GDT vs UAB.

When Ford sees the other team getting so many second chances, why not play Linssen and Okoro together plus keep Nesbitt, TJ, and either Yurimania or Jones at the PG? Maybe even let Nesbitt run the point and keep Jimerson in. That way we have our best board guys in the game. I found myself screaming more at their second chances than I did at missed open shots. Although I cried a little when Gibby missed on that wide open 3. If our bigs aren’t in foul trouble, and we’re having trouble collecting D rebounds the two posts together makes sense. I said at the end we lost because of our lousy D board work. Way too many second chance points beat us. 

billikenbill likes this

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

When Ford sees the other team getting so many second chances, why not play Linssen and Okoro together plus keep Nesbitt, TJ, and either Yurimania or Jones at the PG? Maybe even let Nesbitt run the point and keep Jimerson in. That way we have our best board guys in the game. I found myself screaming more at their second chances than I did at missed open shots. Although I cried a little when Gibby missed on that wide open 3. If our bigs aren’t in foul trouble, and we’re having trouble collecting D rebounds the two posts together makes sense. I said at the end we lost because of our lousy D board work. Way too many second chance points beat us. 

That and I wish he would press sooner/ more often. But looks like we will never get that. 

I watched the game, and did not really see us doing anything wrong. We played a tough team. It was pretty obvious that the refs were not calling any fouls around the basket. That generally benefits the bigger team, when athleticism is equal. In this case, Jemison and Buffen were just bigger and ate up more boards. We probably need to hustle more, but part of it was just the flow and style of game.

25 minutes ago, almaman said:

There were amazing amount of weird bounces off the rim causing some missed RBs too.

Yes. Uab’s missed FTs line-driving off the rim right to the second guy along the lane. They were happening so fast there wasn’t any way one of our guys could react soon enough. Happened a number of times on jumpers too. 

That’s just random stuff that happens to a team when it’s not their night.

9 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Yes. Uab’s missed FTs line-driving off the rim right to the second guy along the lane. They were happening so fast there wasn’t any way one of our guys could react soon enough. Happened a number of times on jumpers too. 

That’s just random stuff that happens to a team when it’s not their night.

another demonstration of reason team  should always keep someone up there just in case.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

There were amazing amount of weird bounces off the rim causing some missed RBs too.

That was my take as well.  It seemed like quite a few times the ball flew off the rim out 10 or so feet which eliminated anyone near the basket getting the rebound.

UAB’s offense was really good and executed well their offense was fun to watch.

In spite of how well UAB offense played and how well UAB rebounded it was a game SLU almost won.

We see when Jimerson has a bad game it hurts.  Our team worked so hard and got Jimerson open for a shot in the final minute to take the lead.

Our team still makes too many mistakes the turnovers are awful and must stop.  Jimerson and Collins must improve.

In Spite of everything including the loss of Perkins the team was in the game.

This is a good team it will win the A10 and coach Ford is a good coach.

56 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I noticed that too. And keep in mind they had a 6’10” and 7’ dude. Both pretty athletic.  TJ is playing the four and he is 6’3”… that makes a difference 

This is a big deal. I am a big TJ fan but he is not a defensive 4. He failed to grab an early rebound and got yanked. He nor Ford were happy. I hope 3 star is right when he has said it won’t be as big a problem in conference play as teams won’t be as big. Our 2 headed center may be French’s offensive superior they are not his rim protection. 

Did GJ score in the second half? He may have had 8 pts at the break.

We were 1/9 from the 3 in the second half. Just hit our average, we win the game.

We were that close to overcoming the rebound differential.

We are ok. Never thought we would go undefeated the rest of our OOC schedule.

Next man/game up.

Go Bills

Very rarely will I watch a SLU game and think afterwards that the refs did a very good job.  That was my thought after this game.  There were maybe one or two calls that I questioned.  Also, despite there being a lot of action, they made very few calls, especially in the first half.  Kudos to the refs on this one.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Very rarely will I watch a SLU game and think afterwards that the refs did a very good job.  That was my thought after this game.  There were maybe one or two calls that I questioned.  Also, despite there being a lot of action, they made very few calls, especially in the first half.  Kudos to the refs on this one.

My only real complaint is their Dwight Howard wannabe got away with a blatant moving screen on Fred Thatch on the play that was their last scoring possession, the 3 in the corner in front of their bench. Obi Toppin level of moving screen...had that been called, they're 3 points fewer and we have a completely different ball game. 

8 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

My only real complaint is their Dwight Howard replica got away with a blatant moving screen on Fred Thatch on the play that was their last scoring possession, the 3 in the corner in front of their bench. Obi Toppin level of moving screen...had that been called, they're 3 points fewer and we have a completely different ball game. 

I agree, but if by the time you get to the end of the game, if it isn't a foul fest, and you can only think of a few calls you disagree with, that's a successfully reffed game.

HoosierPal likes this

34 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree, but if by the time you get to the end of the game, if it isn't a foul fest, and you can only think of a few calls you disagree with, that's a successfully reffed game.

I don't know man. I think we are one of the teams who will benefit moreso than most teams in the country from foul-fest type games. Our FT shooting and depth are our strengths - especially relative to the teams in our conference and on our remaining sched

cheeseman and Bills By 40 like this

We are a different team this year and we need the refs to a call a normal game not one that is too ticky tac and not one that allows mugging.  From what I saw the refs let them play - that usually leads to some mugging going on.  Who got the benefit of that is I guess is where you sit.  I thought there were several fouls that could have been called that were not - UAB's guards really liked to push off and the refs let it go along with them having several over the back on rebounds that the refs let go.   I am not complaining just pointing out what I saw from the stands.  I do agree that it would be hard pressed to blame the loss on the refs.  We did not help ourselves in a few categories.

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

My only real complaint is their Dwight Howard replica got away with a blatant moving screen on Fred Thatch on the play that was their last scoring possession, the 3 in the corner in front of their bench. Obi Toppin level of moving screen...had that been called, they're 3 points fewer and we have a completely different ball game. 

It seems a moving screen has to be pretty blatant to get called. It's a pet peeve of mine. I'd estimate 50% of screens are actually illegal, and over half of those are for the lean or sticking the thigh leg out as the player goes by. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't exactly disagree, but that's a game changing call if it's made correctly. I thought it was a 3 but apparently they gave him a 2, but that 2-point swing would've kept it a one possession game with ~30 seconds on the clock and instead of Yuri jacking up a 3 nine seconds into our possession we have a completely different strategy. image.thumb.png.6894261f64a2b2625c3d508fcbc66f69.png

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It seems a moving screen has to be pretty blatant to get called. It's a pet peeve of mine. I'd estimate 50% of screens are actually illegal, and over half of those are for the lean or sticking the thigh leg out as the player goes by. 

I agree - I complain all the time about players pushing off to create space or using stiff arms to protect their dribbles, and moving screens is a big one too, but this screen was BLATANT. First of all, the man committing the moving screen is 7'0" 260lbs so it's very visible, but to make matters worse he set a screen then took two whole steps after initial contact with Fred. I was hollering about that one.  

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

-I agree, call the rules by the book or rewrite the book