Jump to content

Nesbitt!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

 

Nesbitt to wear jersey #0?  Looks like any hopes of Goodwin returning are gone.

Well you are probably right.  (Do I need blue font?)

Remember the troll, I forget which one, who said Zeke Moore left because Goodwin wanted his #23 jersey.  "Deja vu all over again".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

How about a power forward transfer? SLU still needs height and and length in that position. I know we’re looking at a few PF transfers and the signing would not hurt feelings on the team. I hope.

Haven't heard much about Fletcher. Not saying it's a possibility, but after some initial speculation about Florida State, things have been quiet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Haven't heard much about Fletcher. Not saying it's a possibility, but after some initial speculation about Florida State, things have been quiet.

While I would never advocate turning down talent, what need would he fulfill right now? We have a traffic jam at the wing spots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

How about a power forward transfer? SLU still needs height and and length in that position. I know we’re looking at a few PF transfers and the signing would not hurt feelings on the team. I hope.

we do?  okoro has 2 years.   linnsen has another year.   bell has 3 more years.  lorentssen has 4 years.   seems like we have the numbers at the bigs.   unless you are suggesting we recruit over some of the players, which i am never in favor of.  

now point guard.   there we could use maybe a player as we have a walkon backup and supposedly nesbitt has point guard skills.   so that appears is possibly a drop off in talent after yuri.   

definitely seem to be full up with wings imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Well you are probably right.  (Do I need blue font?)

Remember the troll, I forget which one, who said Zeke Moore left because Goodwin wanted his #23 jersey.  "Deja vu all over again".

Yep.  I was trying to make a joke about that poster's Zeke Moore comment.  I think it was either TFordTRavs or GloryDaze, but those were maybe the same person.  🤷‍♂️

In no way do I actually think that Nesbitt a pic of himself in a #0 jersey has any impact on Jordan Goodwin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we do?  okoro has 2 years.   linnsen has another year.   bell has 3 more years.  lorentssen has 4 years.   seems like we have the numbers at the bigs.   unless you are suggesting we recruit over some of the players, which i am never in favor of.  

now point guard.   there we could use maybe a player as we have a walkon backup and supposedly nesbitt has point guard skills.   so that appears is possibly a drop off in talent after yuri.   

definitely seem to be full up with wings imo. 

I think Linnsen still has 2 years left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we do?  okoro has 2 years.   linnsen has another year.   bell has 3 more years.  lorentssen has 4 years.   seems like we have the numbers at the bigs.   unless you are suggesting we recruit over some of the players, which i am never in favor of.  

now point guard.   there we could use maybe a player as we have a walkon backup and supposedly nesbitt has point guard skills.   so that appears is possibly a drop off in talent after yuri.   

definitely seem to be full up with wings imo. 

I have no problem with adding the PF or PG equivalent of Jimmy Bell with one of our remaining scholarships.  It's not like mid major recruits have an abundance of options right now.  If the 479th ranked high schooler gets an offer in this environment, even if there are no minutes available, he's in no position to be picky.  That kid will most likely get recruited over given the quality of the local recruits in the 2022 class, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Sooo...let's take Strickland for example.  You recruit him with the pitch that there will be time available on the wing do to graduation.  You then recruit over him.  First two years will consist of limited playing time.  With those same players slotted ahead of him for future playing time.  Where does the "coach em up" philosophy come into play? 

1. You have to set expectations on what you want to see from the player in classroom, practice games. 

2. Follow up with feedback regularly giving honest assessments.

The overall philosophy is if you do what you need to and you're good enough you'll play.  If Strickland isn't doing 1 or either then he doesn't play.  Now there are other factors to consider of course team dynamics (formal/ informal influence on others) recruiting pipelines, maintaining relationships etc.  But the coaches job is to win and get these players through school.

If you can't accept that you're not good enough to play and don't think you will see the floor, then ok I'll make some calls for you with other coaches I know. 

There's many ways to win, this is just how I'd do it (it's how I do it basically on another kinda team).  I do manage a lot of 18-20 something age personnel and maybe once or twice in high stress situations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

however, if he truly was a one and done talent as penny claimed, wouldnt that be good enough to work into the rotation asap?   something doesnt add up imo.  i am hoping i am wrong and we all arent just drunk with his potential and ignoring other issues.  i do not want gordon 2.0.   not saying there is any issues, but something isnt right.   and if people think it was just a matter that penny had over promised roster spots, well if that was true, are you telling me as a projected one and done talent, nesbitt wasnt one of the 13 best players?   

crossing my fingers and hoping this works.  

Except he joined in Jan. So depending on when he arrived it takes a while for even a talented incoming Frosh to learn the offense and defense and really just to get acclimated to the D1 game. Memphis was a tourney level team he's trying to break into so there are talented players there also. He's a top 50 level recruit not a 1 and done so I can see him not earning minutes at that point. Memphis has a tourney visit on the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Except he joined in Jan. So depending on when he arrived it takes a while for even a talented incoming Frosh to learn the offense and defense and really just to get acclimated to the D1 game. Memphis was a tourney level team he's trying to break into so there are talented players there also. He's a top 50 level recruit not a 1 and done so I can see him not earning minutes at that point. Memphis has a tourney visit on the line. 

did you watch any memphis games?   didnt look that complicated.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

did you watch any memphis games?   didnt look that complicated.   

