2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I despise Mizzou, but typically don't get fired up about the debate about whether we should play. Its been 19 years of the same sheat and I have no expectations of us playing anytime soon. But when I saw that note yesterday and a bunch of Mizzou fans acting like we were dodging them because we didn't accept a 2 for 1, it just pisses me off. Such nonsense.

Could you imagine if we had actually accepted that nonsense offer last year. We would have played in COMO last season, had the return game this year at the Chaifetz with no fans, and then been contractually obligated it play in COMO next year. Would have been a 0-2 for all practical purposes!

If it ever gets to an offer of a pure home and home and SLU declines, then shame on us. Until that offer is made, Mizzou is not negotiating in good faith and people need to understand that.

Maybe we can get Stu Durando to write an article that SLU can not afford to provide a similar 2:1 split on home games to a program as good as Kansas, so they could never provide such a luxury to lowly Mizzou. The MU fan base would lose it!

Even if people believe that Mizzou is the bigger, stronger program or that power conference teams inherently deserve what they want out of scheduling, there's no way to argue that the difference between the two programs is great enough to warrant a 2-for-1.

If they want to try that with Kansas City, which just jumped to the Summit from the horrible WAC and is trying to boost its profile, I'm sure KC would jump at the chance to get Mizzou in town for a big game that they could even play downtown.

It doesn't make sense for SLU to accept it, though, and it's dishonest to frame it as SLU ducking Mizzou by not taking the deal.

I suggest we accept their 2 for 1 deal contingent on it starting this year in Columbia.  All games this year are neutral court games anyway.  Our guys would still wake up in their own beds and go back to sleep in their own beds.  Then next year would be a Chaifetz and then back to Columbia for the third year.  With their early wins over Oregon and Wichita State, beating MU this year will give us a Q2 win that would help.

NextYearBill and HoosierPal like this

Put it out on social media that we are trying to accept their deal and that if they don't allow us to accept the offer this year, then we would only be willing to do a 1 for 1 in subsequent years.  That way it puts the ball back in their court and will shut up their fans.

6 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

When you think about it, Ben Fredrickson is just trolling both fan bases. I doubt Mizzou even made that offer because it would just be rejected. Didn’t they win like 5 games last year?

I remember there being talk of a 2-for-1 offer last year or the year before. It happened, I just don't remember exactly when.

32 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I suggest we accept their 2 for 1 deal contingent on it starting this year in Columbia.  All games this year are neutral court games anyway.  Our guys would still wake up in their own beds and go back to sleep in their own beds.  Then next year would be a Chaifetz and then back to Columbia for the third year.  With their early wins over Oregon and Wichita State, beating MU this year will give us a Q2 win that would help.

Oh heck no.  Don't you think it is better to play a sub-300 team like SIUE so that our walk-on's can get minutes than play a Top 50 team?

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Mizzou allows some fans... 

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Oh heck no.  Don't you think it is better to play a sub-300 team like SIUE so that our walk-on's can get minutes than play a Top 50 team?

Was that supposed to be blue ink?  I'd rather play a top 50 team, even if it is one that we have a contentious relationship with like Mi$$ou.

HoosierPal likes this

57 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think we beat them this year regardless of a few fans in their stands.

agree, but i still wouldn't do a 2 for 1......the offer was never genuine to begin with, if they truly wanted a game it would have happened...it's just a face saving ploy on their part.... i suspect they will be begging for a game in a few years, and I would tell them to pound sand.....

billiken_roy likes this

27 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT! There’s a reason Mizzou is only offering SLU 2 for 1s but scheduling home and homes with lesser mid-majors like Liberty. They want to assert themselves to fans, donors, the media and recruits that they’re the dominant big brother basketball program in the state of Missouri. If we accept a deal like that, it sends a message that we believe that’s the type of deal we deserve. Even if we win all 3 games, it diminishes public perception of our program. Ford and company know this. Let’s not forget what a tough schedule we would’ve had this year if it weren’t for Covid. We don’t need Mizzou. We’ll do just fine without them. They can take their 2 for 1 offer and shove it!

Honestly acting like Mizou doesn't exist, and playing at a high level is the best middle finger. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Honestly acting like Mizou doesn't exist, and playing at a high level is the best middle finger. 

Exactly. We’ll keep recruiting the city of St. Louis well and playing excellent basketball. Mizzou can do whatever it wants. It doesn’t concern us. We’re doing just fine.

7 hours ago, cheeseman said:

That was my point - you got people posting - not here - that it was legit offer.  How can 2-1 be a legit offer?   The link I saw did not detail the offer.

Yeah my comment was aimed at Brighton. I’ll leave it there. 

I actually now think there is a about 50-50 chance that a Billikens vs. Mizzou game happens for this season.  Howard Richards is inside Mizzou's athletic department and is, also, in charge of external relations for their College of Arts and Sciences.  Not the guy who would just go off and make comments like his tweets if there wasn't actually something that is trying to be worked out.

Littlebill likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I actually now think there is a about 50-50 chance that a Billikens vs. Mizzou game happens for this season.  Howard Richards is inside Mizzou's athletic department and is, also, in charge of external relations for their College of Arts and Sciences.  Not the guy who would just go off and make comments like his tweets if there wasn't actually something that is trying to be worked out.

IF this is to happen, Id prefer we play at mizzou.  Would rather get the away game credit for NET, and be owed a home game in the future once fans can be there. 

Just now, wgstl said:

IF this is to happen, Id prefer we play at mizzou.  Would rather get the away game credit for NET, and be owed a home game in the future once fans can be there. 

I agree with playing at Mizzou, but honestly I think any agreement that happens this year would probably be only for this year.  

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I agree with playing at Mizzou, but honestly I think any agreement that happens this year would probably be only for this year.  

I agree, but if something happens down the line, SLU will have that in their back pocket 

If this series is to ever be played, now is the time. We go to Mizzou this year for a game we desperately need, and then play home and home. Everyone wins. They get to say they got a 2 for 1 and we get a power 5 school on the schedule for 3 years and get a much coveted game on the road vs. a top 25 team, next week. We need this game or one like it. Why not parlay it into something that will pay off for the next couple of years? And man will it pay off, with the biggest winners being the respective athletic departments. A full house for a non conference game, along with a good TV deal would be nice for the budget. 

1 minute ago, DOC said:

If this series is to ever be played, now is the time. We go to Mizzou this year for a game we desperately need, and then play home and home. Everyone wins. They get to say they got a 2 for 1 and we get a power 5 school on the schedule for 3 years and get a much coveted game on the road vs. a top 25 team, next week. We need this game or one like it. Why not parlay it into something that will pay off for the next couple of years? And man will it pay off, with the biggest winners being the respective athletic departments. A full house for a non conference game, along with a good TV deal would be a nice for the budget. 

Do we desperately need a game at Missouri that bad?  I don't think we do.  Our Non-conference schedule went to the dogs but we are still on the verge of cracking the top 25.  I don't think we are all that desperate.....