GDT: vs La Salle

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I  know some expect full houses at every game but if you look at other A10 teams they would kill to get our attendance.  So chill out - when the team actually wins something things may change.

DePaul drew 2,600 at home for Big East foe Butler on Tuesday. 

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

According to ESPN 4600.

4100 was the regular season low against Iona.

COVID, opponent, and 2 losses is probably the reason but the attendance has been down this season.

what do you expect when you have a society that tells people their lives will be in danger if they attend a college basketball game??? it is what it is, and will only get worse...get used to it.....

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I have a good feeling about the Davidson game!!

maybe yuri reads the board and i have upset him saying Loyer is better and he comes out and dominates the game as A POINT GUARD.   I think we are better than davidson talentwise.   now the billikens have to win the chess game with their superior game pieces.   imo this is the most important game left.  we really need to win.  

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe yuri reads the board and i have upset him saying Loyer is better and he comes out and dominates the game as A POINT GUARD.   I think we are better than davidson talentwise.   now the billikens have to win the chess game with their superior game pieces.   imo this is the most important game left.  we really need to win.  

It will come down to coaching..and we know how that ends.  Travis can smile when we out athlete a team like yesterday.  Half court chess game- advantage opponents.  Bonnies showed that

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

both games were last second ad ons.   people have other commits and stuff already scheduled.   i give the fans that couldnt be there last night a pass.   what i dont advocate is not taking a few minutes to give away your tickets to someone else to use.   that is where our disappointment should be.   especially since now they are all digital tickets that can be transferred via email in just seconds.   not like you had to drive to cousin eddie's house in Highland to hand him the tickets.   

The owners of seat 1 and 2 next to me have only attended once and never fill the seats even for the big games. 
We get the comfort of spreading out with the unused seats but I would rather have those seats occupied by someone.

There is no excuse to hold onto the tickets with the technology.  Older fans like us have adapted to the electronic tickets and find it easy to transfer so I don’t get it.

I try to get my extra seats on this board as soon as possible if none of my fair weather fan friends feel like attending.

Only 2 home games left and a winning record I hope fans will turn out.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

This was a rescheduled game I believe and those can produce lots of personal schedule issues for fans.

3 kids with 3 different weeknight schedules. Really hard to carve out 3 hours on a Wednesday night at this time. The oldest just started playing basketball and loves it so I think she'll be very interested in attending games now, as the cheerleading angle wasn't convincing enough in the past. 

The issue no one wants to see or talk about is plainly that every single commercial building has to make enough profit to cover expenses or else it operates at a loss and has to be covered from other sources. Places that provide entertainment (sports are entertainment) require a fixed percentage of the seats available paid for each event to cover expenses. Each facility has a different number or  percentage of seats that must be paid for per event to be able to cover. I have no idea what the percentage for Chaifetz is, or how this compares to other arenas in the league. However, if this percentage of seats needed to cover expenses is not sold for every single event, there is a loss. The Chaifetz, as every other sports facility everywhere, cannot operate at a constant loss for an indefinite period of time, unless other sourced funds are used to keep it alive.

It is possible that the Chaifetz has enough corporate sponsors paying for groups or seats or party rooms, that have been and remain empty this season, to cover expenses. If this is the case, then they can continue operations at the current level of attendance for as long as the corporate sponsors do not withdraw. In my  opinion, the official attendance figures appear too low for the Chaifetz to self cover its expenses.

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Cardinal Baseball attendance was down, as was Giants and A’s (the latter big time) baseball attendance, Dodgers not so much once full capacity was allowed. The NFL teams in the West drew well, but I read the Raiders had few actual sellouts, had a not of near miss full capacity games. 

The same analysis can be applied to airlines, if they do not fill 86%+ of the seats / flight, the particular flight produces a loss. The % required to break even changes with the airline, the plane being flown, and a number of other factors. Many national airlines fly their planes at a loss but receive subsidies from their governments to continue operations. Other loss leader companies are deeply embedded inside the corporate structures and kept alive by the corporate parents.

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

4K attendance is def pathetic 

Two losses in a row.  High school basketball going on.  Rain forecast after the game and a poor opponent what do you expect?    It was around what I thought would be there. Wish it was more.  And I wish SLU did a better job of getting people to these games.  

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

what do you expect when you have a society that tells people their lives will be in danger if they attend a college basketball game??? it is what it is, and will only get worse...get used to it.....

Thank you for this Public Service Announcement.  Can you post a link to the memo 'society' sent out that attending basketball games at Chaifetz put my life in danger. I missed it or I wasn't on the distribution list. 

Are you talking about getting hit by a car crossing Compton after the game?  Or maybe getting mugged on Locust if I park up there?  Or is it getting carjacked in the Private Lot?  Getting punched by a disgruntled Dayton player or coach?

I have been to all but 2 games this season and didn't realize my life was in danger.  I guess I will now have to skip the final two games.  Why tempt fate?

Again, please post the link.  I NEED TO KNOW!!  Many, many thanks for your concern.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

both games were last second ad ons.   people have other commits and stuff already scheduled.   i give the fans that couldnt be there last night a pass.   what i dont advocate is not taking a few minutes to give away your tickets to someone else to use.   that is where our disappointment should be.   especially since now they are all digital tickets that can be transferred via email in just seconds.   not like you had to drive to cousin eddie's house in Highland to hand him the tickets.   