They were the #1 ranked defense in the country so it's not like they were running around with their heads cut off...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

TJ's gonna play... I think he's going to be one of our most important players these next two-three seasons.

I hope TJ really works on his perimeter game and his handles. I know he shot a good % but I never got the feeling he could continue that with a much higher volume. Can you imagine TJ shooting 6-8 3's a game at 35-40%. How do you stop that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

1. You have to set expectations on what you want to see from the player in classroom, practice games. 

2. Follow up with feedback regularly giving honest assessments.

The overall philosophy is if you do what you need to and you're good enough you'll play.  If Strickland isn't doing 1 or either then he doesn't play.  Now there are other factors to consider of course team dynamics (formal/ informal influence on others) recruiting pipelines, maintaining relationships etc.  But the coaches job is to win and get these players through school.

If you can't accept that you're not good enough to play and don't think you will see the floor, then ok I'll make some calls for you with other coaches I know. 

There's many ways to win, this is just how I'd do it (it's how I do it basically on another kinda team).  I do manage a lot of 18-20 something age personnel and maybe once or twice in high stress situations.

I'm with you. I have no issue recruiting over anyone. If you want to play be better than your competition. No one should be guaranteeing anyone 4 years worth of quality minutes. 

Are we going to not recruit someone who is clearly better than a current player because that player may not play as much now? I sure as heck hope not. You recruit the best players you can and let playing time work itself out. Everybody gets and opportunity to compete. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion TJ Hargrove has the highest ceiling of any of the SLU players on last year's team.  But he's raw. Need to add a little more basketball player to the athlete.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I hope TJ really works on his perimeter game and his handles. I know he shot a good % but I never got the feeling he could continue that with a much higher volume. Can you imagine TJ shooting 6-8 3's a game at 35-40%. How do you stop that? 

Even better if you imagine this.  Once he shows that he can consistently hit the three, guys will come busting out to get a hand in his face.  Then, he fakes, lets his man fly, and goes to the hoop for a back board rattler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm with you. I have no issue recruiting over anyone. If you want to play be better than your competition. No one should be guaranteeing anyone 4 years worth of quality minutes. 

Are we going to not recruit someone who is clearly better than a current player because that player may not play as much now? I sure as heck hope not. You recruit the best players you can and let playing time work itself out. Everybody gets and opportunity to compete. 

i just think a coach that sat in mom's living room and promised them that coach would be their away from home father and make them all they can be and then coaches them up for basketball should be the norm and not the exception.   they found the player and begged them to come.   now live with it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't wait til we play someone and throw the all-STL lineup(s) at them - any combination of Fred, Yuri, TJ, Okoro, Nesbitt, and JP... Would be sweet and I can definitely see some sportscenter top plays coming from any of them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i just think a coach that sat in mom's living room and promised them that coach would be their away from home father and make them all they can be and then coaches them up for basketball should be the norm and not the exception.   they found the player and begged them to come.   now live with it.  

What you're advocating equals Soderbergh 4 evah.

 

There's a coaches responsibility to be honest and there's a players responsibility to pass glasses and play/practice hard. 

In that initial pitch you're going to sell the best case scenario and it's not a lie.  Hey 2 star recruit come to SLU, I see some Marcus Smart in you and you can help us win the A10.  But the player has to be good enough to get on the court.  The coach has to keep recruiting the best players he can get whether or not it's "recruiting over".  If I recruited over you then be better.  I'm not saying run a dude off, you can still stay on scholarship but you may not see the floor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

What you're advocating equals Soderbergh 4 evah.

 

There's a coaches responsibility to be honest and there's a players responsibility to pass glasses and play/practice hard. 

In that initial pitch you're going to sell the best case scenario and it's not a lie.  Hey 2 star recruit come to SLU, I see some Marcus Smart in you and you can help us win the A10.  But the player has to be good enough to get on the court.  The coach has to keep recruiting the best players he can get whether or not it's "recruiting over".  If I recruited over you then be better.  I'm not saying run a dude off, you can still stay on scholarship but you may not see the floor.

i never said a player has to play.   i just NEVER want a recruit run off.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i never said a player has to play.   i just NEVER want a recruit run off.   

Got ya, I don't think that's what recruiting over means.  I agree don't run dudes off but be honest with them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I'm with you. I have no issue recruiting over anyone. If you want to play be better than your competition. No one should be guaranteeing anyone 4 years worth of quality minutes. 

Are we going to not recruit someone who is clearly better than a current player because that player may not play as much now? I sure as heck hope not. You recruit the best players you can and let playing time work itself out. Everybody gets and opportunity to compete. 

Yes, a coach should always be trying to upgrade talent. If that is called "recruiting over somebody" then so be it. Playing time has to be earned. Team comes first.

If a freshman gets a lot of playing time one year, but the following year gets less because the coach went out and got somebody better, those are the breaks. It's a competitive sport.

Loyalty is a two-way street and coaches can do everything right, spend a lot of time recruiting him, treat a player well, help develop him, but still have that player decide to up and leave. It's easier than ever now, so coaches have to constantly be looking to upgrade the roster and just hope everything aligns and you have the right mix of players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...