of a recruiter Forte is but we’ve gotten absolutely nothing out of the Dallas area to this point. 

I’ve never heard Forte was a great recruiter, is that what he’s known for? Not sure I’ve heard much about him aside from his ties to Ford/Stuen. 

It seems like the Texas “push” has been recent and all it takes is a couple good gets for it to be worthwhile? I don’t think anyone here knows how much time should be allocated to recruiting certain regions. They did bring in Rivera. 

Between Rivera/Medley/Vice/Zhang/Cisse I don’t see how anyone could argue we’re having issues recruiting all over/outside STL. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, WVBilliken said:

Diasagree ..... and I lived in St. Louis for 38 years.  Love visiting St. Louis but glad I live in smaller, less congested, low crime (about 250,000 in Metro area) area with close access to the mountains, skiing, hiking, cycling, white water rafting, rock climbing, etc ...... guess it depends on your priorities.  I'll take small town America every time.

West Virginia ranks dead last (50th) in infrastructure. More likely to die on a crappy WV road on the way to skiing, hiking, climbing, etc in WV than I am getting shot in STL. Other WV rankings: 47th in healthcare, 45th in education, 48th in economy, and a life expectancy of 72 years old.  No thank you. 

People die in “Small town America” at higher rates than urban America. But dying of obesity, heart disease, higher rates or cancer, rampant drug use,  etc isn’t as sexy as “crime-ridden” cities.  

I agree. College towns are fun to visit…for a day. Check out the one “famous” dining spot in town that ESPN highlights during game nights that, in reality, is overrated garbage. But As a visiting fan, give me multiple days of culture, arts, and the culinary delights of major cities. Which, depending on the city, also have hiking, skiing, climbing, etc within a short drive. But this too is also just one man’s opinion. 

PS: I love Otis 

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

West Virginia ranks dead last (50th) in infrastructure. More likely to die on a crappy WV road on the way to skiing, hiking, climbing, etc in WV than I am getting shot in STL. Other WV rankings: 47th in healthcare, 45th in education, 48th in economy, and a life expectancy of 72 years old.  No thank you. 

People die in “Small town America” at higher rates than urban America. But dying of obesity, heart disease, higher rates or cancer, rampant drug use,  etc isn’t as sexy as “crime-ridden” cities.  

I agree. College towns are fun to visit…for a day. Check out the one “famous” dining spot in town that ESPN highlights during game nights that, in reality, is overrated garbage. But As a visiting fan, give me multiple days of culture, arts, and the culinary delights of major cities. Which, depending on the city, also have hiking, skiing, climbing, etc within a short drive. But this too is also just one man’s opinion. 

0 to 60 😂

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

0 to 60 😂

Haha I’ve got a newborn.  No sleep. I’m delirious. Have absolutely no idea what I just posted. Almost as if I took a tranquilizer dart to the neck a la Frank the tank. 

majerus mojo and wgstl like this

31 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

, this was electric 

9 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Haha I’ve got a newborn.  No sleep. I’m delirious. Have absolutely no idea what I just posted. Almost as if I took a tranquilizer dart to the neck a la Frank the tank. 

Part of me hopes your bleary-eyed, new parent look is something like your avatar of Jerry Seinfeld in the coke-bottle glasses.

10 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

lol this definitely reminds me of my posts while feeding the babies at 3:30 am on week 4 of never getting more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep. godspeed. 

12 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

🤣😀😁

I’m scoring this a 2-point takedown with a bonus point for reversal. 

12 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Perry turned 3 this past December! Can you believe it? And Ben turned 2 just a week ago. He got to do the baby race last year and didn't move from the starting line. They are doing great, getting too big. 

i would think pictures are requirements for such a post.  😁

34 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Perry turned 3 this past December! Can you believe it? And Ben turned 2 just a week ago. He got to do the baby race last year and didn't move from the starting line. They are doing great, getting too big. 

-no, I can't believe she is 3 and little brother is already 2, jeepers 

20 hours ago, stmdragons said:

Yeah, I keep hearing about how great of a recruiter Forte is but we’ve gotten absolutely nothing out of the Dallas area to this point. 