I have what I consider really good seats.  Front row at the end of the SLU bench.  Sometimes when I can’t attend a game I have a hard time giving these away.  Hate to say but it’s not always easy giving your Billikens tickets away.

7 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I have what I consider really good seats.  Front row at the end of the SLU bench.  Sometimes when I can’t attend a game I have a hard time giving these away.  Hate to say but it’s not always easy giving your Billikens tickets away.

I'm not in STL but give me 2 days notice and I'll drive in for those seats 😃

almaman, cgeldmacher, Slowry and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, Slowry said:

ummm HI

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

The owners of seat 1 and 2 next to me have only attended once and never fill the seats even for the big games. 
We get the comfort of spreading out with the unused seats but I would rather have those seats occupied by someone.

There is no excuse to hold onto the tickets with the technology.  Older fans like us have adapted to the electronic tickets and find it easy to transfer so I don’t get it.

I try to get my extra seats on this board as soon as possible if none of my fair weather fan friends feel like attending.

Only 2 home games left and a winning record I hope fans will turn out.

The people who sit in front of me attend very few games - young couple with 3 very small children so getting a sitter is probably not easy.  a couple times a year the tickets are given away.  The tickets are actually owned by the company one of their father owns and the company has 4 more tickets.  The parents go south for the winter so basically unless someone at the company is actively giving the tix away these seats often go unused.  At this point the school while they might like all the bought tix being used the bottom line is they would rather sell them and have them go unused then not sell them at all.  Trying to give tix away is not just that easy - not logistically but finding people who actually want them.  Casual fans will say yes if it is a game they have some interest in but if not they just are not that interested.  If we would sell the arena out for every game then giving tix away would be a lot easier.

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you for this Public Service Announcement.  Can you post a link to the memo 'society' sent out that attending basketball games at Chaifetz put my life in danger. I missed it or I wasn't on the distribution list. 

Are you talking about getting hit by a car crossing Compton after the game?  Or maybe getting mugged on Locust if I park up there?  Or is it getting carjacked in the Private Lot?  Getting punched by a disgruntled Dayton player or coach?

I have been to all but 2 games this season and didn't realize my life was in danger.  I guess I will now have to skip the final two games.  Why tempt fate?

Again, please post the link.  I NEED TO KNOW!!  Many, many thanks for your concern.

I'm sorry, if there wasn't an inherent danger being espoused, then why have we restricted attendance for the last two seasons and required worthless masks and proof of vaccine??? I'm sorry that the truth bothers you...but if you are truly concern, why don't you check with Dear Leader Fauci, I'm sure he can enlighten you...

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The people who sit in front of me attend very few games - young couple with 3 very small children so getting a sitter is probably not easy.  a couple times a year the tickets are given away.  The tickets are actually owned by the company one of their father owns and the company has 4 more tickets.  The parents go south for the winter so basically unless someone at the company is actively giving the tix away these seats often go unused.  At this point the school while they might like all the bought tix being used the bottom line is they would rather sell them and have them go unused then not sell them at all.  Trying to give tix away is not just that easy - not logistically but finding people who actually want them.  Casual fans will say yes if it is a game they have some interest in but if not they just are not that interested.  If we would sell the arena out for every game then giving tix away would be a lot easier.

sadly this is very likely right on the mark.   i guess in such a situation we should be happy for the program someone is at least buying the tickets.   gosh it sure seems it shouldnt be such a chore to give them away tho.   but of course we are all hopelessly addicted to billikens.  so we have no public accurate perception.  

2 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I'm sorry, if there wasn't an inherent danger being espoused, then why have we restricted attendance for the last two seasons and required worthless masks and proof of vaccine??? I'm sorry that the truth bothers you...but if you are truly concern, why don't you check with Dear Leader Fauci, I'm sure he can enlighten you...

So, no link to your Public Service Announcement that basketball games at Chaifetz are deadly?   

I have been to all but 2 Billiken games, and to my knowledge, no one has died from being at the game.  Do you have better information?  The folks who usually sit in my row weren't there last night.  Did they die from being at the St. Bonaventure game?

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So, no link to your Public Service Announcement that basketball games at Chaifetz are deadly?   

I have been to all but 2 Billiken games, and to my knowledge, no one has died from being at the game.  Do you have better information?  The folks who usually sit in my row weren't there last night.  Did they die from being at the St. Bonaventure game?

i almost died at the bonnies game.   but not from the virus.  from our performance on the court.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

are you on drugs???? are you actually denying all the clamor about not allowing public gatherings because they would be super spreader events???? my point, and maybe it is too complex for you, is that there is a large segment of people who are not attending games or other public events out of fear....i can't believe you are disputing this....Oh, and for the record, where did I say people were dying at games???? what I said is they were being told by many that it was dangerous to their health....

Our attendance has been up and down for the last few seasons at Chaifetz, for one reason or another. These weeknight games against mediocre, or bad, teams have not been big crowds historically. The program will see bigger crowds by winning and capturing the eyes of the fair weather fan. This isn’t new. The thing that stinks is bigger crowds can help a team player better, so it’s just a question of which is easier to come first.