Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

So is it back to the G league or overseas. He’s still getting $1.93 mil, so he’s not hurting too much, 

Nah I feel like he'll get back on a team. Definitely not going overseas.

Here are the details about JG's contract back when it was reported a year ago.  Unfortunately, 24-25 was a team option and 23-24 was only guaranteed at $300,000.  Sounds like when he got waived so did the remainder of his contract.

11 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Woj Bomb

Loving this!!!    SLU Baseball plays Western Illinois next weekend.    The games are being played in a suburb of Memphis, where my wife is from, and we will be going.     SLUs Friday game is at 2pm.   The Grizzles (with Jordan Goodwin???) play the Clippers at 7pm.    This works for me!!   

image.png.9b9d6af0b38154c9c938c3759c6788d4.png

Got a chance to see JGood in Orlando when we were there for a soccer tournament.  He played the last few minutes in a blowout loss and got a bucket.  My son was in his Goodwin Suns jersey which is now a throwback.

37 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

image.png.9b9d6af0b38154c9c938c3759c6788d4.png

Got a chance to see JGood in Orlando when we were there for a soccer tournament.  He played the last few minutes in a blowout loss and got a bucket.  My son was in his Goodwin Suns jersey which is now a throwback.

AWESOME!!!   I was going to go to that game in Orlando a couple of weeks ago but had a work commitment.   I think the Miami game was the next day.  Glad you got to see him play!

DirtyRican likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

The timing of this 10 day signing is a little strange. The All-Star break is this weekend and takes up about half of the 10 days. The Grizzle’s have only 3 games  from the 13th to the 22nd. 

Is it 10 days or 10 games?

3 minutes ago, willie said:

10 days and the X tweet said he expects to join Tuesday. Teams can sign a player for two 10 day contracts and then have to commit to a full contract. 

I hadn’t heard of any suspension of the 10 days over the All Star break, but it would make sense as no one plays for 5 days. 

25 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

How would he even get a chance to land a spot on the bench at that point? 

Hopefully this is a sign that his contributions are recognized by many NBA teams, and Memphis jumped the gun earlier than others to secure him.  Hope it results in a semi-permanent roster spot!

5 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Here are the details about JG's contract back when it was reported a year ago.  Unfortunately, 24-25 was a team option and 23-24 was only guaranteed at $300,000.  Sounds like when he got waived so did the remainder of his contract.

This year's contract became fully guaranted as of January 10, so as of now Brooklyn must pay Goodwin the remainder of his 2023/24 salary. If he signs with another team, the amount Brooklyn must pay is reduced but not by that full amount, so Goodwin can potentially get more than if he wasn't waived.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/2024-nba-contract-guarantees-to-watch-2113/

Edited by NYBilliken
thetorch and cgeldmacher like this

It is true a team can only sign a player to two 10 day contracts....except if they are signed under the hardship exception which falls under a team having 4 or more players injured at once.  Goodwin's contract with Memphis will almost certainly fall under the hardship exception so they will be able to sign him more than twice if needed.  Memphis has 15 players already under contract, so without the hardship exemption means they wouldn't be able to sign another player.

10 day contracts can also be called 3 game contracts.  During the 10 day contract the team must play 3 games, if they don't the contract is extended until the 3rd game is played.  The contracts are paid by the day, so Goodwin is getting about 106,000 for ten days but if has to stay on the team for a couple extra days to get to the 3rd game, he gets paid for that as well.

Memphis can terminate the 10 day cotnract early, if they do Goodwin still gets paid for the full 10 days, the contracts are guaranteed.

cgeldmacher likes this

2 hours ago, willie said:

Here is more info on 10 day contracts.  They must contain 3 games, which Goodwin's will.

In those cases, the length of the 10-day contract is extended so that it covers three games for the team. It's rare that any team would have such a light schedule, since most play at least three games a week, but the rule generally comes into play for contracts signed just before the All-Star break.

• thetorch changed the title to Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

Memphis is terrible.  They had the Morant suspension, now he's out for the season.  Bane, Smart & Rose are all out currently.  They have lost 9 straight and are tanking.  This is a lost season for them.  Right now their PGs are Gilyard and Scottie Pippen Jr, Goodwin is better than these guys.  Hopefully he is given a chance to get some minutes and maybe start right away.  This Grizzlies team is much worse than even the Wizards teams Goodwin was on.  They are a terribly mismanaged franchise though and have been cycling through 10 day guys the past couple weeks, they've gone through 4.  Not a great fit for Goodwin long term but I hope it gives him an opportunity to showcase.  I really doubt he stays with them longer than the 10 day or 2 unless they just decide to keep their vets on IR the rest of the season.  Theway Memphis roster is currently they will be lucky to win more than 4-5 games the rest of the season.  

