Jump to content

GDT: vs Providence


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m not sure his shot was off as much as he just didn’t get the space to shoot.

2/5 from 3 yesterday for 40 percent and only 2/3 from 2.

Not sure if his lack of shots was by design or just something that happened. Either way he needs to be more involved going forward.

It's like the 3 successful games Jimerson had before last weekend never happened.  It's like MBMs (not you dlarry) fail to notice Jimerson's periodic struggles in evading length and speed.  Ignoring Jimerson's limitations only results in a frustrating viewing experience.  He has added a lot to his game since he got here and I'm sure he'll continue building on his game in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

I heard the announcers say that.

What was your opinion on the 2 fouls I mentioned?

I think your interpretation is right on both.  That said, I don't think they had a problem with the foul called on Yuri's basket, they just seemed adamant that it was on the floor.

CBFan likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Did u not think he was standing stationary in the corner for a lot of minutes? I thought so. Last year he was on the move a lot; running the baseline circling to the other side. It seemed to me he didn’t do a lot of that yesterday. Granted, his shot was off. Hopefully, he didn’t like the sight lines. 

Might be attributable to 2 highly physical games in 2 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Providence/Big East whining re the men in striped shirts reminds of the old Norm Stewart (at Mizzou) line re Billy Tubbs (at Oklahoma):  "Billy doesn't lose.  He just gets cheated."

The best Billy Tubbs moment in my opinion was a game against Missouri at home that I was watching.  Tubbs and the OU fans were upset with the referee’s so the fans started throwing stuff on the court.  The refs asked Tubbs to get on the PA to settle down the crowd and to ask them not to throw stuff on the court.  Tubbs tells the fans to stop throwing stuff on the court no matter how bad the referee’s are, classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I paid very close attention to Jimerson yesterday.  He is always moving.  His defender(s) must get religion before every game because they are never off him.  I think he's quick enough and has the great release but either the screens aren't working or he's not using them well enough.  Never once did I see a double screen.  Carter, Locke and Floyd chased him ragged and won most times.  Carter blocked his shot, Carter deflected a pass to him off him, and Floyd was getting egged on the fans to be the defensive stopper most seemed to think he is.  

Every team seems to know us right now ----- keep the ball away from Collins, make Collins work his arse off, and cover Jimerson  like a blanket.  Frankly, we need more options.  Pickett needs to step up some, not much.  Parker needs to find himself.  Perkins needs to get healthy as now does Thatch.  And I am at a loss for why Hargrove contributes so little.  But there is no denying the yanks Ford pulls on TJ.

For once we got a call on the road in Collins' and one.  Down one and Providence with the ball and 26 seconds.  Bynum didn't initiate anything and that took 14 seconds.  Bynum then missed the shot and Okoro makes two.  Lost on those final four seconds was Collins defensive work to get the clock started by harassing on defense leaving Bynum with the 3/4 court heave (which almost banked in).  Providence fans blamed Cooley walking out.  Ford doesn't have the market cornered on bad vibes from the stands.

Yeah, I don't think Bynum is that good.  Our PG won it, theirs did not.  Bynum was 5 of 16 overall zip of 5 from three.  Croswell scored 11 .... I don't think he scored that in all his games total when at La Salle playing us.  Moore did very little.  I'd take Hopkins any day of the week.  

I still don't think Maryland is THAT good but they trashed us for sure.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I paid very close attention to Jimerson yesterday.  He is always moving. AGREED, he worked very hard for his 10

And I am at a loss for why Hargrove contributes so little.  But there is no denying the yanks Ford pulls on TJ. AGREED, Ford needs to give him more minutes, he does things on the court that energizes the team

I still don't think Maryland is THAT good. DISAGREE, MD is a top 15 team

 

 

brianstl likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I paid very close attention to Jimerson yesterday.  He is always moving.  His defender(s) must get religion before every game because they are never off him.  I think he's quick enough and has the great release but either the screens aren't working or he's not using them well enough.  Never once did I see a double screen.  Carter, Locke and Floyd chased him ragged and won most times.  Carter blocked his shot, Carter deflected a pass to him off him, and Floyd was getting egged on the fans to be the defensive stopper most seemed to think he is.  