Exactly - I started bringing this up over the summer.  The emphasis on Texas seems more about advancing Forte's career than it does being really sound strategy for a team that is in the A-10. It's as if Forte is auditioning for a Big 12 job. Sure, he has generated some interest, but has yet to sign anyone. And if/when we sign someone from Texas, I question if it will be a quality recruit.

An East Coast strategy makes far more sense. We're more likely to get quality recruits from the East Coast like Medley.  That's the route we need to keep hitting hard. I'd rather have someone like Van Macon on staff than Forte. 

slufan13 and stmdragons like this

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Exactly - I started bringing this up over the summer.  The emphasis on Texas seems more about advancing Forte's career than it does being really sound strategy for a team that is in the A-10. It's as if Forte is auditioning for a Big 12 job. Sure, he has generated some interest, but has yet to sign anyone. And if/when we sign someone from Texas, I question if it will be a quality recruit.

An East Coast strategy makes far more sense. We're more likely to get quality recruits from the East Coast like Medley.  That's the route we need to keep hitting hard. I'd rather have someone like Van Macon on staff than Forte. 

I agreed with making Texas a focus, but those efforts got to bear fruit at some point.  Forte and prior to him Stuen  haven't landed anyone from there.  You, also, don't quit focusing on Chicago and the east coast.  Bailey being back helps address both, but his first recruiting cycle won't be until this fall.  

I know now it is popular to say Giacoletti was an x and o's guy, but I really don't think he brought anything significant to the table during his time here.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agreed with making Texas a focus, but those efforts got to bear fruit at some point.  Forte and prior to him Stuen  haven't landed anyone from there.  You, also, don't quit focusing on Chicago and the east coast.  Bailey being back helps address both, but his first recruiting cycle won't be until this fall.  

I know now it is popular to say Giacoletti was an x and o's guy, but I really don't think he brought anything significant to the table during his time here.

You have no idea what he brought to the table unless you were at practice and in coach's meetings. As far as games are concerned he was very involved. 

19 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

LOL .... don't believe everything you read.  I love my home state of Missouri but crime, pollution, congestion, high cost of living, crappy weather ...... all these are better in WV.  But seriously; each area has its pluses and minuses.  I like the good of both areas and enjoy getting back to St. Louis a couple of times a year ..... but still don't care to live there again.  

Just a thought on the recruitment strategy in Texas and anywhere outside the traditional SLU areas.  I wonder if a focus on Catholic or parochial schools would be more effective.  If a student athlete and their family enjoy their experience at such a school then perhaps they'd be more likely to want to continue. 

Just an idle musing.  I know Dallas Jesuit produces good Soccer players not sure about BB. Or Nolan in Ft. Worth.

50 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

LOL .... don't believe everything you read.  I love my home state of Missouri but crime, pollution, congestion, high cost of living, crappy weather ...... all these are better in WV.  But seriously; each area has its pluses and minuses.  I like the good of both areas and enjoy getting back to St. Louis a couple of times a year ..... but still don't care to live there again.  

I was a raving lunatic last night. Disregard the late evening rantings of mad man. Glad you make it back a couple times a year, hopefully for Billiken athletics! I bet Otis throws some epic keg parties when you’re gone…

12 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I was a raving lunatic last night. Disregard the late evening rantings of mad man. Glad you make it back a couple times a year, hopefully for Billiken athletics! I bet Otis throws some epic keg parties when you’re gone…

Damn, Otis comes with me usually.  Got lots of family who is happy to keep him when I want to catch a Cards or Billiken game.  Otis loves checking out St. Louis as well.  He's quite the tourist.  He loves the beach too!

received_164580606342267.jpeg

On 2/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, majerus mojo said:

I’ve never heard Forte was a great recruiter, is that what he’s known for? Not sure I’ve heard much about him aside from his ties to Ford/Stuen. 

Thanks, Stu: 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/phil-forte-is-finding-his-voice-confidence-in-year-2-as-a-slu-basketball-assistant/article_ea65e32e-4c4c-5f1e-b774-c7856c7c3efd.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_stltoday

No mention of him being an ace recruiter though, that must’ve only been relayed to a few in-the-know posters