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Memphis is terrible.  They had the Morant suspension, now he's out for the season.  Bane, Smart & Rose are all out currently.  They have lost 9 straight and are tanking.  This is a lost season for them.  Right now their PGs are Gilyard and Scottie Pippen Jr, Goodwin is better than these guys.  Hopefully he is given a chance to get some minutes and maybe start right away.  This Grizzlies team is much worse than even the Wizards teams Goodwin was on.  They are a terribly mismanaged franchise though and have been cycling through 10 day guys the past couple weeks, they've gone through 4.  Not a great fit for Goodwin long term but I hope it gives him an opportunity to showcase.  I really doubt he stays with them longer than the 10 day or 2 unless they just decide to keep their vets on IR the rest of the season.  Theway Memphis roster is currently they will be lucky to win more than 4-5 games the rest of the season.  

The NBA sure has some horribly run franchises.  Makes you wish there was a relegation/promotion in the NBA, but it would never happen. The current owners would never set it up (NBA owner: “You want me set up a process whereby my NBA team can turn into a minor league team?  When pigs fly!”. ). Still, some way to force the idiots and guys who just want to skim off as much money as possible without actually being smart enough to figure out how to win would be nice. Rant over, find a way to succeed JGood!

I always thought there was going to be some contraction within the NBA.  Too many franchises, too many bad teams, too many bad owners.  My buddy once won tickets to a Wizards game in DC.  Face value on the ticket was $40 and they were in the last row of the arena, upper bowl end zone.  The freaking Wizards!  The NBA has had a more nomadic history than the other leagues.  Cincinnati.  Omaha.  St. Louis.  Fort Wayne.  Buffalo.  San Francisco.  San Diego.  Vancouver.  Seattle.  Syracuse.  Rochester.  Baltimore.  Pittsburgh.  I was saw Wilt and the 76ers play a home game in Hershey, PA.  I also find it amazing teams in Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City survive.  Must be the TV contracts propping them up because the money they pay some of these bigger buffoons is downright criminal.  

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I always thought there was going to be some contraction within the NBA.  Too many franchises, too many bad teams, too many bad owners.  My buddy once won tickets to a Wizards game in DC.  Face value on the ticket was $40 and they were in the last row of the arena, upper bowl end zone.  The freaking Wizards!  The NBA has had a more nomadic history than the other leagues.  Cincinnati.  Omaha.  St. Louis.  Fort Wayne.  Buffalo.  San Francisco.  San Diego.  Vancouver.  Seattle.  Syracuse.  Rochester.  Baltimore.  Pittsburgh.  I was saw Wilt and the 76ers play a home game in Hershey, PA.  I also find it amazing teams in Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City survive.  Must be the TV contracts propping them up because the money they pay some of these bigger buffoons is downright criminal.  

Oklahoma City is a huge success.   They pack that arena and the atmosphere is like a college game.   When I lived there, they had Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden and a pretty good bench.  They really could have won a title one of those years.  

3 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

Oklahoma City is a huge success.   They pack that arena and the atmosphere is like a college game.   When I lived there, they had Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden and a pretty good bench.  They really could have won a title one of those years.  

I used to follow the Thunder back then, because my brother and sister-in-law lived in OKC.  Amazing that they didn't win a title with that young group of stars.  All three, Durant, Westbrook, and Harden would win MVPs in their careers.  They also had Serge Ibaka when he was on top of his game.

OkieBilliken likes this

On 2/12/2024 at 1:34 PM, ACE said:

A bit of an A-10 flavor on that team: Gilyard, Watanabe, JGood and Vince Williams

The Grizzlies roster is full of non-P5 players: Gilyard (Richmond), Watanabe (George Washington), Goodwin (SLU), Vince Williams (VCU), Aldama (Loyola-Maryland), Morant (Murray State), Brandon Clark (Gonzaga), Derrick Rose (Conference USA at the time), Jemison (UAB), and Konchar (Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne).  That's ten non-P5 players on the roster.