Every team seems to know us right now ----- keep the ball away from Collins, make Collins work his arse off, and cover Jimerson  like a blanket.  Frankly, we need more options.  Pickett needs to step up some, not much.  Parker needs to find himself.  Perkins needs to get healthy as now does Thatch.  And I am at a loss for why Hargrove contributes so little.  But there is no denying the yanks Ford pulls on TJ.

For once we got a call on the road in Collins' and one.  Down one and Providence with the ball and 26 seconds.  Bynum didn't initiate anything and that took 14 seconds.  Bynum then missed the shot and Okoro makes two.  Lost on those final four seconds was Collins defensive work to get the clock started by harassing on defense leaving Bynum with the 3/4 court heave (which almost banked in).  Providence fans blamed Cooley walking out.  Ford doesn't have the market cornered on bad vibes from the stands.

Yeah, I don't think Bynum is that good.  Our PG won it, theirs did not.  Bynum was 5 of 16 overall zip of 5 from three.  Croswell scored 11 .... I don't think he scored that in all his games total when at La Salle playing us.  Moore did very little.  I'd take Hopkins any day of the week.  

I still don't think Maryland is THAT good but they trashed us for sure.

 

As I said before, Ford is predictable. His play book is known by other coaches and that is why he has had trouble with moving forward. He is a great recruiter and has great talent in the team, but the only way I see him getting us deep into the Dance is by playing everybody all the time. This will confuse the opposing team and may allow the talent our people have to show up and win the game. Otherwise, he can pull as many tantrums as he wishes, we are going to lose games we should have won.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As I said before, Ford is predictable. His play book is known by other coaches and that is why he has had trouble with moving forward. He is a great recruiter and has great talent in the team, but the only way I see him getting us deep into the Dance is by playing everybody all the time. This will confuse the opposing team and may allow the talent our people have to show up and win the game. Otherwise, he can pull as many tantrums as he wishes, we are going to lose games we should have won.

I did some thinking about these first few games: I think Ford is too lenient with is team. We need much more quick screen set ups and we do not steal nearly as much as players as fast as our should. Let’s hope the sample is too small and Jake Forester starts to catch those zinger passes from Perkins and Collins. We could have a special team if they start working hard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As I said before, Ford is predictable. His play book is known by other coaches and that is why he has had trouble with moving forward. He is a great recruiter and has great talent in the team, but the only way I see him getting us deep into the Dance is by playing everybody all the time. This will confuse the opposing team and may allow the talent our people have to show up and win the game. Otherwise, he can pull as many tantrums as he wishes, we are going to lose games we should have won.

If ford played everyone in every game he would be the first to do in the history of of collegiate basketball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

If nobody had ever done it before, there's no way to know if it would work without giving it a try.

he could do it like youth leagues and give equal time, scholarship players and walk ons would get about 13 minutes each. that would work out perfectly, a winning formula

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

As I said before, Ford is predictable. His play book is known by other coaches and that is why he has had trouble with moving forward. He is a great recruiter and has great talent in the team, but the only way I see him getting us deep into the Dance is by playing everybody all the time. This will confuse the opposing team and may allow the talent our people have to show up and win the game. Otherwise, he can pull as many tantrums as he wishes, we are going to lose games we should have won.

Sadly...the one who has become predictable is you, Old Guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, CBFan said:

The best Billy Tubbs moment in my opinion was a game against Missouri at home that I was watching.  Tubbs and the OU fans were upset with the referee’s so the fans started throwing stuff on the court.  The refs asked Tubbs to get on the PA to settle down the crowd and to ask them not to throw stuff on the court.  Tubbs tells the fans to stop throwing stuff on the court no matter how bad the referee’s are, classic.

ed hightower was the ref that called the technical on tubbs.   i remember watching that game as well.   it was indeed classic!

