Billiken Victory Fund

SluSignGuy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If anything, it makes it easier to do exactly that.  No one, or at least me, has questioned his recruiting, just his coaching.  More NIL $ means the next coach can get quality players too, but likely coach them better. 

you will be talking about a whole roster, not just a few players....i wonder if the next coach can promises us there will be no injuries, illness or drama, if so, sign him immediately....

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Gates took top mid majors players to play in the sec, could a coach get them to play in another mid majors conference?

SLU and the A10 (even as it is this year), is a step up for 3 of the 4 transfers. 2 of the others were JUCO players.  Only one was previously at a better conference, and 1 one at a better team(UNI).  They did pay Mosley a lot to transfer to mizzou. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

SLU and the A10 (even as it is this year), is a step up for 3 of the 4 transfers. 2 of the others were JUCO players.  Only one was previously at a better conference, and 1 one at a better team(UNI).  They did pay Mosley a lot to transfer to mizzou. 

It could happen, but likely sec trumps a-10

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

NIL is misnamed.  It’s a pure smokescreen.  What this is is PFP ——play for pay.  Because the NCAA puckered tighter than a first nighter in prison, they abdicated all responsibility and left a void filled quickly by those who wanted it filled a certain way.  These kids are young mercenaries, looking for easy cash.  Likely run by removed entourages or family members.  This has absolutely NOTHING to do with name, image and likeness.

That is the horror you accept with accepting NIL.  A monthly stipend should have sufficed.  But schools didn’t want to have to pay it.  So they left it open to booster groups and ‘independent’ entities.  And that always works out well.

Now, because some run quicker and faster than the majority, the majority are forced to play catch up or face failure.  Open market on athletes folks.  Live with it.

This is correct. The reality is that if you want to watch student-athletes play, you need to check out NAIA, UMSL, the Eutectics and so on.

Division 1 collegiate athletics is a mercenary game. The players are paid and are subject to both salary and criticism as well. The days of "i'm a man, i'm 40, talk about me" are rubbish. If players can't perform they deserve criticism just like any other paid professional.

It is even more mercenary than the NFL or NBA as players are signed year-to-year rather than on yearly contracts. Every player is a free agent at the end of every season. Coaches should be the same IMO.

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Take a step back from being a fan of sports.  Doesn't matter what the NCAA intended.  We're talking about regulating how people get paid for their services/work.  People can be paid for anything that is legal. To limit that arbitrarily because you play a sport is un-American and illegal per the SCOTUS.

Now you have the option whether to support this or not.  No one is forcing you. 

As for Final 4 runs by Cinderellas?  Who knows. I think this will go back to an equilibrium UNC basketball always had more support than George Mason basketball even when GM made that run.  So what's different now? Transfer portal?  OK seems to me the top 25 today looks about like it did the last fee decades. Mostly big schools traditional powers with a few smaller schools/non-traditional powers on the list. 

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Concur

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

As of right now, SLU is a beneficiary of the NIL. Remove football schools/G6, There are very few schools that can compete with SLU in booster money/NIL potential.  If we sit around and mope over this, schools will catch up and eventually pass us. I think this is exciting times for us as long as enough money is passed along. 

Which is why I said in another thread that this fanbase needs less billiken_roys and more forward thinkers. Younger ones too.

19 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Which is why I said in another thread that this fanbase needs less billiken_roys and more forward thinkers. Younger ones too.

You should be ashamed for making a comment like that. You so called “forward thinkers” could learn a lot from the Billiken Roy’s, starting with loyalty, support and respect….

23 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

I wish I was young. My point stands. SLU athletics will get passed by if fans like you drown out others.

I guess you’re too stupid to realize that it’s been the Billiken Roy types who have been footing the majority of the financial costs for the athletic programs. 

slufanskip and HenryB like this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You should be ashamed for making a comment like that. You so called “forward thinkers” could learn a lot from the Billiken Roy’s, starting with loyalty, support and respect….

