GDT: vs Boise State

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah we know.  He sees what we see.  He is well aware of the support Ford is getting and his pay relative to the rest of the conference and the results. 

How many years left on his contract? Is the money guaranteed?

I didn't want to be right on this one.  He can still make a run and win in the NCAA tournament but I doubt it. 

A Bomb you are completely justified in doubting Ford will lead us places this year. I agree we will not know until the end of the season but the smell of decay is starting to come out of the Bills already. A defeat as a team is a defeat, you can try to make a retreat and regroup under fire, or break down in a rout. I think the best option available to us is retreat and regrouping under fire while avoiding a rout. I do not anticipate a good result against Drake, but we might be able to regroup and recover to some degree during conference play. Let's hope the defeat is not complete, as it would be in a rout, and that we can hold our ground at some level. I honestly doubt we will make it to the Dance this year.

Marlow likes this

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

We’ve really only had one true “D1 effective against P5 teams” big since I’ve been around.  His issue was 100% mental/psychological.  The is no way he should/could be with SLU now.  CAG

As frustrating as it has been to watch four guys standing around passively watching Yuri, hope springs eternal with the arrival of 7-1 big man Bruce Zhang…who may be lost at sea right now…

MB73 likes this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

As frustrating as it has been to watch four guys standing around passively watching Yuri, hope springs eternal with the arrival of 7-1 big man Bruce Zhang…who may be lost at sea right now…

Be sure to show him lots of Okoro and Forrester footage from this year: 

“See this, Bruce? Don’t. Do. This.”

Bills By 40 likes this

34 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

yea, especially if we have to make a big payout.

we payed big bucks to fire Crews which probably came from him and a few other donors

I think Ford is overpaid, like, he deserves a similar salary to successful A10 coaches, but I think we're giving him too much money.

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

A Bomb you are completely justified in doubting Ford will lead us places this year. I agree we will not know until the end of the season but the smell of decay is starting to come out of the Bills already. A defeat as a team is a defeat, you can try to make a retreat and regroup under fire, or break down in a rout. I think the best option available to us is retreat and regrouping under fire while avoiding a rout. I do not anticipate a good result against Drake, but we might be able to regroup and recover to some degree during conference play. Let's hope the defeat is not complete, as it would be in a rout, and that we can hold our ground at some level. I honestly doubt we will make it to the Dance this year.

I think you’re wrong about Drake.  At least I hope so seeing that Richmond beat them by 30.

Here's an OSU blog complaining about all the same Travis Ford issues we have.   It's all the same stuff this is who Ford is. Lack of ability to win in post season.   Regression of teams.  No development of big men.   Headscrathing decisions at the end of close games.  High pay and support relative to other conference coaches with lesser results.   Etc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cowboysrideforfree.com/platform/amp/2014/4/3/5546118/travis-ford-fired

Best line "These guys will jump off the cliff for Travis Ford. Unfortunately, I doubt he could draw up a play that would put them in position to do so."

4 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I think Ford is overpaid, like, he deserves a similar salary to successful A10 coaches, but I think we're giving him too much money.

Agree, I believe his salary around 2.6 mil. As of last year the next A10 coach, Rhoads of VCU made about $700,000 less. I am guessing Martin and Miller are making good salaries but no where near Ford's.

New UMass coach Frank Martin's contract will be worth $8.5 million over its five years if he stays for its entire term, making him one of the highest-paid state employees in Massachusetts. Martin's pay will average $1.7 million over five years but it's not equal from year to year.

Archie Miller will rake in $9.5 million if he stays the full five years.

6 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Here's an OSU blog complaining about all the same Travis Ford issues we have.   It's all the same stuff this is who Ford is. Lack of ability to win in post season.   Regression of teams.  No development of big men.   Headscrathing decisions at the end of close games.  High pay and support relative to other conference coaches with lesser results.   Etc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cowboysrideforfree.com/platform/amp/2014/4/3/5546118/travis-ford-fired

Best line "These guys will jump off the cliff for Travis Ford. Unfortunately, I doubt he could draw up a play that would put them in position to do so."

Yikes! That’s disturbingly similar to our experiences and current situation.

While posters have posted solid evidence about coach Ford my belief is that I overrated the quality of the players and that is an issue.

During the bully ball days those players were much tougher than the players on this season’s team.  There were some bad head scratching loses but those teams did not normally get blown out on the road.

It’s time for me to kick back and enjoy the Billikens season and not be disappointed that the team did not play up to my foolish expectations.

drkelsey55 likes this

i think our frustrations are a combination of issues.   CBFan is probably right.   the players are not the character and toughness of prior Ford teams.   but i am still convinced they are extremely talented for Billikens.   and combine that lack of "guts" with Ford's less than great coaching, we got a perfect storm for disappointment.   

right now i am about as low as a billiken fan as i was during the crewsplatt and ecker years.   yet this team will likely end up with 20 wins.    i have just come to take the toughness and never give up of prior billiken teams for granted and i am having a real hard time accepting that.  the only cure imo is either or both the players or the coach have to be replaced.  "guts" cant be taught.   jump shots and ball handling can.   but character and toughness is a trait a player has or doesnt.   

now there is no reason ford cant yield some of the coaching decisions to an assistant that has game coaching skills.   of course we dont have that assistant on this team likely.   he has surrounded himself with recruiters.   but that doesnt really matter as he wouldnt likely give them any latitude on game decisions anyway.

i think CBFan is right.   just sit back and enjoy our NIT run.

CBFan likes this

17 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Damn. This was depressing to read. 

30 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Damn. This was depressing to read. 

Yes, it is but that was one of the reasons I was never really excited about the Ford hire in the first place. He had oodles of talent at a Power 5 school and did not really have results that were anything to shout about.

Bizziken likes this

20 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Yes, it is but that was one of the reasons I was never really excited about the Ford hire in the first place. He had oodles of talent at a Power 5 school and did not really have results that were anything to shout about.

That's where I was at when we hired him too.  You never know some guys gotta be a good fit see Shaka at VCU and Marquette not at Texas.  But others just can't get it done.  I think we have the latter.  Makes me sad because there's not many things I care more about than Billiken basketball and yes I realize the absurdity of that statement. 

Schasz likes this

This is not an absurd statement. Ford surrounds himself with recruiters, well done. However who is capable to really lead the team? What are these changes that he keeps talking about prior to games, just to blame the team's disjointed performance after the game? I think Ford is a talker more than a leader. It is his responsibility to get the team ready to play and win.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

That's where I was at when we hired him too.  You never know some guys gotta be a good fit see Shaka at VCU and Marquette not at Texas.  But others just can't get it done.  I think we have the latter.  Makes me sad because there's not many things I care more about than Billiken basketball and yes I realize the absurdity of that statement. 

I am there with you ABomb on how much I am your self described absurdity.

I got too caught up with this is finally the season this team performs like a top twenty team and I got mad when that did not happen.

Its back to reality that this is a team of nice kids and coaches doing their best and their best probably does not get them to the big dance but will probably win 20 plus and have some other big moments like the Memphis win.

billiken_roy likes this