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ed hightower was the ref that called the technical on tubbs.   i remember watching that game as well.   it was indeed classic!

For another laugh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tubbs-Mizzou stuff was great back in the day.  One year Billy Tubbs got hit by a car while out running.  The Sooners came to Hearns a few months later and the Antlers were all wearing shirts with tire tracks on the front and “I jog with Billy Tubbs” on the back.

CBFan likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

ed hightower was the ref that called the technical on tubbs.   i remember watching that game as well.   it was indeed classic!

Those of you who have been on here know I was a huge Billy Tubbs fan.

There were rumors when I was in OKC in 88 and 89 that Billy would turn the heat up in the arena about 1 -2 degree for games. I went to a couple of practices over the 2 years and I swear you’d sweat just sitting there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Billy had them practicing with the heat up. Remember they were up and down the court those days and I’d think even 1 degree hotter would have an affect on the visiting team.

Also my little brother’s restaurant in Ft Worth is right next to TCU and they were sponsors. I do t remember the year but he had seats in the row behind the bench for a game with access to Billy and the players. He invited me to the game, but like an idiot, I had something going on and passed. I still regret that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I paid very close attention to Jimerson yesterday.  He is always moving.  His defender(s) must get religion before every game because they are never off him.  I think he's quick enough and has the great release but either the screens aren't working or he's not using them well enough.  Never once did I see a double screen.  Carter, Locke and Floyd chased him ragged and won most times.  Carter blocked his shot, Carter deflected a pass to him off him, and Floyd was getting egged on the fans to be the defensive stopper most seemed to think he is.  

Every team seems to know us right now ----- keep the ball away from Collins, make Collins work his arse off, and cover Jimerson  like a blanket.  Frankly, we need more options.  Pickett needs to step up some, not much.  Parker needs to find himself.  Perkins needs to get healthy as now does Thatch.  And I am at a loss for why Hargrove contributes so little.  But there is no denying the yanks Ford pulls on TJ.

For once we got a call on the road in Collins' and one.  Down one and Providence with the ball and 26 seconds.  Bynum didn't initiate anything and that took 14 seconds.  Bynum then missed the shot and Okoro makes two.  Lost on those final four seconds was Collins defensive work to get the clock started by harassing on defense leaving Bynum with the 3/4 court heave (which almost banked in).  Providence fans blamed Cooley walking out.  Ford doesn't have the market cornered on bad vibes from the stands.

Yeah, I don't think Bynum is that good.  Our PG won it, theirs did not.  Bynum was 5 of 16 overall zip of 5 from three.  Croswell scored 11 .... I don't think he scored that in all his games total when at La Salle playing us.  Moore did very little.  I'd take Hopkins any day of the week.  

I still don't think Maryland is THAT good but they trashed us for sure.

 

Croswell scored 24 points and added 18 boards in a game against SLU his sophomore season. Not a bad game. Haha! Just keep doubling down on those hot takes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I paid very close attention to Jimerson yesterday.  He is always moving.  His defender(s) must get religion before every game because they are never off him.  I think he's quick enough and has the great release but either the screens aren't working or he's not using them well enough.  Never once did I see a double screen.  Carter, Locke and Floyd chased him ragged and won most times.  Carter blocked his shot, Carter deflected a pass to him off him, and Floyd was getting egged on the fans to be the defensive stopper most seemed to think he is.  

Every team seems to know us right now ----- keep the ball away from Collins, make Collins work his arse off, and cover Jimerson  like a blanket.  Frankly, we need more options.  Pickett needs to step up some, not much.  Parker needs to find himself.  Perkins needs to get healthy as now does Thatch.  And I am at a loss for why Hargrove contributes so little.  But there is no denying the yanks Ford pulls on TJ.