I can do without "BC17"

Roy at least I know is a seriously committed fan of the program. He is just dead wrong about where and what collegiate athletics is all about. The program will move in the direction of BIG DOLLARS the billiken_roy's of the world are already left far behind by the current rules. That argument is dead and gone.

Experiment: let's get a sampling made up of players who don't want to get paid. Let's get a sampling of players who do want to get paid. I wonder which "team" will win.

Keep yo losing to yoself.

3 hours ago, BC1764 said:

I wish I was young. My point stands. SLU athletics will get passed by if fans like you drown out others.

have you missed the last 1/2 century? A bunch of obnoxious thoughts from a newcomer is bad enough but don't turn your back on history. We dropped football, haven't been top of the heap in any way in hoops since Ed & da Boyz, we were UCLA of soccer but now chart even less than the Bruins do. 

Being a Bill's fan is hard for a reason. Your bitching & The Lesser Robertson's fundraising ain't gonna change reality, but u not posting anymore for a while would be a relief for us used to suffering without snapping. 

Billikenbooster likes this

5 hours ago, almaman said:

have you missed the last 1/2 century? A bunch of obnoxious thoughts from a newcomer is bad enough but don't turn your back on history. We dropped football, haven't been top of the heap in any way in hoops since Ed & da Boyz, we were UCLA of soccer but now chart even less than the Bruins do. 

Being a Bill's fan is hard for a reason. Your bitching & The Lesser Robertson's fundraising ain't gonna change reality, but u not posting anymore for a while would be a relief for us used to suffering without snapping. 

It may not change the status quo, but at least we aren't continuing the history of falling behind as you mentioned in bold.

Also stop feeding the trolls.

RUBillsFan likes this

For this fund to be successful, it will take a village to raise it - any and all dollars will be needed no matter how small or large.  The problem is our pool of potential donors big and small is not anywhere close to the size of the pool that the big boys have.  We have to be realistic and maybe we can figure out how to navigate this cesspool the NIL has become.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

For this fund to be successful, it will take a village to raise it - any and all dollars will be needed no matter how small or large.  The problem is our pool of potential donors big and small is not anywhere close to the size of the pool that the big boys have.  We have to be realistic and maybe we can figure out how to navigate this cesspool the NIL has become.

i agree with your post, my doubt which i feel very sure of, is that while me might have a one time first time to fill the treasure chest it isnt going to happen year after year without NUMEROUS big boosters.  doc C cant do it all every year.   i love the man for what he has done and tries to keep doing for all of Saint Louis University, but this is a huge huge basket to fill each and every year and that is what it will take to compete with the big time public schools.  

The Billiken Exchange through INFLCR is still active, and if anyone knows how much $$ is flowing through it, please report. 

This is the method where businesses can engage selected athletes for short or long term affiliations.   For example, if you want Momo to appear at your company's spring golf outing, you would use this forum.  Troy mentioned the Exchange on his interview with Ackerman.

Has the Exchange been successful?  I don't know.  Will $$ going through the Exchange be moved to the BVL?  Time will tell.

https://slubillikens.com/news/2022/4/19/billiken-athletics-billikens-announce-nil-portal-to-benefit-student-athletes.aspx

14 hours ago, BC1764 said:

Sorry why I might not agree with everything Billiken Roy posts...I will NEVER question his being a HUGE Billiken fan and someone who I happen to know. Like everyone on this website he is entitled to his thoughts regarding SLU hoops.

23 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

and this is exactly why you Ford bashers, who want him fired, are delusional when you think we can immediately recruit a better roster through the portal with a new coach...

Why does it have to be immediately?

Im more than happy with bringing in a guy who brings a system and builds a team that fits his system. 

SLU_Nick likes this

8 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

How many years do you give the new coach to do thi?

If the current AD made the hire at the conclusion of this season 7 would seem fair. That's what Ford has been given to produce only 1 NCAA trip to date in year 7. It's only a crap shoot (win A-10 Tourney) to have a chance for 2 in 7 years. Count me on someone net betting on that happening.

brianstl likes this