For once we got a call on the road in Collins' and one.  Down one and Providence with the ball and 26 seconds.  Bynum didn't initiate anything and that took 14 seconds.  Bynum then missed the shot and Okoro makes two.  Lost on those final four seconds was Collins defensive work to get the clock started by harassing on defense leaving Bynum with the 3/4 court heave (which almost banked in).  Providence fans blamed Cooley walking out.  Ford doesn't have the market cornered on bad vibes from the stands.

Yeah, I don't think Bynum is that good.  Our PG won it, theirs did not.  Bynum was 5 of 16 overall zip of 5 from three.  Croswell scored 11 .... I don't think he scored that in all his games total when at La Salle playing us.  Moore did very little.  I'd take Hopkins any day of the week.  

I still don't think Maryland is THAT good but they trashed us for sure.

 

Thanks for expounding on why you think 90% of players aren't good.  You simply ignore their strong performances.  Croswell's 24 point, 18 rebound performance may be the most dominant performance by an A10 big man against us in a decade.

In addition, Bynum tore us up while at St. Joe's.  He's been an above point guard in the Big East.  Yuri got the best of him.  That's proof that Yuri is one of the best point guards in the country, not that Bynum sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The Tubbs-Mizzou stuff was great back in the day.  One year Billy Tubbs got hit by a car while out running.  The Sooners came to Hearns a few months later and the Antlers were all wearing shirts with tire tracks on the front and “I jog with Billy Tubbs” on the back.

He was wearing a Walkman while jogging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

And Clifton Moore averaged 13 & 6 with 3 blocks last year

Ya I didnt realize he had one good outing against us, I remembered the really bad game he had against us in the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's like the 3 successful games Jimerson had before last weekend never happened.  It's like MBMs (not you dlarry) fail to notice Jimerson's periodic struggles in evading length and speed.  Ignoring Jimerson's limitations only results in a frustrating viewing experience.  He has added a lot to his game since he got here and I'm sure he'll continue building on his game in the future.

Also with Jimerson, when no one else is hitting 3’s it makes focusing on denying and shutting him down much easier. 

3star_recruit likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These kids get scholarship offers ---- so they must be good enough.  Crosswell had one game in his entire La Salle career?  Good for him.  I watched Zimi Nwojeki go off for 30 against Rhode Island as a freshman ---- never to be heard from again.  I thought/think he 's better than Amzil. Still.   Shawn Haughn holds the Dayton record for threes in a game.  Guess who he did that against.  Not good otherwise.  Moore's averages were vastly inflated given La Salle's schedule.  I'd take Moore over Traore in a heartbeat.  Remember Tyus Verhoven at Duquesne?  Career game in beating us; crap career otherwise.  Bynum ate us up at St. Joe's?  I'll have to go back and check because if he did, it's not memorable.  

The A10 has had some really good players.  For sure.  Osunniyi had no offensive game.  Right now, neither does DaRon Holmes.  DeAndre Bembry was good.  So was Eric Paschall.  Treveon Graham.  Bones Hyland.  EC Mathews.  Obi.  Scoochie Smith.  Kellan Grady.  Jalen Crutcher.  Tre Michell.  But many didn't hit their hype as well.  The Mitchell twins.  Jon Sever.  Jio Fontane. Chip Hare.  Juwan Staten.  Sam Mennenga.  James Nelson.  Ricky Lindo.  

SLU's track record isn't all that impressive at times either.  It's recent history is good.  French.  Goodwin. Bess. Isabell. Reed.  Mitchell.  Lisch.  Liddell.  Vouyoukous.  But we also have failures in Hargrove, Manning, Glaze, Carter and many more.  And I haven't touched Jolley, Thompson, Husak and our all-time great Adam Knollmeyer.  I guess I have higher standards.

billiken_roy likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...